PDA

View Full Version : question about dowloading pistol ammo

1fast8
02-01-2013, 03:18 AM
pretty new to loading and only load a few pistol calibers on my 45acp i download and use fast powders to reduce recoil was told by a freind you can have a KABOOM just as easy with underloaded ammo as over loading.what is too low for 45 acp

gon2shoot
02-01-2013, 05:45 AM
Most loading manuals have a "start" load, or recomend 10% under max. Also most powder companies have load data on line.

frkelly74
02-01-2013, 07:08 AM
Not too much danger with normal faster easier to light powders used in light pistol loads. The slower, harder to light powders are more notorious for detonating when used improperly in light loads. For instance the warning on my can of wc820 says not for light loads and H110 is about the same burn rate. Use the proper powder for the purpose intended and you should be Okay. You should do some studying on burn rates and characteristics before making a decision on what powder to use. An informed decision is more likely to not get you into trouble. The best place to start is with a Lyman manual, read it and many things will start to become clear.

P.K.
02-01-2013, 07:34 AM
^^^^^^^^^^

What he said. Another place to go is the various Powder Mfg. websites many have downloadble info that is very useful as well. But I'm like FrKelly, I prefer a good manual (regardless of name) in hand.

Some to consider:
Lee Modern Reloading 2nd Edition
Lyman Reloading Handbook 49th Edition
Cast Bullet Handbook (Lyman) 4th Edition (Can be some deals on Amazon buying both the LRH and CBHB at the same time.)
Hornady Handbook of Cartrige Reloading 8th Edition ( There is a 9th out now so the prices may drop on this one.)

garym1a2
02-01-2013, 09:10 AM
3.8 to 4.0 gr of Bullesye and you have no problem. Just make sure not to double charge.
Bullseye is good for low charges. I hear that Clay's is not.
My goto powder for low charges is Bullseye as even 3 grs works in the oversize case of the 38 special.

Just watch for double charges or triple charges.

C.F.Plinker
02-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Look up loads used by bullseye pistol shooters. One that is oftem mentioned is 2.7 grains of Bullseye behind either a 146 grain wadcutter or a cast 158 grain semiwadcutter for 38 Special. The corresponding load for 45ACP is around 3.5 grains of Bullsye behind either a 185 or 200 grain cast semiwadcutter. The latter will often require the use of a lighter recoil spring.

Loads this light don't even come close to filling the case halfway. This means that it is VERY easy to double charge or triple charge a case. This double or triple charging will easily exceed the proof load and will frequently cause a KaBoom with the resultant damage to the firearm, and possibly to yourself or others that are nearby. Whether you use a single stage press or a progressive loader you need to have a good way to inspect EVERY case as you charge it to make sure that it was A.) charged and B.) charged only once. If it was not charged (squib load) you can lodge the boolit in the barrel of the 45. If you catch it because of the pop rather than the bang you can stop right there and use a cleaning rod to remove it from the barrel. If you don't catch it, and manually cycle the action to chamber the next round, you will be firing into an obstructed barrel. This will damage the barrel beyond use and can also damage the slide and frame. If you double charge it's KaBoom time.

Reloading is a safe and enjoyable hobby that allows us to shoot accurate ammunition at a fraction of the cost of factory loads. Just like walking down the street, it is not without risk. Learn where these risks are, avoid them, and enjoy your new hobby. And keep asking questions. It is better to learn from the experiences of others than to make the mistakes yourself.

km101
02-01-2013, 11:30 AM
Never go below the "Start" loads in the loading manual or online data and you should be fine. This is true for .45 acp, or any other caliber. These are usually very conservative limits and are comfortable loads to shoot. The people who put these books together have tested the published loads to ensure they are safe. Jost dont go below them.

Larry Gibson
02-01-2013, 12:24 PM
was told by a freind you can have a KABOOM just as easy with underloaded ammo as over loading.

Classic case if people "over thinking" a rare problem as in this "case" (the pun is intended). The only thing that will happen with underloaded 45 ACPs using the powders normally loaded in them is that at some point of underload the pistol will fail to function......no "kaboom"........

Larry Gibson

44man
02-01-2013, 12:43 PM
was told by a freind you can have a KABOOM just as easy with underloaded ammo as over loading.

Classic case if people "over thinking" a rare problem as in this "case" (the pun is intended). The only thing that will happen with underloaded 45 ACPs using the powders normally loaded in them is that at some point of underload the pistol will fail to function......no "kaboom"........

Larry Gibson
True. Nothing more needs said.

montana_charlie
02-01-2013, 02:45 PM
hmmm ... double post ... ?

Moonie
02-01-2013, 02:46 PM
It is more likely that kabooms caused by small charges are due to double/triple loads. It is hard to double charge when a double charge would overflow the case.

montana_charlie
02-01-2013, 02:47 PM
Dowloading pistol ammo?

I knew that ammo is available on the internet, but I thought it had to be shipped to you ...

(... wink! ... )

MtGun44
02-01-2013, 10:31 PM
The issue is doublecharges, nothing magic there. Don't do it and you will be fine.

Bill

PULSARNC
02-01-2013, 10:57 PM
DOUBLE charges are NOT your friend ask me how I know!

1fast8
02-02-2013, 01:05 AM
i am using pretty fast burning pistol powders like titegroup and vit n310 so it sounds like i should be ok.

thanks for all the input. I figured I could get a lot of usefull info here as it sounds like many of you have forgotten more than i will ever know bout loading

220swiftfn
02-02-2013, 03:12 AM
If you're looking for low recoil reloading, one of the Hodgdon "Annual Manuals" had a write-up about Trailboss and cast that was interesting......

Dan

P.K.
02-02-2013, 08:10 AM
If you're looking for low recoil reloading, one of the Hodgdon "Annual Manuals" had a write-up about Trailboss and cast that was interesting......

Dan

:goodpost:

I had a reduced load worked up in .40S&W using A No.2 and cast, good shooting round for puching paper. If your looking to make the most out of a pound of powder, reduced loads are the way to go. BUT as many have stated, go with the published data first. I forget where mine came from, but the post prior to mine is an excellent place to start.

You can get it cheaper at your local book store but here is what it looks like:
http://www.hodgdon.com/store/product.php?productid=16149&cat=0&page=1&featured

41 mag fan
02-02-2013, 10:55 AM

Larry Gibson

And / or get a boolit stuck in the barrel.
I myself wouldn't know how this happens!!

220swiftfn
02-03-2013, 03:07 AM
All I can say for sure is that the write-up WASN'T in 2010's........ But it DID have the data in the reloading section..... 650 fps with a 200gr LSWC......... Don't know if I'd go THAT low, but the data is there.....

Dan

DCP
02-03-2013, 09:43 AM
I have heard that a brass rod can be a great help.
Just dont leave it at home.

And / or get a boolit stuck in the barrel.

Taylor
02-03-2013, 09:53 AM
Try ABC's of reloading.Read,read all the books you can afford.Understand as was stated,the burn rates and determine what powder is suitable for your particular application.Good luck.

armexman
02-03-2013, 11:45 AM
1fast8, before you do what all those above have stated (except, buying a manual[handheld printed pages]) read a couple of purchased manuals. They will never need power or a screen to read and you can reference them for the the next 20-40 years. They will help you out a whole lot better than some friends advice on reloading. If you just started reloading due to age or the ammo shortage; start out right by reading some manuals. As you finish a couple of chapters, come back and ask questions that you may have about some of the new concepts that you will be exposed to in your reading. Another thing, as you mature in your reloading endeavor you may want to give a general idea of where you live and you will have local mentors coming out of the woodwork;)

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-03-2013, 11:54 AM
pretty new to loading and only load a few pistol calibers on my 45acp i download and use fast powders to reduce recoil was told by a freind you can have a KABOOM just as easy with underloaded ammo as over loading.what is too low for 45 acp

without more details, I can only assume.

If you are wanting to reduce recoil of 45 ammo with jacketed 230gr bullets loaded to near max.
All you have to do is get yourself some 185gr cast boolits and load them with the starting load listed in a reloading manual. SHAZAM, recoil reduced greatly and you're not downloading a charge.
Jon