PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Cast in High Definition Gun Video

Christorbust
01-30-2013, 10:09 PM
So I wanted to briefly share this video that a friend made when I gave him some of my homemade 309-165 Ranch Dogs rolled up in 30-30 shells to test out.

Bump it up to 720p and enjoy!

Warning: this video is not a review of any product, it was made in less than an hour by my producer friend as a thank you for some boolits I rolled him. This video was not intended for an audience, but I thought I would share it because I think it has relatively good production value for the small amount of time outlay. I think the cast (and gun) worlds could use more talented video producers, hence me sharing this tidbit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajh8dzRgEy4

Now he was mostly goofing off when he did that, but he has real talent, and since that video has started his own production company. We have begun talks about making a Youtube show dedicated to high production quality gun reviews/shooting/cast boolits etc.

I would love to hear from you guys what you like to see in a gun review/gun video? What you don't like? Etc... If things go productively we may have a "pilot" episode in a couple of weeks.

I love this forum and hopefully can help to further the arts!

savingprivateyang
01-30-2013, 10:56 PM
When watching a review, I like the information to be direct. No "beating around the bush" type stuff. It doesn't hurt to see the product in action. When watching a "how to" video, I like thorough information. Very detailed descriptions of what's happening in each of the steps of the process helps me visualize what's going on in my head. Good camera angles and lighting really help to give me a better understanding of the process too. I hope you guys do great in this endeavor. It's always good to have more useful reviews on the things I'm interested in before I purchase them for myself.

Shooternz
01-30-2013, 11:05 PM
Not to be to picky but he should tone down the music it's a bit over the top, he's not the only one most of the video clips are the same,

Bullshop
01-30-2013, 11:13 PM
He broke some nevers of the ten commandments of gun safety. He loaded the gun, he set it down then walked in front of it. Not good!

Christorbust
01-30-2013, 11:33 PM
Savingprivateyang- thanks for the constructive comments, those are actually great tips.

Shooternz I think he was intending to be a little over the top, but I'll keep that in mind. I think there are a lot of low quality gun videos, one camera, one angle, one scene. I haven't seen many good quality ones, please enlighten me if you know them. Also, the video you saw was just
something he made goofing off in an hour one day as a thank you for the bullets I sent him, I really don't think he intended it for a large audience.

Bullshop he cut and pasted the different scenes around as he liked, I doubt he actually loaded the gun until he was ready to fire. Movie magic made it appear that way for sure, but I suppose it would be a better idea to show safe handling habits, even if we have already cleared everything off camera. We will have to be mindful of how we splice everything together in the end. Input received!

Keep it flowing guys!

KYCaster
01-31-2013, 03:08 AM
NO EYE PROTECTION!!

I suppose I may be too critical.........but........if you're going to present information to the general public then you should know more about your subject than the average viewer.

What do you expect the viewer to get from the video? Did you show me how accurate your bullet is? Did you show me how effective your bullet is? Did you show me how cool you look on YouTube?

Maybe I'm just being too critical, but like I used to tell my son...."If you just want to make noise, firecrackers are a heck of a lot cheaper!"

Overall............Composition, OK. Editing, OK. Content, ZERO.

Oh, one more thing.....That John Wayne move there at the end.....I don't like to see a good piece of equipment abused. Unless it's an essential part of the demonstration or part of a destructive test, I don't think it's appropriate.

But then, what do I know about it? Maybe I should just delete this and mind my own business..................

........................NAH!

Jerry

btroj
01-31-2013, 08:44 AM
I agree with Jerry. The gun move at the end I found silly. I don't abuse my guns like that. Leave that garbage to Hollywood.
What was the content? What was reviewed? I saw someone shooting. What was I supposed to get out of it? I don't know any more now than I did before.
Like Jerry and Bullshop said, safety issues were present. No eye protection. Walking in front of the muzzle. Safety MUST be a primary concern, no wiggle room on that.
Get a real range. A bit of wood on the ground means ricochet. Where did the bullet stop? A bench would be better than what was shown.
If you want to produce a professional video then it required more than a camera and editing software. It requires content, composition, and knowing the target audience.

Blammer
01-31-2013, 08:52 AM
slow down on the "jumping" scene's made me dizzy.

ku4hx
01-31-2013, 09:02 AM
I started my own outfitting company once. I know I did because the company name was printed on the top of the letterhead I created.

Christorbust
02-04-2013, 12:24 AM
To all posters: I suppose I was not clear originally, this video clip is NOT a review of anything or a sample of what we are possibly hoping to produce. This video was created by my producer friend in an hour one day to thank me for the 30-30 boolits I had made for him. He was mostly goofing off, and never intended it for an audience. I put it on here because I found it entertaining that he could do it that quickly, and I thought it had relatively high quality production value related to the amount of time he put into it.

I suppose I may have been better served to leave the video out, and to just ask for your desired opinion:

What do you like/dislike/wish to see in a gun review video on youtube?

Take 2.

02-04-2013, 12:56 AM
I want to see careful gun handlers, specific information or purpose of the video, and helpful / thoughtful insights. Immature, unsafe, chest puffing trash is a waste of my time and fodder for the antis to use.

Driver man
02-04-2013, 01:52 AM
I want to see the group. I want to see the boolits. I want to know what range it was shot at. Love watching the video, can tolerate the music, good to see such enjoyment with the shooting .

Triggernosis
02-04-2013, 09:01 AM
He also needs to rest the forestock on the bag, not the barrel. [smilie=1:

deltaenterprizes
02-04-2013, 09:13 AM
He broke some nevers of the ten commandments of gun safety. He loaded the gun, he set it down then walked in front of it. Not good!

He was not wearing eye protection also!

He should first learn safe gun handling and make videos teaching that, we have too many idiots with guns now due to people learning about guns from TV and movies.

Gun accidents give gun grabbers ammunition in the fight to take guns away!

btroj
02-04-2013, 09:28 AM
THismisnt necessarily the best target audience for videos. Many here have so much experience that they aren't interested in watching a video review. Many here, if they chose to, could make them!
First thing to do is identify your target audience. What do they want? Will they pay for it?
Are you doing reviews, education, or demonstrations?
The video production is only part of the picture. No matter how high the quality of the video and production if the content isn't right then none of it matters.

Personally I don't use YouTube to learn anything regarding firearms. I am actually far more likely to see links to videos there done by people who are clueless. Please don't be one of those people.

ku4hx
02-04-2013, 09:48 AM
[B]TWhat do you like [...] to see in a gun review video on youtube?

Well, since you asking for honest feedback ... nothing. I find YouTube gun videos amateurish, tedious, long winded and tiresome. Some I find downright dangerous. I do watch a few of Hickock45's but that's basically all. What you're doing is asking a bunch of battle scarred barnyard cats how to go about building your first LEGO mouse trap.

As to the disclaimer in your post, it's admirable to explain to people the production was rushed and is therefore not to misconstrued as indicative of the final release quality. I notice you made no disclaimer concerning dangerous gun handling or destructive "Hollywood" gun techniques. I guess it's a good thing you didn't even attempt to disclaim irresponsible behavior since there's just no excuse for such when dealing with any gun.

Of course this is strictly my opinion, but you did ask for it.

frkelly74
02-04-2013, 10:35 AM
This is a tough crowd. You asked for criticism and you got it. It is constructive and all given out of a vast collection of experience and knowledge, and common sense. It is exactly what I would have expected.

frkelly74
02-04-2013, 10:37 AM
He was not wearing eye protection also!

He should first learn safe gun handling and make videos teaching that, we have too many idiots with guns now due to people learning about guns from TV and movies.

Gun accidents give gun grabbers ammunition in the fight to take guns away!

Especially if you would happen to get it on camera and post it.

waksupi
02-04-2013, 12:47 PM
I saw enough to know I wouldn't want to go shooting with him.

mdi
02-04-2013, 01:20 PM
I saw no intent/claim to make this video a "review" of any product, reloading method, or shooting proceedure/safety. It showed a man shooting a Marlin with what appeared to be a cast bullet. Nothing was offered for sale, nothing was touted as "reloading or shooting gospel". It's just a short video for entertainment purposes only. You guys seemed to have "dogpiled" on the OP and video maker....

KYCaster
02-04-2013, 08:12 PM
I saw no intent/claim to make this video a "review" of any product, reloading method, or shooting proceedure/safety. It showed a man shooting a Marlin with what appeared to be a cast bullet. Nothing was offered for sale, nothing was touted as "reloading or shooting gospel". It's just a short video for entertainment purposes only. You guys seemed to have "dogpiled" on the OP and video maker....

OK, now I get it..........kinda like network TV. Nothing useful there, just a waste of time.

Jerry

FLHTC
02-04-2013, 08:34 PM
He also needs to rest the forestock on the bag, not the barrel. [smilie=1:

It doesn't matter with a full length magazine tube and a barrel band. Unless the gun was upside down, he couldn't rest it on the barrel. ;)

Phoenix
02-04-2013, 08:46 PM
This was entertainment pure and simple. The point was to ask what we thought of the production skills of its maker. I am quite sure the intent wasnt to test who could spot the safety flaws or other actions of the shooter. I dont know anyone who hasnt shot a gun without glasses. I also dont know anyone who hasnt shot a gun without hearing protection. Police/millitary dont usually use either in the line of duty. Sure they do at the practice range. but I never heard of a cop asking the perp to hold on while I put my glasses or earplugs on. I dont carry earplugs when I open or concealed carry. The point is firing a few shots without eye protection is unlikely to create a serious issue. Is it risky? Yes but so is driving, walking, and just about anything else. Video production is a matter of taste, it is artistic. some may not like the shifting scenes other may think it awesome. some of it is a factor of age group. Ever notice the recent changes in advertising? it is because a younger group is taking over the advertising firms/PR departments.

I do understand the issue of not ignoring safety when dealing with the public. Set a good example etc, But this was never intended for release so you cant bring those standards into the mix.

My opinion? It wasnt bad at all for something someone threw together in an hour. It would be interesting to see what he/she can do with more time and some money behind it.

btroj
02-05-2013, 09:29 AM
Can't bring those factors into play because it wasn't made for release?

The no eye protection in this video tells me this is a guy who frequently doesn't wear eye protection. If eye protection is something you always wear when shooting en putting it on is like putting on shoes , it just happens. Period.

Fun safety isn't something to be ignored. It isn't to be compromised. It is something that MUST happen EVERY time a firearm is handled.

Pile on? Yes we did, because it is deserved. We saw unsafe practices. We don't let those things slide. Not now, not ever.

Want a soft, cushy review of something? Go elsewhere, this sites always going to be tough.

Christorbust
02-05-2013, 09:52 AM
Wow. That round of comments was at least more constructive, and one thing I can appreciate about castboolits, you guys will stick to your guns. :guntootsmiley:

I'll be honest, go ahead crucify me, I don't consider eye protection all the time when shooting rifles, semi autos and handguns yes, but not bolt and lever actions. Maybe its because I didn't wear them hunting growing up...

I think the audience does matter in how you demonstrate safety practices. Example: Meet up with a buddy I shoot with, I have a new gun and he wants to see it. I drop the clip, open the chamber and hand it to him. End scene. Scenario 2: I am showing someone unfamiliar with guns a gun, I drop the clip, open the chamber, tell them it is empty, show them there is no clip, manually stick my finger in the chamber for them to see no bullet is hiding in there, show them it is empty, then hand it to them and help them repeat. I approach safety differently based on the crowd; one can be safe without spelling it out for all.

Thanks for keeping the reading interesting :coffeecom

1Shirt
02-05-2013, 10:11 AM
It would be nice if the video was more definative, and had more explaination of blt, loads, Vols, etc., and all of the other statements made by previous responders.
1Shirt!

popper
02-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Kind of like a recording demo - has to knock their socks off in the first 10 sec or forget it. Camera work is fun but the 'producer' controls content and it must be right. Content was a guy shooting cast in a levergun. As pointed out, safety, objective (market), correctness, etc. Processing and editing is not the 'producers' job, except to keep the 'concept' on track. Now if he has an ultra high speed camera and could do some bullet travel vids, wow!

Charlie Two Tracks
02-05-2013, 02:42 PM
I got a smile out of the music. My take is that one buddy gave another buddy some boolits and the second buddy make him a video for private viewing. At their age, I would have done that move at the last also if I thought it was just going to be viewed by my buddy. He made a good video showing you what he did with your boolits. Now if this was for viewing by the public...... then the above suggestions would apply. I just personally see the movie as a guy messing around with his pal. Ya must have loaded them right because there were no misfires or KABOOM going on. Thanks for posting. When you go public, be sure to use all the suggestions mentioned. You have to be overly careful of how others interpret what you are showing.
The movie reminds me of a buddy I had in my younger days. One day after work I got home to find a quail with an arrow smack dab through the middle of him. My buddy had been out deer hunting and by luck (not the way he told it) he had hit the quail that was sitting on a fence with a target point. A waste of meat? Ya, but a memory I still am fond of.

plainsman456
02-05-2013, 03:07 PM
The video was clear and it looked like he was having fun doing it.
The music was a little loud when he shot.

Like others the backstop for his target seemed a little open ended,what was on the other side.
And last if someone was watching they might not see all of the safety precautions that should have been there.

But it is amazing what one can do with the newer cameras these days.

mdi
02-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Can't bring those factors into play because it wasn't made for release?

The no eye protection in this video tells me this is a guy who frequently doesn't wear eye protection. If eye protection is something you always wear when shooting en putting it on is like putting on shoes , it just happens. Period.

Fun safety isn't something to be ignored. It isn't to be compromised. It is something that MUST happen EVERY time a firearm is handled.

Pile on? Yes we did, because it is deserved. We saw unsafe practices. We don't let those things slide. Not now, not ever.

Want a soft, cushy review of something? Go elsewhere, this sites always going to be tough.

So, how do you feel about movies? Actors driving cas way over the speed limit? Do you write to the movie producers/writers complaining about Rambo shooting a full auto machine gun, one handed, from the hip without eye or ear protection or concern about what lies beyond the target? What do you feel about Agent Gibbs blasting away at the bad guys sans eye/ear protection and how may times do you write the TV station about "muzzle sweeping" a whole group of bystanders? Have you written your local PD to insis that all patrol officers wear eye and ear protection, all the time on duty (some may have to fire a gun, ya know)?

Just pointing out that not every small infraction on a video/movie needs to be suject to a safety rant. Now live action, standing next to the shooter in question is a different matter...

rbertalotto
02-05-2013, 06:55 PM
iIf someone is going to make a video about a subject and then post that video in front of extreme hobbiests, he should have a little clue about what he is doing.............

EXTREMELY poor safety...eye protection, walking in front of loaded guns......

Has no idea on how to use a front and rear bag........Where to rest the firearm on them, how to manipulate the rear bad.....

There is more, but I'll just leave it at that.

I suggest he doesn't quite his day job.......:(

mdi
02-06-2013, 01:08 PM
He who is without sin, cast the first stone...

btroj
02-06-2013, 08:53 PM
I may not be without sin but I don't advertise it all over. If I am shooting with someone and they call me on unsafe practices I don't whine and say cops do it all the time.
I always wear eye and ear protection when shooting. I don't sweep muzzles across people. I don't walk in front of rifles that aren't grounded, actions open.
Good safety habits are just that, habits. Poor habits are the same.
If making "instructional" videos then make the right.
Hollywood movies are entertainment, not intended to be instructional. Failure to understand the difference between reality and make believe scares me. Sadly it seems that some don't.

Instructional videos dealing with shooting MUST be held to a high standard regarding safety. Teaching poor habits regarding safety has no place in this sport. Period.

I think the OP has some good ideas, he just needs to tweak things. Promote the right values. Safety must always be first.

Christorbust
02-06-2013, 11:10 PM
Fun safety isn't something to be ignored. It isn't to be compromised.

I agree wholeheartedly, we cannot ignore FUN safety :-D. I kid, but joking aside this thread is starting to take a more constructive turn and I for one am relieved!

I'm young, I'm in my 20's, my dad wasn't around a lot through my early teens and I had to learn some things myself. I'll be honest, and mean no disrespect, but was starting to feel like a bunch of old guys were sitting on a porch waving their canes at me in this thread, telling me what I'm doing wrong, but few were willing to get up and show me what to do right. I appreciated and respected Charlie Two Tracks approach, and the few that mixed what they liked with more of what they would like to see, that's encouraging and informative and I thank you.

So get up off the porch, walk out say "Hey kid good shooting, I like your gusto. Let me teach you some things about that rifle, show you a better safer way to hold it, and I bet I can hit that pop can farther than you!"

Share your experience, I'm all ears.

FYI: worry no more this was shot into the base of a small mountain from a valley, phew!:drinks:

btroj
02-06-2013, 11:23 PM
Dang iPad, I frequently mis type gun as fun. They are fun though.....

You will find that you won't get soft evaluations here. We are a tought crowd. Vocal too.

On the other hand, make a good, useful video and we can reward you for it with praise.

First, define your target audience. Then determine what content you want. Be extra careful with details like safety. Content is way more important than production quality. Keep music and tricky editing to a minimum, it can be distracting. Ultimate goal must always be getting your message cross.

mdi
02-07-2013, 01:21 PM
I may not be without sin but I don't advertise it all over. If I am shooting with someone and they call me on unsafe practices I don't whine and say cops do it all the time.
I always wear eye and ear protection when shooting. I don't sweep muzzles across people. I don't walk in front of rifles that aren't grounded, actions open.
Good safety habits are just that, habits. Poor habits are the same.
If making "instructional" videos then make the right.
Hollywood movies are entertainment, not intended to be instructional. Failure to understand the difference between reality and make believe scares me. Sadly it seems that some don't.

Instructional videos dealing with shooting MUST be held to a high standard regarding safety. Teaching poor habits regarding safety has no place in this sport. Period.

I think the OP has some good ideas, he just needs to tweak things. Promote the right values. Safety must always be first.

Exactly what I'm saying! The OP's video was not meant to be instructional, was not intended to promote any product, just offered as entertainment...

btroj
02-07-2013, 08:41 PM
In the original, UN edited post he stated He wanted input for firearm review videos.
There was no comment in the original post about this being for entertainment only.

Ii still hold a person on this site to a higher standard. Always. Even in entertainment.

dverna
02-08-2013, 07:44 PM
Pretty well useless.

Actually - worse than useless as comments above prove.

Don

Christorbust
02-11-2013, 08:57 PM
Don, if you were going for rude you succeeded. The video served its intended purpose, a friend spending a short amount of time thanking another friend in a unique way for something they had made.

We did a little filming today; it's harder to be in front of a camera than I would have originally thought. I think we are currently looking at being 50/50 entertainment/info. 95% of the Youtube table top gun review videos can bring the basic facts. The question is can you break out and be entertaining as well as have good quality production value?

Will Don approve of the finished product?!?!? Will he find it "worse than useless?"

...stay tuned optimists and pessimists to find out :-D