PDA

View Full Version : Oversized round ball in breech loader

jonk
01-31-2013, 11:15 AM
I have a Sharps 1863 model carbine. I normally fire the standard sharps ringtail out of it, but someone recently gave me a box of .570" diameter roundballs, for which I nominally have no use. Or do I?

The bore on the gun measures .545" across the grooves.

Normally I would look at shooting a bullet (conical) sized to .547 or so, i.e. a tad oversized.

.570-.545 = .025. That is to say, the round balls gifted to me are that much oversized. Normally I would never think of shooting such an oversized bullet, but a round ball has a pretty small bearing surface, and these are dead soft.

I'm leaning towards just shelving them until I have a use for them, but just wanted to run this past you all for thoughts. I have been told that in fact sometimes a roundball makes a good 25-50 yard plinking load in these, even if not the 'normal' load.

Willbird
01-31-2013, 11:57 AM
If they will chamber I would not worry a bit, they will end up pretty close to the end dia of the case ?? Usually there is a "buffer" zone in a chamber that is longer than the "trim to" length of the brass, and some brass is really short too. So thumb pressed into the case they might chamber fine.

Mk42gunner
01-31-2013, 12:34 PM
Isn't the 1863 the percussion model? If so I would drop one of the RB into the breech and see just how close it goes to the origin of the rifling. If it chambers freely; I think it would be okay with enough lube.

Robert

jonk
01-31-2013, 02:22 PM
Indeed this is the percussion model. The ball drops into the gas sleeve chamber insert without issue, albeit barely, so actually comes to a stop against the rifling.

rogn
01-31-2013, 03:28 PM
Perfect, now you just need a lube or wad and a light load.

jonk
01-31-2013, 03:32 PM
Surprisingly the consensus so far is that this shouldn't create an undue problem. As this is a gun that fires a combustable paper cartridge, putting a grease cookie over the powder charge with a wax paper disc to separate shouldn't be an issue. So powder, cookie, bullet.

Wayne Smith
01-31-2013, 09:39 PM
Yup, you got it. Let us know how it works. Don't be surprised if you achieve better accuracy than you expect.

jonk
02-01-2013, 12:23 AM
Before I jump to it, I think I will tap the ball through with a rod and see just how much resistance there is. If that seems good to go, now all we need is some warm weather. WHY is the abnormally warm day always during the work week?

Mk42gunner
02-01-2013, 12:07 PM
WHY is the abnormally warm day always during the work week?

It isn't always; during summer, the unseasonally cool and comfortable days are during the workweek:kidding:.

Robert

Wayne Smith
02-01-2013, 01:17 PM
Remember, the ball is lead, the rifle is steel! Which will give first?

BAGTIC
02-02-2013, 01:57 AM
The barrel is straight. The bullet is curved. The contact area is very small.

JeffinNZ
02-02-2013, 04:57 AM
The barrel is straight. The bullet is curved. The contact area is very small.

Prior to ignition it is. :-D

This sounds like a great idea. I'm sure it will work for mild loads.

longbow
02-02-2013, 11:54 AM
I am thinking that the ball is just a bit too much oversize and while it should swage down it is a lot to swage down. I would guess that with light loads there will be no danger but it may shave lead and leave a ring since it is so much oversize.

I agree with you on driving one through the bore to check on effort required and that may also indicate if shaving will be an issue.

Another option is to make a simple sizer using a nut or scrap piece of steel and drill 35/64" hole (0.5469") which is about right on. 17/32" (0.5313") is a bit undersize but drill usually drill a few thou large ~ might be a more common drill bit though.

I used to size 0.445" round balls down to 0.434" for my .44 mag Marlin that way and it works quite well. Leaves you with a nice little driving band around the middle.

Round ball loads can be quite accurate and fun to shoot. Light low recoil loads for fun shooting or pests.

Longbow

kir_kenix
02-02-2013, 06:01 PM
I'd give it a try as well. Not seeing a problem with this set up as long as the ball is deadsoft. I'll bet it is way more accurate out to 50 yards than you are giving it credit for. It should be reletively easy to size these down, in the manner longbow described, if you want to go that route as well. I'm lazy though, and I'd let the hot gasses, pressure, and barrel do the sizing for me.

curator
02-02-2013, 10:41 PM
I have an IAB '63 .54 Sharps carbine that is abysmally inaccurate with "ring-tail" bullets. I have been shooting .570 round balls in it with much improved results. I drop the ball into the chamber, give it a push with a stick then 40 grains (measure) of Cream of Wheat followed by 50 grains of FFFg black powder. This just fills the chamber when closing the breech block. The COW seems to keep fouling to a minimum and the balls don't seem to suffer from the lack of lube. I don't get any leading whatever. I think the IAB Sharps has a twist rate of 1 in 66 or 72" which is perfect for the round ball. Recoil is less too!

jimb16
02-02-2013, 10:50 PM
The old screw barrel pistols and rifles were designed that way. If the ball fit, it would shoot safely. They were often .025 over bore diameter, and some took even larger differences.

rockrat
02-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Might be kind of tough to drive that oversized ball down the bore

BAGTIC
02-03-2013, 01:03 PM
Yup and they were no longer round balls by the time they were loaded which probably explains some of the accuracy limitations.