PDA

View Full Version : Lone Wolf barrel on a Glock 23

588E
01-30-2013, 10:14 PM
I have a Lone Wolf barrel on a Glock 23.
Cast boolits sized to .4015
Rainier bullets mic at .400
The Rainier bullets OAL 1.125 cycle OK in the Lone Wolf barrel.
The cast boolits won’t cycle unless the OAL is 1.115 or less.
The slide doesn’t completely close on the cast boolits when the OAL is at 1.125
I have thought about purchasing a .400 sizing die thinking that his might fix the problem.
Any body else run into this problem.
The .4015 diameter of the cast boolit doesn't extend any further past the end of the case than the Rainier does.

emorris
01-30-2013, 10:50 PM
What cast boolit are you loading? I cast the lee 401-175 tc boolit and I have to seat at 1.110. The small sizing die may fix what your calling a problem, but the load may lead your barrel. I dont have my lyman #49 with me, but IIRC they show a load seated at 1.100. The .4015 diameter extending from the case is .4015 and the diameter extending from the case with rainier bullets is .400 according to your measurements. Somtimes this is enough of a difference to cause the bullet to touch the lands. Just seat deeper and work your loads up. I also like to seat a little deeper than what is required to give a little room for build up of lead/lube.

Ed_Shot
01-31-2013, 09:00 AM
I also load the Lee 401-175-TC (standard lube) to 1.110 for my G22 w/LW barrel. I size to .401 and use the Lee FDC. I get great accuracy and zero leading. The key issue I found for insuring 100% reliable function was the taper crimp. In my LW barrel if the case mouth is not crimped to .421 I will have problems. For me this means 1 full turn of taper crimp with the Lee die. For the Lee 401-145-SWC at COAL 1.200 it means 1 1/4 turn of taper crimp. Yes, it feels like I'm squeezing the devil out of them but there's no leading, fine accuracy and 100% function. If I ease off on the crimp things start hanging up.

588E
01-31-2013, 09:26 PM
Thanks emorris and Ed Shot for the info.
I'm using an Accurate Custom mold 40-150H at .402
I was a little concerned about seating the bullets that deep.
I’ll try turning the crimp die in a little more.
Currently the loaded case is .422 at the case mouth.

mnkyracer
02-01-2013, 01:40 AM
I know it is a different animal, but I have a LW bbl for a glock 21. It had an extremely tight chamber that anything sized over .451 wouldn't allow the slide to lock. Now I am not advocating bubba'ing a bbl, but since I didn't have another use for it, I SLIGHTLY, SLOWLY, CAREFULLY lapped the chamber using a dummy load. I only put compound on the top 1/3 of the case and cleaned and drop tested every couple of turns. It works "ok" now but still has feed issues. Accuracy is much better than the stock bbl, but I wouldn't trust it to carry.

Lloyd Smale
02-01-2013, 07:48 AM
ive got a wolf barrel for my 20 that does the same. It was so tight i sent it back and they were suppose to open it up a bit (which they will do for free if you send it in) It came back and still wouldnt run cast a 100 percent. I got fooling around at the range one day and found my stock barrel actually was more accurate with cast anyway and doesnt lead a bit so the wolf barrel sits i a drawer.

Bwana
02-01-2013, 09:27 AM
With Lone Wolf barrels you need to seat the boolit so that very little of the full diameter is beyond the end of the case mouth. I seat my Lee 175 TCs to 1.10". Of course my G23/32 Lone Wolf 40 S&W bbl gets very little use as the factory bbl does very well with my cast boolits.

Wayne S
02-01-2013, 11:08 PM
Lloyd & Bwana,
Glad you'll posted that you use cast in you OME Glock bbl's. Before the "panic buying" I was about to flip a coin, get a LW bbl or get 1000 Berry plated.Now that is settled.

curator
02-01-2013, 11:22 PM
Make sure your cases are not trimmed too short with cast too. I seat my Lee 400/175TL at 1.10 but have had lead "rings" form at the front of the chamber when cases were slightly shorter than .850. The Lee trim kit leaves cases at .846, creating the problem. I also cast from Water dropped 50/50 COWW/pure lead which gives BHN 14. Sized .401 and lubed with 45-45-10, the Lee taper crimp completes the loading for my Lone wolf barreled Glock 23. Good accuracy, reliable feeding/operation, and no leading.

chg
02-02-2013, 12:10 PM
Bwana,

Please tell me about shooting cast in a stock Glock. For years I've heard and read "no cast" in their barrels so I never gave their products a second glance. Shot a few of others but never even considered one to own. Now you got my interest up. Thanks, C. Howie Grunts

prs
02-02-2013, 02:38 PM
Like Lloyd and Bwana, I found my stock barrel to be more accurate, less fussy, and less leading than the Lone Wolf for my 23. Using Lee 401/175/TC sized to .401 with regular tumble lube. This does make a shorter than most OAL, but its a stocky and sorter nose leaves about the same interior room in the case. I let the round's fit in the barrel tell me the correct OAL. Cycles great. The TL401/175/SWC tended to lead a bit in either barrel, but I started casting with a little more antimony and hotter to get it larger and then sized it make those pesky little TL ridges less "proud". Now they shoot clean too and make a little longer OAL.

Oh yeah, all that malarky about leading and polygonal barrels and such is apparently pretty much just malarky. Keep an eye on it for leading until you are convinced one way or the other.

prs

Bwana
02-02-2013, 06:37 PM
Bwana,

Please tell me about shooting cast in a stock Glock. For years I've heard and read "no cast" in their barrels so I never gave their products a second glance. Shot a few of others but never even considered one to own. Now you got my interest up. Thanks, C. Howie Grunts

Here you go: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?33855-The-Truth-about-Glocks-and-Cast

I've posted what I know enough places on the web already so read that and make up your mind.

W.R.Buchanan
02-02-2013, 10:02 PM
No end to the naysayers on shooting Cast in Glocks. They have no idea what they are talking about.

I have shot cast in these guns extensively with stock barrels and no leading at all.

I have a Lone Wolf barrel for my G35 and it has never been reliable. so it sits.

I use plated bullets now almost exclusively in my Glocks with stock barrels. 165gr RNFP's for the .40 and 230 gr RN's for the .45.

Plated are just easier to use, and you don't have to make them.

.40S&W Taper crimp to .418/7. .45 ACP taper crimp to .470.

Randy