PDA

View Full Version : Grandpa wants to shoot glue/wax boolits in the shop.

rmatchell
02-01-2013, 12:09 AM
Ok so I know it has been done, I'm more or less wondering what is the best way to do it. I have been reading about using 209 primers which would be more doable because they are still available here. Also have seen where they drill out the flash hole and use mag primers. What are your thoughts guys, and what worked best for you?

ipijohn
02-01-2013, 12:21 AM
I have 18 pcs of 41 Mag brass that I opened up the flash hole on. I shoot LP mag primers and a candle wax plug that is about 1/2 inch long. They are loaded by depriming, setting in a pie plate of liquid wax primer end up, let wax cool and harden, remove from wax, prime and shoot.

Johnch
02-01-2013, 12:24 AM
I have never done it

But a guy at the range uses 38 and 45 ACP cases that use 209 primers

His cases , he bought ? ( when ??)
They have a O ring to help hold the primer in place
But it is still a tight slip fit

John

rmatchell
02-01-2013, 12:30 AM
I guess I'll drill out some 38 cases and try this tomorrow. I think ill try the 209 primers so that I don't have to get into my pistol primers, not sure when i'll see them again around here.

runfiverun
02-01-2013, 12:45 AM
5/16 glue sticks are 312 diameter.
they happen to fit in a fired 30 carbine case perfectly [just put the stick in and cut them off flush with the case, shorter works well also]
a standard pistol primer is accurate.
a small rifle magnum primer will penetrate the metal garage door and crack the headlight lense on a 2002 chevy malibu.

brysongw
02-01-2013, 01:12 AM
5/16 glue sticks are 312 diameter.
they happen to fit in a fired 30 carbine case perfectly [just put the stick in and cut them off flush with the case, shorter works well also]
a standard pistol primer is accurate.
a small rifle magnum primer will penetrate the metal garage door and crack the headlight lense on a 2002 chevy malibu.

I just cracked up at that one. Sounds as though there may have been a little experience here!

crawfobj
02-01-2013, 01:14 AM
Lmao!

runfiverun
02-01-2013, 02:11 AM
yeaaah.
well...this one time.
it's funny when it's your stuff and you do it.
it's not as funny when it's the wifes stuff [no matter who payed for it] and she happens to be standing there.

Kskybroom
02-01-2013, 02:29 AM
In the Classics + Stickies
Hot Glue Boolits

SlippShodd
02-01-2013, 02:59 AM
...glue sticks... a small rifle magnum primer will penetrate the metal garage door and crack the headlight lense on a 2002 chevy malibu.

The Speer plastic practice bullets coupled with a plain, vanilla small pistol primer will penetrate a hollow core door from whatever the distance is from the front of the garage to the rear. If you don't notice it the first time, a follow up shot will confirm it.
A parafin bullet in .44 caliber over a couple grains of black (for a bit of woof and poof) and a large pistol primer will shatter into a zillion itty, bitty pieces on the forehead of a german shepherd and send him ki-yiing back home where he belongs.
The only feasible way to reload .45 ACP aluminum CCI cases is to bore the flashhole out to 1/8", chamfer the case mouth inside and out, push into a 1/2" cake of parafin (easier in the summer or when warmed slightly), insert a mag SPP and leave one chambered in your close at hand 1911 while you're reloading in the garage. When the pesky deer mouse comes out of hiding to taunt you, one of these will crush him at a measured 72 inches from muzzle to ribcage.
When shooting targets or deer mice in the garage, be certain there is something more substantial as a backstop than sheetrock. Wax boolits will tear the snot out of sheetrock. 5/8" particle board is my preference... sometimes the boolits stick to it, sometimes they shatter and fall to the floor. Either way, they can be recovered and remelted. Wax boolits WON'T penetrate the metal garage door (as a rule), but they will ding the bejeebers out of it.
Always drill the flashhole out to 1/8" in any brass you designate for shooting wax. If you don't and you're shooting a revolver, you will say "$#!+." The primer will back out and lock up your cylinder. I have said "$#!+" a lot before being given this little pearl of wisdom. After you've drilled out some cases, they need to be marked in such a way that you will never confuse them with your regular brass and load them normally. If you do that, you risk overpressure and the word "$#!+" will be the mildest expletive in your vocabulary, providing you can still speak afterwards. That's why I use aluminum cases for the .45 ACP and the headstamps on the .45 Colt wax-only brass have been obliterated.
A bore brush or a tight patch on a jag is all you need to scrape any residual wax out of the bore... then the next time you're at the range, toss off the first live round and you're good to go. Or not. As long a the bore is clear, I've never noticed any first shot deficiencies after shooting wax in a gun.
I gots no experience with gloolits, but what I've read seems to run pretty similar to wax.
>snicker<
I said "Run."
>snicker<

mike

brysongw
02-01-2013, 05:38 AM
yeaaah.
well...this one time.
it's funny when it's your stuff and you do it.
it's not as funny when it's the wifes stuff [no matter who payed for it] and she happens to be standing there.

Yeah I suppose that one went over like a fart in church! Better the wife's car than somebody's leg.

oldarkie
02-01-2013, 08:37 AM
a frind an i tried wax boolits back in 73 ,what a hoot. we were young and real dumb,football helmets,safty goggles,winter coveralls,still stung pretty good but boy we thought it was fun.i think we may have invented paint ball. [ warning don`t try this at home]

rmatchell
02-01-2013, 11:30 AM
Oh, I dont think I would try that. He is a retired state troper that still loves to shoot so he is making a trap for the garage. Ill figure out what I need to do to convert over to a 209 primer safely and aet him up.

rockshooter
02-01-2013, 11:57 PM
and don't ever shoot wax bullets at a shovel hanging from a nail in your basement- those buggers hurt when they return to sender!
Loren

1Shirt
02-03-2013, 02:32 PM
Interesting! Played with all of the above years ago. Had fun, but moved on!
1ShirT1

geargnasher
02-03-2013, 02:52 PM
Pellet pistol. You can still get pellets and pellet traps. Or Airsoft, it's more fun than you might think, the pistols are good, and really safe indoors (no primer residue to be breathing while cooped up in a small space presumably sealed-up for the winter).

Gear

joec
02-03-2013, 03:30 PM
I shoot them occasionally in a 10x30 storage shed into a 1" pc of plywood target stand. I picked up a 100 rounds of already modified 45 Colt brass and a few thousand bullets here http://www.waxbullet.com/ The cases will last just about longer than the gun will since the only charge is the 209 primer as their is no powder. They are pretty accurate too out to about 30' and will penetrate soft tissue but not leather and such.

Tim357
02-03-2013, 03:35 PM
Bill Jordan has a piece in his tome "No Second Place Winner" re: wax projectiles in .38 cases powered by a primer.

uncle joe
06-15-2013, 07:13 AM
forgive me if i'm repeating, I didn't read all the posts, but my dad and I used to use 38 brass with a primer and push it down onto a warmed (in front of a space heater)
piece of paraffin. The was is about a half inch thick and makes a great boolit. pretty accurate up to about 20 ft. Just right for stray dogs roaming where they're not wanted. And just about as much noise as a good cap gun.

ku4hx
06-15-2013, 11:22 AM
Back when I was into this, I just used these: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/315781/speer-plastic-bullets-38-caliber-357-to-358-diameter-box-of-50

Cheap, works good; last long time.

mroliver77
06-15-2013, 08:38 PM
Nobody mentioned that done properly wax boolits are very accurate! I had a batch of boolit lube based on paraffin that sucked as boolit lube. It shot well as boolits! With a bit of lanolin or vasolene the wax is not as grainy and holds together better when cutting. I always cut with the case.
One other thing, use fired cases that have not been resized as the fit the cylinder closer and keep junk from migrating back.
And, Grandad will laugh like he hasnt in a long time!
J

bangerjim
06-15-2013, 08:59 PM
I shoot 9mm, 38SP, and 45LC all the time in the garage using HMG boolits cast in my regular molds. I put a 1/4" steel ball in the mold (Daisy slingshot ammo from WalMart) and use mag primers. For a real "kick" add about 1.6g powder! Still is no louder than slamming 2 big text books together.

And, no..............casting HMG in your boolit molds does NOT ruin the mold. Just wash it out with laq thinner after casting because you need to use PAM as a mold lube. And the mold must be cold. I use ice to cool it down.

Have been doing this for years with great success. Much more accurate than cookie-cut wax in a pan or cut-off glue sticks! Will NOT cycle in semi's so you need to do a little work after each round.

You can load them in your clips just like the real thing!

Watch out for the fumes. Primers and powder have nasty stuff to breathe in a confined space, so insure good ventilation.

And drill out the primer holes ONLY if used in a revolver because the primer will back out and jam the cylinder. Mark those so you will never use for the real thing! I use red Sharpies in the end.

bangerjim

PuppetZ
06-16-2013, 11:22 AM
Pellet pistol. You can still get pellets and pellet traps. Or Airsoft, it's more fun than you might think, the pistols are good, and really safe indoors (no primer residue to be breathing while cooped up in a small space presumably sealed-up for the winter).

Gear

+1 on that. I have a glock 17 airsoft repro I use to practice draws and reloads with small metal popper in my backyard. It takedown like a real one, the mags are the size of a real one and the slide even works when you shoot it and lock when the mag's empty.

Echo
06-16-2013, 01:39 PM

R5R, you lead an exciting, and charmed, life! You are still able to discuss the issue, forked end down, &cetera...

As someone said, 'Good decisions come from experience - experience often comes from bad decisions'.

And I remember when the Bexar County Sheriff (San Antonio) quelled a prison riot by shooting some of the prisoners with wax boolits. DANG! They found that wax boolits HURT when they hit! Didn't penetrate, but STUNG, and it HURT! DANG! They obediantly filed back into their cells...