PDA

View Full Version : Clays in 44 mag

reloader28
01-30-2013, 12:34 AM
Anyone tried Clays for 44 mag? It works great in my 2 pistols.

Using an RCBS 240gr SWC gas checked (drops at 245gr). I use Pat Marlins check maker so I can play with these boolits way more now. I started with 6.5gr and it shot pretty decent. Worked up to 7.5gr and my Ruger was stuffing the boolits into the same hole at 15yds. I was happy since I have almost a full keg of Clays on the shelf.

Brought out the chrono and it was 998fps average. Almost perfect since I was wanting about 1000fps. Tried this load in my Virginian Dragoon the next day and all the holes were overlapping so now I'm double happy. I have 2 buddies with pistols to try it in, but all my other loads shoot good in theirs so I'm hoping this one will too. I didnt try any hotter loads. After getting these groups I was happy enough, but maybe I should.

At 7.5gr, thats alotta shooting from my keg. Seems to be a nice clean shooting load with moderate recoil and I think it would work on a deer.:mrgreen:

Ole
01-30-2013, 02:27 AM
I'm right there with you brother. I used to buy Unique @ $20/lb at the local gun store but ended up caving and buying an 8lb jug of Green dot (works well in my shotgun) for just over $100 from Powder valley. I've read many places you can substitute GD for Unique, just reduce the powder charge by 10%. Everyone wins. :drinks:

ultramag
01-30-2013, 04:17 AM
I've been shooting quite a bit of .44 Mag with Clays over the last month or two and have been having very similiar results. I've only made it up to 6.5 gr. so far w/ a 240 gr. LSWC but the load keeps getting more accurate as I increase the charge. I've not set-up a chronograph yet. Nice to hear you did well up to a 7.5 gr. charge as I was wanting to push this one yet a little further since accuracy keeps improving. Hodgdon data stops at 6.2 gr. What Ruger are you loading for? Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter here.

I've also been working up cast loads of the lighter variety for my .454 Casull and am going to try Clays in it as well I think. I'd been a little hesitant as I can find no info on Clays in this caliber even though .44M and .45 LC data is everywhere. I think I'm going to start w/ a 6.5 gr charge of Clays under a 255 gr LSWC using a standard small rifle primer. I'd sure like to see this perform as well as I'm sitting on a bunch of Clays too. The 8 lb jug I'm loading out of now has a 1994 date on the side. :shock:

Beau Cassidy
01-30-2013, 08:56 AM
I too have had good luck with 6.5 grains of Clays with a 240 gr. bullet. I am haven't gone any higher since you can max out on the powder and get into trouble real quick. Another good load for me has been 7.5 grains of WST which is currently my go to load.

bobthenailer
01-30-2013, 10:53 AM
Ive only used clays in the 45 acp , with good results
I personaly have been using Bullseye & Tightgroup in the 357 & 44 Mag & 454 Casull for loads from 800 to 1,100 fps for many years , with excellent accuracy from every gun & cast bullet ive tried it with

Maven
01-30-2013, 01:51 PM
"I too have had good luck with 6.5 grains of Clays with a 240 gr. bullet. I am haven't gone any higher since you can max out on the powder and get into trouble real quick." ...BC

My jug of original Clays (light gray disks)lists 6.5grs. as a MAX. load in the .44Mag. with the 240gr. CB. I've tried 6.1grs. ( what my Ly. Accumeasure rotor throws) and have been quite pleased with it.

reloader28
01-30-2013, 06:11 PM
Just for the record, my Lee book said 6.2gr Clays was max with 21,800 CUP with 940fps for a 240gr boolit. I figure I'm not much above that.
6.5gr shot pretty decent, but the higher I got the better it shot.
It defanitly aint maxed out in my guns. Everything looks A OK.

Wolfer
01-30-2013, 07:41 PM
Years ago I took up skeet shooting for a very short time. When I quit I had a nearly full jug of clays. I tried it in most every gun I own including rifles with good results in all. Since its close to bullseye in burn rate I use it anywhere it's listed. If there's no data for clays I'll get an idea of where to start from the BE data.
I think the powder in my jug must be reproducing as I can't seem to run out of it.
I use unique for my hunting loads but clays will get me pretty close.