PDA

View Full Version : bullet size question

Muddydogs
01-29-2013, 11:27 PM
I just got a Lee 358-158-RF six hole mold. My first casting was interesting as I have never had to cast with a pot temp of 750 but that is what the mold liked. I also installed the NOE mold thermometer and found it interesting that the mold temp ran about 470. It took me a while to get the right temp and get rid of the wrinkles in the bullets. One point on the thermometer is to make sure the end sticking out of the mold will clear the mold handle nut. Let's just say my mold has 2 thermometer holes in it.

Ok on with the question. The mold is throwing 163 grain bullets which is about par for my casting, my 401 175 grain mold throws 180 grain bullets and my 430 mold throws them a little heavy to so I assume it's probably the WW lead I'm using. My main question is the 358 mold is giving me 360 to 362 diameter bullets, will these size down to 358 with no issues? My other molds produce bullets the size the mold says or maybe .001 bigger so I have never had a mold give me .004 larger bullets before.

Thanks guys.

01-29-2013, 11:55 PM
I pre-heat that mould to about 400-degrees, and the alloy to about 675-degrees. The first cast usually produces keepers. Thermometers vary, but your wrinkling may be due to the mould not being clean enough, and still retaining some of the machining oils.

My boolits run .360", and size to .358" with no down side. However, that lube groove is quite shallow and it may not be sufficient enough to withstand .004" of sizing, and still allow for proper lubing.

Larry Gibson
01-30-2013, 12:33 AM
Lube the bullets before sizing and they will size down fine. If using a lubrasizer you might try a .360 size bot to initially size/lube and to shoot in what ever?

Larry Gibson