PDA

View Full Version : Retest of Lee 30-150TL-PB today

Maven
07-20-2007, 04:55 PM
All, I just returned from the range after a rather pleasing session with the Lee group buy CB. I used the same rifle (Win. Mod. 70, .30-06), but dropped the powder charge to 13.5gr. Blue Dot (~1,550fps v. 1610 with 14gr.; will calculate the mean & SD later). I also added ~1lb. of WW's to my alloy, hoping to harden it a bit as the initial batch of CB's leaded the bore. Accuracy was virtually the same with sized (to .311") and unsized CB's. It wasn't difficult to put 5 into 1" at 50yds. (Our 100yd. range is still being refurbished.) Indeed I got several cloverleafs at that range and 4 in an almost perfect 1/2" square.* Also, I increased the OAL to 3.15" (from 3.125") so that the rifling engraved the first 2 tumble lube grooves. The downside of all this is that the bbl., which normally doesn't lead, did so on the initial test and on this one. The odd thing is that the bulk of the leading was just forward of the chamber with virtually none at the muzzle, a first for that rifle. Although it was a PITA, I dry patched after every 5 shots and then after every 10 to keep the accumulation to a minimum. Water dropping, but not sizing the CB's may offer a partial solution.

*These results were obtained with visually inspected CB's. I've since learned that cavities 1 & 2 of my mold drop bullets that are within .1 - .2gr. of each other. Cavities 3 - 6 cast that closely too, but their droppings are slightly heavier.

Buckshot
07-20-2007, 05:51 PM
.............Paul, another good report. I wish I was retired so I had some time to do that stuff (shooting :-)). As you know, leading right there in the beginning of the barrel and not at the end could point to something besides lube and/or alloy problems. I wonder if the boolit might be riviting? You accuracy is certainly very respectable in any regards.

Do you have any 4227 or 2400? I wonder how a slower powder used to attain similar velocities would appear on the target, and the leading that you were seeing? Would need a bit of dacron or somesuch. Also, maybe firing two 5 round groups without wipeing would be interesting to see if the leading was accumilative or if accuracy remained the same?

Of course I'm not the one doing the cleaning afterwards, but there is ALWAYS Chore Boy!

..............Buckshot

mto7464
07-20-2007, 05:55 PM
Riviting???

45 2.1
07-20-2007, 06:47 PM
I've still got mold trouble, but I made a second casting with 50/50 alloy and water dropped them, sized with 0.311" Lyman die with my lube. I pushed them to 1500 fps with no leading and the muzzle was wet. 2 MOA accuracy with open sights in a 30-30.

Maven
07-20-2007, 08:11 PM
Rick, You may be right about using a slower powder.* I don't have 2400, but I do have WC 820, which is slower than Blue Dot and a proven performer in my rifles. Interestingly enough, I was able to fire 8 - 10 shots at 2 minute intervals (to prevent bbl. overheating) before accuracy degraded. Btw, the lubed CB's wore LBT Blue, although my 1st choice would have been Felix Lube. And yes, I did use Ed's Red and a brush wrapped with Chore Boy to remove the leading.

45. 2.1, I though about using that bullet in my .30-30, but probably will size it to .310"; if theres too much deformation, then .311". My CB's drop large enough to consider using them in my Finnish Nagant (Mod. 28/30), since it prefers a .311" CB.

*The slower powders I have on hand are better suited to gas-checked rifle bullets. This plain-based rifle bullet stuff is new to me and will push me to decrease the charges of the powders I use, e.g. WC 820, and chronograph everything, which is probably a good idea anyway.

David R
07-20-2007, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the report. I have not shot any yet.

David