PDA

View Full Version : Proper Top Punch

DeadWoodDan
01-30-2013, 08:22 AM
need some education, still getting my feet wet with my RCBS sizer. Currently i only have two molds that were purchased new and came with a top punch. I am hoping to get some 311365 samples and if i wanted to size/lube& check them my self I'm assuming i woould have to have the appropreite top punch? Is there a chart i can look to cross reference?

thanks
DWD

imashooter2
01-30-2013, 08:36 AM
The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook provides a listing of their molds with the appropriate top punch. For the 311365, you need a 329 top punch.

GRUMPA
01-30-2013, 09:06 AM
OR??? there's a member here that sells blanks, all you do is put a 2 part epoxy in the nose punch and let it set up on the nose of the boolit and wait till it dries. Kinda makes it neat and simple, best yet......you can pretty near make your own in a way.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?112298-Conformal-No-Tools-Needed-Lyman-RCBS-Style-Nose-Punches

Sasquatch-1
01-30-2013, 09:18 AM
In the Midsouth Catalog the list the top punches for RCBS and for Lyman. I guess with Lee you will have to find a point that is similar and get that one. I know RCBS will custom make top punches for their seating dies for around $25.00.

imashooter2
01-30-2013, 09:20 AM
I bought the first set of theperfessor's top punches when he offered them as a site benefit auction. They are top quality items from a respected site sponsor. The only issue I would have with them in this application is that you will have difficulty starting the long pointed boolit straight to center and allow the epoxy to harden unless you have a die that is very close to as cast diameter.

ShooterAZ
01-30-2013, 10:49 AM
OR??? there's a member here that sells blanks, all you do is put a 2 part epoxy in the nose punch and let it set up on the nose of the boolit and wait till it dries. Kinda makes it neat and simple, best yet......you can pretty near make your own in a way.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?112298-Conformal-No-Tools-Needed-Lyman-RCBS-Style-Nose-Punches

The epoxy method works perfectly. Even some of the top punches designed for a particular mold will put a ring mark on the boolit. The epoxy method quickly and easily solves this. Also if you ever want to remove it, put under a small torch for a couple of seconds and it will remove easily.

41 mag fan
01-30-2013, 10:50 AM
Get ahold of theperfessor on here. Keith can set you up with the correct punches you're needing for a lot cheaper price than you would pay if going thru Midway or some other mercantile place.

Besides the quality being much better, you'll be supporting a member sponsor on here, and Keith is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet or deal with.

01-30-2013, 12:13 PM
Here's another plug for theperfessor -- quality products that are very reasonably priced.

I use hot melt glue, in his top punches, as it sets up quicker, and is easier to remove, though it's not as durable as epoxy.

stocker
01-30-2013, 01:32 PM
If you are just doing a limited number of samples you can adapt most 30 cal top punches by using hot glue as a temporary nose form. It removes easier than epoxy which is desirable for just doing a trial but isn't the best solution for extended use. I think I arranged for the first batch of nose punch blanks made by a member here several years back. They've been a Godsend as few dealers in Canada carry much stock of factory nose punches and there are delays getting them from State side promptly . Some of the blanks have been used for multiple epoxy re-forms as need arose.

PS: and now I see the post before mine said the same darn thing in half the space. Senior moment.

theperfessor
01-30-2013, 03:15 PM
I can help. See my sig line.