PDA

View Full Version : Planning to move, need some advice

Angus
02-01-2013, 12:28 AM
I live in The People's Republik of New York, and am seriously planning on packing up the wife and kid and heading south next fall. The necessities of the new spread are: somewhere on the east side of the Appalachians, somewhere south of the Mason-Dixon, and there must be an unhealthy population of feral swine.

We need to stay in the eastern states for proximity to family between Florida and NY. We both want to live in the hills. We both work in healthcare, so a few good size hospitals inside of an hour drive is a must.

As for pigs, they are an absolute requirement. I've never hunted them, but have always wanted to. It seems like a blast to have a big game species you can hunt year round.

So let's have it boys, where is the best place on the east side of the country to live?

TCLouis
02-01-2013, 12:45 AM
Sounds like North Carolina or SC or Eastern GA is in your future.

ALL beat the place you are coming from

Angus
02-01-2013, 12:46 AM
North Korea is pretty close to beating where I'm coming from.

Bad Water Bill
02-01-2013, 01:12 AM
Yeah and Mayor Bloomers has more money than the whole of N K.

Head down south and never look back.

Blacksmith
02-01-2013, 01:50 AM
Mason Dixon divides Pennsylvania and Maryland.
Maryland is anti gun and no pigs to speak of.
Next is Virginia better on guns but I don't know about pigs.
Then comes North Carolina so it seems the further south you go the better it gets.

Angus
02-01-2013, 02:40 AM
I just eyeballed a map of feral hog distribution, and it looks like I'm SOL on hogs. So with them out of the equation, is there anything especially better about VA, NC, or SC? The in-laws have a piece in north Georgia and I'd prefer to keep some distance between us.

starmac
02-01-2013, 03:00 AM
Florida has plenty of hogs

P.K.
02-01-2013, 08:17 AM
Western NC and VA are nice country, my brother is outside a large post in NC and has been hog hunting a few times. ;-)

x101airborne
02-01-2013, 08:34 AM
North Korea is pretty close to beating where I'm coming from.

MMDang.... LOL! Thats funny!

x101airborne
02-01-2013, 08:36 AM
Too bad you cant move to Texas. All prerequisits met except for proximity to the East Coast.
The wife works in health care and could get yall in poco quick.

Wayne Smith
02-01-2013, 08:53 AM
North Carolina - anywhere within reach of the Raleigh/Durhum area will be easy for jobs and within reach for pigs. No pigs to speak of in Virginia, and not a lot of jobs along the mountains outside of the Shennandoah Valley except maybe Lynchburg.

Remember that the swine are moving north. Pig hunting in Eastern NC is largely feral swine that survived the recent hurricanes and have prospered in the wild. Pig hunting in Western NC is largely mixed feral and Russian genes and largely preserve type hunting.

Depending on what type of health care you do investigate various federal programs that are designed to get us into the Rural areas. There have been historically various financial incentives offered, I have no idea what is currently available. Lots of rural where you are talking of settling.

garym1a2
02-01-2013, 09:04 AM
Easy to get a CCW also, no gun ban problems and also no state income tax! Plus home prices are still very low and lots of nice gun ranges.
If you get a place in the country you cn even shoot in the backyad.
Pigs are a prblem in central Florida so lots of hog hunting, its not as good as South Texas, but plenty of hogs.

Florida has plenty of hogs

Sasquatch-1
02-01-2013, 10:01 AM
W. V. is a very firearms friendly state. Very easy to get a CCW and I beleive it is an open carry state though you don't often see it. I don't know about the animal type hog population. Plenty of deer and other medium size game.

As someone else said, STAY AWAY FROM MARYLAND!!!! I lived there for many years and still have a lot of family that lives there. They may not be as anti-gun as Ill., D. C., and Cal. but they are Very Very Close. It is also a very democrat state.

MBTcustom
02-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Sorry buddy, you will have to move west. Come on down to Arkansas, Texas, Mississippi, Alabama. We don't take no BS, we need healthcare professionals, and we have a little hog problem. Also, if TSHTF you will want to be in the deep south.
I am convinced that the beer here is 1.7 degrees colder than anywhere else in the country.:drinks:
You could sell your place in NY and afford to buy a pretty decent spread out here.
Most importantly though: A once a year plane ticket is a small price to pay for southern pecan pie, and the smile that comes with it.

Of course, it may take a while to work that NY attitude out of your system LOL! My neighbor's wife is from NY, and at first, I thought she was just plain rude. Now I am thinking it was just a defense mechanism of some sort. It's been 6 years, and she has finally settled down. Now she'll wave at you when you drive past, and she's getting that kind southern way about her. I've never been to NY, but the folks I have seen from there convince me that it's no place I want to be.
I can't believe some folks where t-shirts that say "I love NYC"?!?! What could possibly be so great that it makes living with a bunch of folks you can't trust seem "lovely"?

km101
02-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Too bad you cant move to Texas. All prerequisits met except for proximity to the East Coast.

And thats another reason to like Texas! But if you just gotta' get to the east coast, there are plenty of airports and good highways!

And dont worry about an area not having hogs. It is a fact that hogs and coyotes are increasing their range every year. They will both soon cover the entire US, except for the most extreme climate areas (well maybe not Chicago, even hogs cant stand Mayor Emmanuel) A game biologist told me a few years back that there ate two types of areas in the US, those that have hogs and those that are going to! :)

John Guedry
02-01-2013, 11:37 AM
Just don't come south with "that's not how we do it in N.Y." attitude. Other than that come on down.

sundog
02-01-2013, 11:55 AM
Add Oklahoma to your list of maybes. We actually have sheriffs here who support the populace. If someone is breaking in, shoot the perp, and then give us a call.

beagle
02-01-2013, 12:26 PM
Add Kentucky too. Firearms friendly. Cost of living isn't bad and you have loads of med facilities around Lexington and Louisville. And, feral hogs are moving in too. Big deer population, elk, turkeys and abundant small game.........and good moonshine and people./beagle

reg293
02-01-2013, 12:47 PM
I would suggest Asheville NC.

Wayne Smith
02-01-2013, 01:07 PM
Ashville is a mountain town/city. You mentioned you wanted to be in the foothills. Raleigh/Durham is in the foothills (Piedmont).

Moonie
02-01-2013, 02:35 PM
I also vote for NC, but I am biased. Also as of January we have pro gun republican state house, senate and governor, I believe it is the first time in history. I've heard that a bill regarding constitutional carry has been introduced as of last month.

Hamish
02-01-2013, 02:42 PM
As a Commonwealth, the state of Virginia can be a real pain in the behind when it comes to all the * regulations and the attitudes in the urban areas.

starmac
02-01-2013, 10:20 PM
I would be looking at some other criteria while I was looking.
1 taxes
2 how financially solid is the state
3 cost of living
4 crime rate
5 red or blue
There is actually quite a bit to look at between the fifty states.

PULSARNC
02-01-2013, 10:56 PM
Come on down to North Carolina. WE got hogs and jobs.Seriously ,depends on what degree you have in healthcare We have world class teaching hospitals ,think bowman grey and UNC, miltary hospitals at Camp Legune,Fort Bragg ,Cherry Point NAS ,Seymour Johnson AFB and some I havent named.If you locate in My area GOLDSBORO you are 6 hours from the mountains and about 1.5 to 2 hours from the coast did I mention we got hogs?

rockrat
02-01-2013, 10:57 PM
When I moved decades ago, I looked at Virginia (colonial roots there) and a bit of V. Va (wish I had looked more, now that CO has turned Blue--you can thank the Denver/Boulder area for that). Eastern Kentucky might be OK also. Virginia, it was West of the Blue ridge mtns and South of Winchester. Maybe White Sulphur Springs would be good. Lot of places there you could put down roots.

Blacksmith
02-01-2013, 11:15 PM
Pulsarnc
Welcome aboard to Cast Boolits! My son was born in Goldsboro when I was stationed at Seymour Johnson AFB defiantly a nice area. By the way this past week 46 years ago Goldsboro area was hit with a bad snow and ice storm, power was out in some areas for the week, I know because my wife and new born son had to stay an extra day in the hospital because there was no heat at home.:hijack: