PDA

View Full Version : Is 100 rds enough for test ?

BACKTOSHOOTING
01-30-2013, 01:24 PM
Shot my first cast on monday in 9mm and 45acp 100 rds each, My loads were:
9mm RCBS 125TC, Lubed 45/45/10 with Bullseye, 3.4gn, 3.7gn, 4.0gn
The 3.4 would eject the shells on top of my head, the 3.7 shot well and cleared my head and the 4.0 shot very well and cases fell 3-5 ft to my right.
Good groupings on all the loads 5" at 25'
These were shot thru my Glock 17 with a Lonewolf 6" SS barrel.

The 45 were from a Lee 200swc, lubed 45/45/10 with Bullseye at 4.7gn,5.0gn,5.3gn.
The 4.7shoot extreamly well with a 3" pattern at 35'
The 5.0 was all over the target and the 5.3 shoot well but was very stout. These were shot thru my Kimber TLE custom SS.

When I took the guns apart to clean and inspect for lead I was quite suprised to find only a very small amount of lead in the barrels and it cleaned up with just a few strokes with hopps#9 and the barrel had no stubbern streaks at all.

So for my question did I shoot enough rds to tell if I'll have leading or not ?

I am very happy with my results and it happened because of all the wisedom and advice I recieved on this Site.
Cant wait for My Rossi 92 to get out of jail.

Larry Gibson
01-30-2013, 02:59 PM
If it's not leading in 100 rounds I'd say it's good to go.

Larry Gibson

44man
01-30-2013, 04:32 PM
I suppose a pistol might need that but every revolver I ever had has been perfected in 12 to 24 rounds.
You would think every empty from say, a 1911, would bounce off each other in a nice neat pile. But that would take a perfect hold from shot to shot too. Those things drive me crazy finding brass.
Ever notice most empties are hole up so you can't see them?

MBTcustom
01-30-2013, 04:37 PM
If you have rounds that were made wrong, you will see leading before you get through 15 shots. Past that, you could probably shoot 600 and not have a problem.
I'd say you got it covered. Congratulations!

cylinderman
01-30-2013, 05:26 PM
I agree too, 100 rds you are good to go. My experience a clean barrel will lead a bit with the first few rounds then 25 rds later be almost non existant. Barrels I only shoot cast in, which is most, I will run a brush in the chamber and only dry patch the bore. I only scrub out the bore if there is some build up or drop in accuracy.

Recluse
01-30-2013, 05:27 PM
The 45 were from a Lee 200swc, lubed 45/45/10 with Bullseye at 4.7gn,5.0gn,5.3gn.
The 4.7shoot extreamly well with a 3" pattern at 35'
The 5.0 was all over the target and the 5.3 shoot well but was very stout. These were shot thru my Kimber TLE custom SS.

When I took the guns apart to clean and inspect for lead I was quite suprised to find only a very small amount of lead in the barrels and it cleaned up with just a few strokes with hopps#9 and the barrel had no stubbern streaks at all.

I have that Lee 200SWC with a bevel base and it's my number two all-time favorite boolit. I also tumble-lube it and size it at .452 then tumble-lube it again. The only time I ever get any leading from it is when I push it too hard with a fast powder like Bullseye.

My standard load for that boolit is 4.6 grains of Bullseye. With that, I can shoot one ragged hole at 50' hand-held all day long.

:coffee:

Blammer
01-30-2013, 11:24 PM
nope, no no no, you MUST shoot at LEAST 600 rounds with NO cleaning at all to say it's good to go!

:)

just kidding. I'd definitely say it's good to go after 100 rnds.

williamwaco
01-31-2013, 11:25 PM
If you have rounds that were made wrong, you will see leading before you get through 15 shots. Past that, you could probably shoot 600 and not have a problem.
I'd say you got it covered. Congratulations!

Some times 10 shots is enough.

If a clean dry patch will clean it after 20. I consider it a good load.
(It was clean before the 20 rounds, )

Wolfer
01-31-2013, 11:35 PM
My expierence is like everyone else's. I get a little leading in the first few shots but then doesn't get any worse and accuracy doesn't fall off. If I have a problem it'll be shooting patterns before 50 rds.
Some of my guns won't shoot their best until I have a few rds down the barrel. That's after cleaning of course which I rarely do anymore.

Cherokee
02-01-2013, 12:15 AM
What "Wolfer" said.

MBTcustom
02-01-2013, 08:00 AM
In contrast, I finally bought a Dillon 550 (yay me!) last year. I was using a Lee crimp die in the final stage of the process. I didn't realize that the carbide ring in that die was sizing down my boolits inside the cases. And being that I have loaded thousands upon thousands of 45 ACP's, and taught many fellers how to do the same, and my great grandpa had a hand in developing smokeless powder and told John Browning that a pistol could in fact be operated by recoil, and my dad helped design the H&G #68 and was close friends with Ed McGivern and helped get the guy lined out on how to shoot a pistol...........(BS BS BS BS BS BS)........I decided that I didn't need to pull any of the boolits and make sure they were still the right size, and I just cranked out half an ammo can of 45's (It sure is easy to do with a Dillon).
In fact, the boolits were no longer .452 but had been sized down to .449 inside the brass cases.
I went to the range and started blasting.
The first thing I noticed was that I was having trouble hitting where I was aiming.
Figured I was just rusty, so I kept it going.
I had four loaded magazines in my belt and it usually doesn't take me long to empty them.
I was shooting my IAI hardballer longslide with one of those bushing compensators (about as useless as a screen door on a submarine, but sure looks cool on a longslide LOL!)
By the time I got to the last magazine, the slide was getting stiff, and it locked about halfway back before I finished the last mag. You see that bushing was getting leaded up from all the residual fragments that the boolits were pushing out ahead of it, and since the barrel slides through that bushing upon recoil, it got bound up.
Looking down the barrel, I could see not rifling at all. It was like looking down a piece of cast aluminum pipe.
Fortunately, I had a cleaning brush and some steel wool with me (just in case) and after a few strokes, I got the rifling back, but that range session was a total drag!
The fellers I was shooting with got quite a chuckle out of that episode!

What I hope you can take from this is that A. leading is no big deal when it does happen and is easily cleaned up, and B. if you have problems with serious leading, it wont take long for you to figure it out! The second shot will tell the tale. After about 15 you have reached critical mass, and the leading is not getting any worse because a good bit of it is getting blown out the end of the barrel by the subsequent boolits.

BACKTOSHOOTING
02-01-2013, 11:30 AM
Goodsteal, Lesons hard learned and I had that problem with some cast that I bought from a company [BEFORE] i found this site and accually learned what to do to make things fit right instead of just loading and shoot.
I wish i had measuered my barrels before i loaded 1000rds, so i will shoot them and clean till gone.

Hindsite is so over rated, Steve

prs
02-01-2013, 11:45 AM
I suppose a pistol might need that but every revolver I ever had has been perfected in 12 to 24 rounds.
You would think every empty from say, a 1911, would bounce off each other in a nice neat pile. But that would take a perfect hold from shot to shot too. Those things drive me crazy finding brass.
Ever notice most empties are hole up so you can't see them?

I'm glad its not just me. I'd just about swear that Gremlins were picking up my brass and then tossing them back down after I have already looked very closely. And often, the danged things appear to be right there in plain sight, how did I ever miss 'em.

prs

rockshooter
02-01-2013, 11:53 PM
Backtoshooting- something to think about- what if you discover after 10 rounds that the load is terrible?
I usually load no more than 20 rds when I'm experimenting- I can always load a whole bunch more good ones but would hate to take apart 80 bad ones.
Loren

BACKTOSHOOTING
02-02-2013, 12:52 AM
Backtoshooting- something to think about- what if you discover after 10 rounds that the load is terrible?
I usually load no more than 20 rds when I'm experimenting- I can always load a whole bunch more good ones but would hate to take apart 80 bad ones.
Loren

I took that into consideration, My post may not have been to clear, I loaded 33 rds each of the powder grains and in both calibers so after 10-15 rds i didnt like them or had a leading problem there was really not that much to dissasemble.

Steve

Shiloh
02-02-2013, 12:40 PM
More than enough to tell you what you need to know.
When you find your load though, 100 mqy not be enough for the plate range.:bigsmyl2:

Shiloh