PDA

View Full Version : shoot a glock can I cast

gunboonie
01-29-2013, 11:58 PM
Can I shoot cast boolits out of my glock and HK?

MikeD7
01-30-2013, 12:03 AM
No on the glock but I think you should be ok with the HK. Read the owners manual tho. I know Glock says not to. M&Ps say not to but I know plenty of people who do

mongoosesnipe
01-30-2013, 12:04 AM
hk and glock both use polygonal rifling so the answer is maybe slug the bores to get your required size and try it with a load of slower powder and check for leading every few shots and if you can get off a few hundred rounds with out your barrel leading then you have found your recipe just go slow and don't push it

wool1
01-30-2013, 12:07 AM
Guess I have been a poor caretaker of my firearms.....All my manuals say not to shoot reloads, only factory ammo.

gunboonie
01-30-2013, 12:14 AM
Still not sure guess DYODD is still in order

MikeD7
01-30-2013, 12:21 AM
Guess I have been a poor caretaker of my firearms.....All my manuals say not to shoot reloads, only factory ammo.

I'm sure that is a liability thing... You arent supposed to shoot lead thru a glock because the rifling can cause extreme leading and actually stop a bullet. I never said not to shoot reloads because of the owners manual, I said not to shoot lead...

The Black Pearl
01-30-2013, 12:34 AM
I shoot cast in my h&k and they shoot great, like said slug your barrel and properly size your Boolits take your time and it can be done well I can't speak on the block but my h&k love em

wool1
01-30-2013, 12:38 AM
MikeD7, I didn't mean to sound sarcastic. Sorry. I have experimented with different lubes but have had success. I own 2 different 10mm Glocks and a 40 S&W M&P, and a 9mm M&P. The hex rifling may be the culprit ....???. Have to say i have better luck with GC but PB work well by not standing on them as much.

Doby45
01-30-2013, 12:57 AM
Lead works fine in my Glock. Actually every Glock I have shot them in, G22, G35, G34, G19 etc...

Lloyd Smale
01-30-2013, 06:31 AM
Glocks recomendation is no handloads period not now cast. They do it because they dont have a supported chamber and if your dumb enough to push the envelope on your loads you can blow out the side of a case. Back off a grain or two from max listed loads and glocks run fine with handloads and a couple ive worked with have done better with cast for accuracy then jacketed. I load cast for 3 of my own glocks and have shot thousands of rounds through them without a bit of trouble or leading problems. As a matter of fact i bought a wolf barrel for my glock 20 because there suppose to be better with cast. Found the stock barrel outshoots the wolf barrel so it just sits now.

garym1a2
01-30-2013, 06:41 AM
Cast shots great out of my storm lake barrels for 9mm and 40s&w. My first try was lousey out of the glock 40, lots of leading and buldge cases. It was not worth the hassel to devoloe a lead load for it as storm lake barrels are beter anyway.
My glock 21sf is a lead shooting machine! I took the leeit out day after christmas with my brother and ran 650 rounds thru it of the lee 200swc. Barrel afterwards was cleaned by 5 passes with a brush.

Shiloh
01-30-2013, 03:00 PM
Never had an issue with the 9's, aftermarket barrel on the .40's

Recluse
01-30-2013, 05:21 PM
Still not sure guess DYODD is still in order

What the hell is DYODD?

As far not being sure, read the follow-up posts in both places you posted the same question and you'll have your answer.

:coffee:

Friends call me Pac
01-30-2013, 05:40 PM
I put a wolf barrel on my Glock 30 and it is shooting 230 gr lrn fine. have not tried lead in the original barrel.

Wolfer
01-30-2013, 07:47 PM
If you read thru the sticky ( Glocks and cast ) in the handgun section it appears to me that it works for most but certainly not all.

The Dove
01-30-2013, 07:55 PM
I too, Recluse, wonder what DYODD is/stands for??????

The Dove

HiVelocity
01-30-2013, 07:55 PM
FWIW, I agree with others, why take a chance, go check out both Lone Wolf and Storm Lake aftermarket barrels? I have 3 Glocks with aftermarket [Lone Wolf] barrels and have had nothing but great results with all 3. BTW, before all the shootings, Lone Wolf barrels were only running around $100 and are drop-in. They come with variable options like ported, and/or threaded too.

HV

The Dove
01-30-2013, 07:57 PM
(Do your own due dilligence???)

The Dove

OregonCaster
01-30-2013, 08:50 PM
I have but I changed out to a KKM barrel for better chamber support.

possom813
01-30-2013, 09:07 PM
DYODD

Do your own dang dirtywork :mrgreen:

Do you only dry dumplings?

Do you offer deep-fried donuts?

Do Yankees over dramatize daily

Diane, You old dirty diva

I could think of more, but physiology is calling...[smilie=1:

wrangler5
01-31-2013, 12:06 AM
This question comes up regularly on the Glock forums. Last time I read through one the general consensus was that lead was just fine AS LONG AS you clean the barrel routinely. Competition shooters report tens of thousands of lead bullets through their Glocks with nary a problem, but they clean their guns regularly.

The consensus also was that the "lead problem" is NOT with the rounded shape of the rifling lands in a stock Glock barrel, but with the folks who never clean their barrels. There are threads where people brag about how long they've gone without cleaning ("I haven't cleaned my Glock in 5 years." "I'm over 10,000 rounds without cleaning and still counting.") While that apparently is do-able with Glocks and jacketed bullets, THOSE shooters will not do well with lead bullets - in ANY gun, regardless of the style of rifling.

KYCaster
01-31-2013, 02:21 AM
Are we still using up bandwidth discussing this?

Glocks have been known to blow up when shooting lead.

Glocks have been known to blow up when shooting jacketed.

Some Glock barrels are so poorly machined that lead will accumulate very quickly in them.

Glocks will fire out of battery, some by a substantial amount; that, combined with a dirty chamber can be a problem.

Although Glock has never acknowledged ANY problem with their firearms, it appears that the Gen 4 guns are not nearly as susceptible to the OOB condition as previous models. :confused:

FDLFSG*

Jerry

* Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Glocks

MikeS
01-31-2013, 02:31 AM
There's no reason you can't shoot cast from a glock. Seems to me, if you can shoot cast from H&K's, Jericho's, and many other pistols that have polygonal rifling in their barrels, that there's no reason you couldn't shoot them from a Glock, IF you make sure they're properly sized to your bore. That means slugging the bore of your glock so you know what size the bore REALLY is. Of course the folks that make aftermarket barrels for glocks are going to tell you differently, they want you to buy their barrel. Of course there are other reasons to buy an aftermarket barrel (such as having a fully supported chamber), but you don't NEED to buy one to shoot cast. Of course if you're just more comfortable not shooting cast in your factory glock barrel, that's up to you, if you want to buy another barrel, you can use the cast argument as a reason to buy it. Bottom line, it's your gun, do whatever makes you feel more comfortable.

MaineJim
01-31-2013, 05:51 AM
I use cast exclusively in my 17,26,30 Glocks,no lead buildup whatsoever.The 9mm needs at least 15 bhn,can be driven to max velocity using unique and a bit slower with red dot.45acp works fine with 8-10 bhn with apropriate charge of unique and given enough trigger time the compact .45 is a target grade shooter.Been shooting cast in Glocks since they appeared in the 80s.