PDA

View Full Version : Model 81 remington

starmac
02-01-2013, 03:55 AM
A local pawnshop has a m81 in 300 savage. It is nothing special and shows to have been carried a lot over the years. What is one worth?

I don't need it, and didn't give it a close look, but after I left for some reason it has my interest. Maybe I could get it and have an assault rifle.

texassako
02-01-2013, 08:58 AM
Price kind of varies but $450-500 online for in honest wear condition, and 300 Savage is the highest power in the guns. Peep sights for the tang are high dollar if you want one or if it already has one. Interesting John M Browning designed rifles and everyone needs to own one once in their lifetimes.

nekshot
02-01-2013, 10:41 AM
About 2 years ago I gave 299.00 for a nice 81 in 35 remington. If I would see one in 300 in any condition with the price subjectively fair to condition, I would commit the sin and repent later. Not every day you get to shoot a pogo stick.

nekshot
02-01-2013, 10:59 AM
One more bit from me about these old semi's, mine is a hoot to shoot with lite loads of trail boss. You pull the trigger, gun goes bang and the gun comes alive as the action sloooowly comes back. My son and I love shooting just to feel the motion. Also I use stripper clips for mausers to load the 81 and they load with perfection. Depending what the gov't comes up with about semi's you might be glad to have one that can be grandfathered in.

26Charlie
02-02-2013, 01:43 PM
These are interesting rifles, and far cheaper than they should be considering the amount of parts and machining they contain. I paid $300 for a .300 which had been bubba'd; stock shortened radically, an unknown sight base screwed to the side with six screws. I was never able to find a replacement buttstock, so I screwed a walnut spacer on and covered the butt with a slip-on pad. I left the mount alone rather than expose six holes. I paid $500 for a .35 Remington in pristine condition, and prices in between for another .300 with a peep sight, a .32 Remington rimless, (make out of .30 Remington brass), and a M8 .30 Remington. These rifles all shoot cast bullet loads of 1600 fs or more to the sights at 100 yards.