PDA

View Full Version : pewter?

chevyiron420
07-19-2007, 02:22 AM
i have seen pewter brought up now and again but i dont know why. is it usefull for boolit casting?-phil:castmine:

Moose
07-19-2007, 02:43 AM
There are lots of alloys called 'Pewter', including some that are lead-free. In general, pewter is best used for other things, such as plates, cups, eating tools and the like. Way too expensive for bullets, IMHO. But yes, you could cast bullets out of it.

imashooter2
07-19-2007, 06:22 AM
Yard sale lead free pewter can be a good source of tin at very low prices.

deerhunter1
07-19-2007, 06:53 AM
I just check in the thrift store's for pewter. You can get it for dirt cheep. Good for adding a little tin to ww metal.

No_1
07-19-2007, 07:41 AM
How do you know it when you see it? What are the tell tale signs? How much would you add to WW's? Does it come in different %'s?

Ohio Rusty
07-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Pewter looks alot like tin in the fact it stays silvery in color. Most of the pewter you see is alloyed with aluminum to make castings. That kind of pewter won't melt at our casting temps. Pure pewter will melt like lead. I wouldn't use pewter for bullets anyway as it has a better use and value for casting knife bolsters and pommels, nose caps on muzzleloading guns, etc. I have two small chunks of pure pewter for muzzleloading uses only.
Ohio Rusty

Pepe Ray
07-19-2007, 10:48 AM
I have long since used yard sale/salvaged pewter. I regret to say that I've "put up to secure" my info sources, but wager that they are available by Google.
Real pewter comes in several different alloys but they will ALL be marked P-E-W-T-E-R on the bottom. Unless things have changed radically in the last few, Aluminum will not be in the mix. In the old days tin and lead were the primary parts. When it came to light the dangers of lead in contact with food the Silversmiths altered that in the mix, concentrating on tin 'n stuff.
I've picked up cups and such that I was ALMOST certain it was pewter by its looks, but have it still as it was NOT marked as the older stuff.
Some day I'll find the time to test.
Pepe Ray

swoter
07-19-2007, 06:11 PM
Stopped in a thrift store today and picked up a pewter cup for 90 cents. It says english pewter on the bottom, and is fairly soft, can bend it with your hands. Do I just add the weight I want to the mix just like I would tin?

chevyiron420
07-19-2007, 06:39 PM
im going to hit the thrift stores for what i can find, but i have a secret weapon, my mom can find every yard sale anyware.-phil:castmine:

imashooter2
07-19-2007, 08:13 PM
Stopped in a thrift store today and picked up a pewter cup for 90 cents. It says english pewter on the bottom, and is fairly soft, can bend it with your hands. Do I just add the weight I want to the mix just like I would tin?

Yes...

swoter
07-19-2007, 08:20 PM
Thank you. Never fooled with the alloys before, always cast pure for my muzzleloaders. This is all kind of new.