PDA

View Full Version : Primer info

S&W-629
02-01-2013, 11:01 AM
so here it is i have 2 9mm and a 223 rem bolt and i have a 44mag and a 308 rem bolt can i use the same small pistal or small rifle primers in both the 9mm and 223 and large pistal or large rifle in the 44 and 308 and still have a good reload?
with the &&& that thay are getting for primers now i dont have the money to buy 4 diferent kinds of primers.
Thanks for any info

nhrifle
02-01-2013, 11:59 AM
Small pistol and small rifle can be interchanged. I tried small pistol in my AR once upon a time and wound up getting pierced primers, so my advice would be to use small rifle primers. They work fine in my 9mm. I am not sure about the LP/LR primers, I would assume the same situation would apply. Hopefully a wiser member will chime in on those. Hope this helps.

ipijohn
02-01-2013, 12:01 PM
The reason there is 4 different kinds of primers is that they are used for 4 different types/powders/pressures of loads.

44man
02-01-2013, 12:16 PM
NO SR in the nines. Use a SR standard in the .223. The .308 takes a standard LR primer.
NO LR IN THE .44, they can slam fire on the recoil plate out of battery and blow the gun.
Bite the bullet, you need different primers.
I know primers and will NOT EVER say you can use such and such primer just because it fits.
Your safety comes first because nothing else is so important to me.

rsrocket1
02-01-2013, 01:01 PM
For mid range handgun loads, small rifle primers work fine so long as your hammer/striker spring is not over worn or weak. As usual, the common precaution is to start low and work up, but you'll see that there is very little difference in muzzle velocity or performance when using SRP's in handgun loads. I do this with 38/357, 40 S&W and now 9mm. I also use SPM primers in the same applications, with no measurable difference. YMMV. I do not use SRM primers and haven't bought them as a substitue.

I have not done this, but I was just discussing on another board where someone used LPP's in light loaded 30-06 instead of LRP's. That's where 10 grains of pistol powder is used (typically Red Dot, Unique or Bullseye). This makes sense as the peak pressure is in the 20 kpsi range and the typical handgun case is rated to 35 kpsi. Before he shot them, the only question was whether the firing pin would be long enough to set off the primer since LPP's are shorter than LRP's. The loads shot fine in his gun. Don't try this in a full load rifle since the typical pressures in a rifle is in the 55 kpsi range and you would likely get a pierced primer with eventual firing pin erosion or bolt face erosion.

mdi
02-01-2013, 01:09 PM
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&rlz=1C2WPDB_enUS502US513&sclient=psy-ab&q=rifle+vs+pistol+primers+substitution&oq=rifle+vs+pistol+primers+substitution&gs_l=hp.2...80.644.4.1250.4.4.0.0.0.4.293.1357.2-5.5.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.2.hp.dur4APjHwEI&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41867550,d.Yms&fp=68df32dc935aa242&biw=1366&bih=655 google is your friend.

Since the election this topic has been running around the web like crazy...

1Shirt
02-01-2013, 01:22 PM
Use what they are made for and you will probably not have any problem. The only exception to that in my experiance in with hornet and cast, and for those I get better accuracy etc. with SP's.
1Shirt1

williamwaco
02-01-2013, 01:40 PM
NO SR in the nines. Use a SR standard in the .223. The .308 takes a standard LR primer.
NO LR IN THE .44, they can slam fire on the recoil plate out of battery and blow the gun.
Bite the bullet, you need different primers.
I know primers and will NOT EVER say you can use such and such primer just because it fits.
Your safety comes first because nothing else is so important to me.

DITTO!

Compared to fingers, primers are CHEAP!

44man
02-01-2013, 01:56 PM
A pierced primer is from a strong firing pin spring--AKA a military rifle. It just punches through the thinner cup, and it is not from pressure in the case. If the primer is not pierced with a light load it will not be pierced with a heavy load unless there was a break through. Not wise to fool around in any case.
What ever, I found a SR primer has more pressure then a SP and can move out a boolit before good ignition. We can debate forever about it but I will not sub a SR primer for a SP and that does not even touch on the stronger hammer springs needed.
The compound might be the same in a SR and SR mag with the difference in cup thickness only. (Is it true?) Either way, they are different then a SP primer. Now ask what is different between a SP and SP mag? Can it be just cup thickness? Both will hold the same pressures. I don't buy it, there is more pressure from the mag. There is more pressure from a LP mag then from a LP standard. I prove it at the target all day long. If the compound was the same and the same amount, why does a LP mag shoot better in the large bore revolver then the standard? I can prove it. Why does a LP mag shoot worse in the .44 then a standard? You will never tell me "CUP THICKNESS" because I use over power springs.
The compound and amount is different with ALL primers as is the pressure and the WW primer is just in between a standard and full mag.
If I give you a load and bullet but you change the primer, then come here to shoot, I will tell you what primer you used.
Some think I am nuts but I have never been proven wrong.

S&W-629
02-01-2013, 06:16 PM
thanks every one for the info.I stoped at the gun shop and thay have alot of primers thay are not short on then at all so i got 1000 SPP for $34.00 and i got 200 SRP for $4.00 per 100 so i got 2 i dint think that was bad at all.he told me that all the primers are $4.00 per 100 or $34.00 per 1000

wrangler5
02-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Wow - primers in stock. Too bad it's so far from MO, primers are nonexistent here (at least they were yesterday.)

S&W-629
02-01-2013, 09:22 PM
thay told me that thay have 2 orders coming in next week with more ammo and primers

mpmarty
02-01-2013, 09:49 PM
I frequently use LP primers in cast rifle loads because I have so darn many of them on hand. I've still got LR primers for my 7.62 NATO reloads but the LP work just fine in 45/70 and 7.5X55 Swiss with cast.

luciddream
02-04-2013, 12:24 PM
I had a similar question.. I have some primers in a primer tray, and I don't remember if they are small pistol or small rifle, is there any way to determine the difference? I'd hate to throw out 50 or so primers when primers seem to be as valuable as gold lately.

Jim
02-04-2013, 12:34 PM
..... I have some primers in a primer tray, and I don't remember if they are small pistol or small rifle, .....

I did that one time. Now, I put everything away when I'm done, including putting the leftover primers in a pill bottle with a label. There are those that say they can tell if they're pistol or rifle, standard or magnum. Those guys are a lot more knowledgeable than me. All I can differentiate is plated Vs. non and small vs. large.

44man
02-04-2013, 05:06 PM
Several makes have a different color for the compound but most do not. You just can't tell. Fed's are all green.
Plated or not plated means nothing. Cup color means nothing.
Put unused primers back in the box they came from

EDK
02-05-2013, 01:32 AM
thanks every one for the info.I stoped at the gun shop and thay have alot of primers thay are not short on then at all so i got 1000 SPP for $34.00 and i got 200 SRP for $4.00 per 100 so i got 2 i dint think that was bad at all.he told me that all the primers are $4.00 per 100 or $34.00 per 1000

You should have bought as many as you could afford. Things might get worse before they get better.