PDA

View Full Version : WW identification help

Triggernosis
02-01-2013, 03:43 PM
I picked up a few WW's from my bud at the tire shop this morning (if he wasn't my buddy, I don't think I'd ever get any - one lady at another tire store said everyone and his brother was coming in trying to get them to *gasp* "make ammo with!" I got the feeling that if I'd told her that I was using them for something else she may have given me a few. :-( )
Anyway, please take a look at these and tell me if any of them are lead and will work. I have a ton of them labeled "AL" and "AL MC" on them. The middle two labeled "30" and "45" perplex me, as I can bend them like lead, but they almost seem more brittle than pure lead...I think - I'm still new at this. 60043

autopilotmp
02-01-2013, 04:08 PM
If you can bend or cut them with dikes then they are not steel or zinc, the Al means they are for aluminum rims. That it's my experience, melt at a low temp and if you miss one our two they will float on the melt. There is a complete thread sticky over in the lead forum on ww id.

Triggernosis
02-01-2013, 04:34 PM
Thanks, auto!

02-01-2013, 05:03 PM
They are painted, lead alloy weights. Just keep them segregated from the stick-on weights.

Gtek
02-01-2013, 05:50 PM
You are a blessed man. If you were to have them checked they can have all kinds of small amount stuff, They are fine. Mix 50/50 with stick-ons-range scrap for pistol and slow rifle or whatever your needs, if they do not fill add a little tin. Spend the time in the sticky's and understand the blends for your needs. If you really have a ton and it bothers you, well I cannot help you with that cause you probably live to far away. Gtek

ssnow
02-01-2013, 07:47 PM
The third one down looks like a zinc weight. That particular shape/style of weight can fool you, because both lead and zinc weights use that shape. Check that third one with a set of cutters to be certain, but it looks like a zinc weight to me.

Triggernosis
02-01-2013, 09:24 PM
The third one down looks like a zinc weight. That particular shape/style of weight can fool you, because both lead and zinc weights use that shape. Check that third one with a set of cutters to be certain, but it looks like a zinc weight to me.
You're correct. I first tapped it on my vise and could easily hear a "ping" vs. a thud. Tried to nip the end and it was pretty doggone hard, so I tossed it in the trash pile.

Thanks again, gentlemen.

500MAG
02-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Don't throw the zinc ones out. There's a guy on here called Shady Grady that will trade you straight up the zinc for lead.

Triggernosis
02-01-2013, 09:40 PM
Don't throw the zinc ones out. There's a guy on here called Shady Grady that will trade you straight up the zinc for lead.
Oh, ****! I'll bet there's 10 lbs. of them already in the trash can...the same trashcan that I threw that stinkin' coyote in that I shot last weekend, so they aren't coming out.
Thanks, though - I'll be saving them from now on.

02-01-2013, 10:20 PM
The middle two labeled "30" and "45" perplex me, as I can bend them like lead, but they almost seem more brittle than pure lead...I think

That statement is what caused me to call all of them painted lead alloy.

ssnow
02-01-2013, 10:31 PM
You're correct. I first tapped it on my vise and could easily hear a "ping" vs. a thud. Tried to nip the end and it was pretty doggone hard, so I tossed it in the trash pile.

Thanks again, gentlemen.

You're very welcome. As mentioned, there is a lead weight that is shaped very similar to the 3rd zinc weight, always watch for that shape. The rest all appear to be lead.

Notice the shape of the 4th weight, which is also the same style as the 6th (bottom right) weight. Most of the zinc weights that I find have this same shape, but they are marked Zn for zinc. Always be watching for this shape as well.

The weights marked AL means that the weight is made for for aluminum wheels. Notice that the clip on these weights is deeper than on the others in the side view. The MC stands for "Micro", the brand of weight.

Always check any suspect weights with the cutters, and watch for these two shapes. After sorting through a couple of buckets, you will be able to sort them much faster, as you will be able to visually indentify 90% or better without the cutters.

ssnow
02-01-2013, 10:40 PM
The middle two labeled "30" and "45" perplex me, as I can bend them like lead, but they almost seem more brittle than pure lead...I think

That statement is what caused me to call all of them painted lead alloy.

Yes, that is understandable. I read the same comment, but assumed the OP simply made a mistake in which ones he could bend. I've ran across some of those exact same weights in recent sorting, which is why it pinged my radar :)

Triggernosis
02-01-2013, 11:03 PM
Yes, that is understandable. I read the same comment, but assumed the OP simply made a mistake in which ones he could bend. I've ran across some of those exact same weights in recent sorting, which is why it pinged my radar :)
Yes, I think I did make a mistake as to which ones I could bend. So many of them look so similar.

wrench man
02-01-2013, 11:37 PM
The "30" and "45" are gram weights vs ounce weight, the "MC" is the type of wheel weight, it's the most common for aluminum wheels, I have all of those in stock at work.
This tells me where to put them on the wheels!:drinks:
http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx190/ramblerinternational/brakes024.jpg