PDA

View Full Version : October 8!

Blammer
07-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Can't wait!

It's when our Muzzleloading deer season starts here in Western NC.

From Oct 8-13, bucks and does!

When does your's start!

Bullshop
07-19-2007, 08:52 PM
Subsistance hunt
caribou 8/1
grizz 8/1
moose 8/10
black bear - no closed season
BIC/BS

RBak
07-21-2007, 07:52 AM
Blammer, I often envy you guys back in the South East!

While I was still on active duty I had the distinctive honor of serving a few years in Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina. In fact, 90% of all my state side duty was in those four states.

The bag limits were very liberal, at least back in the day. And deer were thicker than fleas on a dogs back! Turkey were everywhere, and Bob White Quail were "pest" that fed out of your own pets bowl.

If memory serves me right, the bag limit on deer in Alabama at one time was, "Not to exceed one antlered deer per day"......I had calculated that one could possibly kill over one hundred legal deer in one season, if you hunted with bow, muzzleloader, and then modern. (Back then modern meant mostly shotgun... using slugs, or buckshot.)

Opening day of deer season meant no school for the kids, and it was hard to find anyone working in many public offices.

Now, here comes the funny part.......After the first few days of season you had a hard time trying to give a deer away! Even dressed, packaged, freezer ready, meat was hard to get rid of because everybody had all the deer they wanted or needed.

Yep, Wonderful memories indeed! I sure do miss those times.:(

Russ...

piwo
07-21-2007, 09:32 PM
There are some special draw hunts in some state parks in October, but our firearm (including muzzleloader) start in November. General firearms opens in 2nd saturday in November, imeadiately followed by muzzleloader only, @ week wait, and 11 more days of "does only" in the northern 20+ counties. Lots of opportunites, just not much time, nor buy in from SWMBO to shoot more then one deer. I'll get an extra doe tag however: got a non-hunting bud who want's one and gives me more time in the field.

7BRU
07-25-2007, 09:22 PM
where you gonna hunt. BRU

Blammer
07-25-2007, 10:40 PM
Probably head over to Green River Gamelands in Polk county.

singleshotbuff
07-31-2007, 04:42 PM
Here in Ohio, I think we can kill 7 deer this year, but only one antlered. Sure has changed a lot since I moved here 10 years ago when 2 was about it in most parts.

Here archery season starts in Sept (29th I think) and ends in Feb (3rd?).

Modern gun (shotgun, handgun or muzzleloader) is a week in Dec plus a weekend, 9 days total.

Actual M/L season is around christmas and runs 3 days.

So, I can hunt 12 days with a M/L, since I don't like to use a shotgun. I use the M/L during gun seson.

Not as much as I'd like, but better than some I guess. I sure miss living in Missouri where I could hunt with a rifle AND a muzzleloader on seperate tags. Here ya buy a DEER tag, doesn't matter what you kill it with.

SSB

piwo
07-31-2007, 06:45 PM
You can shoot unlimited does in the northern counties identified by our conservation department. You can kill one buck via firearm, one with bow, and and unlimited number of doe after that. You just need to buy the permits and they are like 9 bucks. I believe they dropped the premium for out of state hunters to shoot doe as well.

Unlike parts of the country that typically have "smallish" whitetail, this isn't the case with Missouri whitetail. Yearlings everywhere are small, but a two year Missouri whitetail is by no means tiny.

I just wish I had the means to process a bunch and stay out of hot water with SWMBO.:(

NSP64
08-26-2007, 08:27 AM
we can use muzzleloaders in all the firearm seasons(BUT CAN'T USE A RIFLE IN ANY) youth- 10/6&7 everyone 11/16-18, 11/29-12/2, MZ only12/7-9, everyone 1/18-20. You can only harvest 2 antlered per season but as many antlerless as you can get tags. :Fire: