PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Casters Must Have Book!

rbertalotto
02-01-2013, 06:50 AM
I recently joined the "Cast Bullet Association" as I've discovered the great hobby of casting my own bullets for long range "Buffalo Shoots" and Cowboy Action Shooting.

The CBA offers a fantastic book, 496 pages, mostly prepared by members, on absolutely everything you'd ever want to know and more about bullet casting.

http://images56.fotki.com/v371/photos/2/36012/11625901/castbulletbook-vi.jpg

Other than being a member, I have no affiliation with the organization. I just thought I'd pass on a fantastic resource.

$29.95 (Inc Shipping to US)

Send Check To:
CBA
Eunice Birmley
Director of Services
47 Pinon
Cimarron, NM 87714

Nobade
02-01-2013, 08:48 AM
You can also join the email list CB-BOOK on Yahoo groups and get it there.

waksupi
02-01-2013, 12:49 PM
Joe Brennan plagiarized pretty much every thing in that book from this site, and CBA. He was banned from this site. But the information is thereby good!

02-01-2013, 01:18 PM
He was banned from this site.

Thanks for the info. Now, I can remove him from my Ignore List.

runfiverun
02-01-2013, 02:27 PM
he's,,,,,, ummmm. still trying to update the book.

geargnasher
02-01-2013, 07:50 PM
Can he be banned from VIEWING this site? Of course that might slow down the release of the new version.....

Roy, is JB giving you a kickback or something, you've been splattering that post all over the internet today.

Gear

btroj
02-01-2013, 09:38 PM
I have the book, got it as a gift. Really don't think anything in it is earth shattering. It does make for interesting reading on the throne. That is about the limit of it's usefulness to me.

I find the LASC site and Veral's book to be more useful.

dromia
02-02-2013, 03:30 AM
More of a compilation of contributions across the web rather than a book. Much of the info came from members here with or without their sanction and the way the whole sorry saga was carried out left a bad taste in what to all intents and purposes was a worthwhile endeavour.

There are many ways of skinning a cat and although the compilation covers a lot of headings the number of approaches described are a bit lean.

Interestingly even just a few years on it now seems very dated, attempts have been made to update it but strangely after the first attempt good contributions seem to be slow in coming forward.

The cutting edge of cast boolit theory and practice is discussed and developed by members here on these forums and any book or compilation would be hard placed to keep up to date.

Strangely the OP and the advert therein make no reference to the fact that the "book" is free to download from the LASC site and CB-Book on Yahoo groups.

Worth a peruse to cast boolit aficionados to see how some people tackle cast boolit practice but not something you'd want to pay for when its a free download and you can ring bind it your self.

rbertalotto
02-02-2013, 07:00 PM
I wish I was getting a kick back........don't know the man but it appears here and on other sites he's ruffled a few feathers.

All I'm doing is suggesting a very good resource for folks like me that recently (last year) got into bullet casting........nothing more-nothing less.

And now I find that this entire book is on the internet for free..........but I like books. I find it very hard to read anything on a computer or even my kindle. And technical books are even more difficult because I like to write in the margins......:-D

HiVelocity
02-02-2013, 07:20 PM
on absolutely everything you'd ever want to know and more about bullet casting.

I thought we joined "this" website to find out absolutely everything you'd ever want to know and more about bullet casting!

Forgive me, but, I find our members extremely knowledgeable and am on this site 2-3 hours every night.

Thanks to you all!

HV :drinks:

uscra112
02-03-2013, 02:21 AM
I thought we joined "this" website to find out absolutely everything you'd ever want to know and more about bullet casting!

Forgive me, but, I find our members extremely knowledgeable and am on this site 2-3 hours every night.

Thanks to you all!

HV :drinks:

+1 to that.

6bg6ga
02-03-2013, 02:28 AM
Not a lot to learn in my opinion.

HARRYMPOPE
02-03-2013, 02:33 AM
Joe's book is nothing better or worse than a forum in written form..I dont agree with it all but some of it is pretty good.He did get quite a bit of info from active competitive cast match shooters.The most knowledgeable and best shooting cast bullets guys in know dont post on forums very often.That info can only be learned if you are lucky enough to shoot a match against one of those guys.Sadly many i did have the pleasure to associate with have left this world.What those guys were doing 20-30 years back is just now "cutting edge".Joe tried to make a readable book and i think he did and pulled from any sources.

1Shirt
02-03-2013, 01:42 PM
All books on casting and reloading are worthwhile. Some more than others!
1Shirt!

Maven
02-05-2013, 05:30 PM
"...[I] don't know the man but it appears here and on other sites he's ruffled a few feathers."

That's got to be the understatement of the year, Roy!

A few additional comments. Joe was nothing if not thorough and unrelenting in his pursuit of CB knowledge. Moreover, I'm not sure gleaning information from public forums such as this one, the CBA's, or others is exactly plagiarism, as who really knows where a [n original] poster got his information. Additionally, who can say what is "common knowledge" and what is proprietary knowledge. Lastly, I helped Joe edit his book, which does in fact name all those whose work and expertise he drew on. Check it out on the L.A.S.C. site and see for yourselves.

45 2.1
02-05-2013, 05:39 PM
The most knowledgeable and best shooting cast bullets guys in know dont post on forums very often.

You don't learn a whole lot at a match unless the shooter tells you what is going on. Most of those people do not want to be involved with the one eyed monster either and seldom post on the internet.

felix
02-05-2013, 06:06 PM
His only fault was his attitude. His energy exhibited during his pursuits has to be rewarded, however. So, it's a catch-22 situation, at any angle. ... felix

02-05-2013, 06:30 PM
His only fault was his attitude.

That is the reason he was on my Ignore List. Not saying that he may or may not be knowldegable.

I did find his M-die plug list to be very comprehensive, and it's the only one that I've ever seen.

lmcollins
02-05-2013, 11:04 PM
As a CBA member, and and old internet guy, I think you have all got a twisted idea of the book.

IT was started on the internet as a "Public Domain" project put together and edited by interested volunteers for the benifit and enjoyment of anyone interested. I don't think Joe ever claimed to be the "author" of everything in the book. He did his work as a "COMPILER." It was to be a collection of the best CONVENTIONAL wisdom of THOSE willing to give it. Noone said it was to be filled with EARTH SHATTERING DISCOVERIES. He could not get the job done by making EVERYONE happy. The book being sold through/by the CBA is an effort to pay for the cost of printing, binding, transportation, etc. Some people wanted a book that they could hold in their hands, and keep, so some got printed.

I don't think that there was ever an effort to say that it was earth shaking book. It was an effort to compile the best thought of ANYONE who was interested agreed should be included in the book. The book was intended to be a "voluntary" work in progress - like Wikepedia. I tell people not to take Wikepedia as the "gosphel." People put down what they think is correct, others who think it wrong correct it, etc. If you go to a standard traditional reference book or books, like the "World Book Encylopedia" you will find that the information is written by contracted acknowledged EXPERTS (i.e. MD's, PH D's. in their fields.) It is also EDITED.This means fact checked, and the syntax corrected or questioned, by knowing people.

Yes. Joe could be opinionated and brusque(sp?) I have exchanged emails, and sent him something I'd been playing with I made on my lathe. He got back to me with a picture of why it wouldn't work. He was right. I emailed him and said he was correct. It was still a good try on my part. I feel we parted friends. He saved me time.

It is a sad comment on todays society that people think that they should have their hands held, their backsides kissed, and always treated as great thinkers, fed by spoon, and their OPINIONS treasured. They have never worked under the adversity and stress of business/manufacturing pressures, or the military where lives can be at stake. They show a nieve lack of intellectual rigor: ignorance and a closed mind. I admit to being ignorant of many things, and always try to listen to anyone time permitted. Some people are just intellectually unsophisticated.

Joe may be many things, but he was a visionary with and idea, with the drive, initative, and proper intellect to carry it through. These are the people who move society forward. Often they have rough edges, and flaws that enable them to achieve. Could you do as much, or as well as Joe?

waksupi
02-06-2013, 01:24 AM
You should have seen his communications to staff here. You might have a different opinion.

runfiverun
02-06-2013, 01:57 AM
yes.
i could care less about his book
i might even could learn something from it
it is definatly his attitude and methods i don't care for.

Big_Blue
02-06-2013, 02:19 AM
More of a compilation of contributions across the web rather than a book. Much of the info came from members here with or without their sanction and the way the whole sorry saga was carried out left a bad taste in what to all intents and purposes was a worthwhile endeavour.

There are many ways of skinning a cat and although the compilation covers a lot of headings the number of approaches described are a bit lean.

Interestingly even just a few years on it now seems very dated, attempts have been made to update it but strangely after the first attempt good contributions seem to be slow in coming forward.

The cutting edge of cast boolit theory and practice is discussed and developed by members here on these forums and any book or compilation would be hard placed to keep up to date.

Strangely the OP and the advert therein make no reference to the fact that the "book" is free to download from the LASC site and CB-Book on Yahoo groups.

Worth a peruse to cast boolit aficionados to see how some people tackle cast boolit practice but not something you'd want to pay for when its a free download and you can ring bind it your self.

Is this the Fryexell/Applegate book (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf)?

dromia
02-06-2013, 02:39 AM
Good heavens no, the Fryxell book isn't bad at all, written as a book, it is just pistol focussed.

Look for Brennan on the site.

John Boy
02-06-2013, 10:40 AM
Gentlemen, let's remember this about Joe and the proceeds from purchasing the paper book instead of knowing where to go to download it for free:

$1000 has gone to Rudi Prusok and the ASSRA archives, a wonderful resource for gun info.
Starting 2/1/2011 excess money goes to the Cast Bullet Association.
And for those new casters that may 'stumble' on this thread instead of searching to answer the repetitive questions (which many of us see frequently here and CBA), Cast Bullets for Beginner and Expert can be downloaded for free at ...
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/CB-BOOK/files/

And should any new caster want to purchase another casting book as a reference to expand their knowledge of the subject, plus obtain TESTED loading data ... again which I see all to frequently on forums - "What is the Best xyz", may I suggest purchasing this reference book ...
Lyman "Cast Bullet Handbook: 4th Edition" Book (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/867465/lyman-cast-bullet-handbook-4th-edition-book)

Going further, here are 2 other free excellent reference sources that beginning casters can read and obtain information instead of making repetitive posts:
* CASTPICS, The Source for Cast Bullet Information (http://www.castpics.net/default.html)
* Cast Bullet Notes (http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm)

What I am saying to new casters, including the other Roy's is 'Build a Library of Reading References'. Roy, as a new caster, just happened to start with Joe Brennan's book

Then read the references and every new caster will expand their knowledge base and have answers to the many aspects of the art & science of casting lead bullets.

BTW Gentlemen, I have each of the above either bookmarked or purchased in my library for reference. And I don't know how many times I have referenced each but with the many thousands of posts I've made, I ask few questions because I have read up on the multitude of subjects in the reference sources ... including topics in Joe's 3rd Edition

1Shirt
02-08-2013, 09:00 AM
Opinions, opinions, opinions! Guess thats what make this forum interesting!
1shirt!

largom
02-08-2013, 09:16 AM
I have many books but this site is the "BEST BOOK" I have ever obtained.

Larry

Harry O
02-08-2013, 09:19 AM
Yes. Joe could be opinionated and brusque(sp?)

It is a sad comment on todays society that people think that they should have their hands held, their backsides kissed, and always treated as great thinkers, fed by spoon, and their OPINIONS treasured. Some people are just intellectually unsophisticated.

I guess I am "just intellectually unsophisticated." Joe bothered me several times asking me to do this or that so he could include it in his book. I told him to no. When Joe PM'ed me to say, and this is a quote, "GET F*CKED" I put him on my "ignore list". I guess that could be called pretty "opinionated and brusque(sp?)".

btroj
02-08-2013, 09:29 AM
Nothing better than a personal attack because you wouldn't do his dirty work.
I think that saying he left a bad taste in people mouth is an understatement.

John Boy
02-08-2013, 09:48 AM
When Joe PM'ed me to say, and this is a quote, "GET F*CKED" I put him on my "ignore list". Gee Harry, there has to be more to the conversation. What did you PM to him that set Joe off? To me, sounds like only half the story has been told [smilie=1:

Joe has contacted me several times to expand the sample counts for tests I've done with black powder, powder chargers and primer hardness. He was most civil in all communications including when I replied that I didn't want to expand the counts because it was too time consuming

Harry O
02-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Gee Harry, there has to be more to the conversation. What did you PM to him that set Joe off? To me, sounds like only half the story has been told

Joe also PM'ed me several times after I posted some of the stuff I experimented with, wanting me to do more work for his book. What he wanted was a whole lot of extra work and was not what I was interested in. I turned him down each time. The last time I reminded him that he had contacted me several times before with different requests (I honestly don't think he remembered) and since he would not stop bothering me, I was going to put him on the "ignore list" to block him from contacting me again.

He must have been on this website because I immediately got back the e-mail I quoted before I had time to block him.

runfiverun
02-08-2013, 02:46 PM
half the story?
sounds more like typical treatment to me...
joe is on my ignore list too [in fact he IS my ignore list] and i ain't taking him off.