PDA

View Full Version : Bolt won't close on go-guage

brotherdarrell
01-29-2013, 10:15 PM
I have been eye-balling a Mauser re-chambered to 30-06 at the LGS. From all appearances it has an after market barrel and stock. It actually looks very good and tasteful (can I say that here?). The one thing that has me wondering is that the bolt will not close on a go gauge. I will be taking some full length sized brass tomorrow to see if it will close on them. If it will am I good to go? It will be only for cast and maybe paper patch. Chamber and bore look very clean and crown looks perfect. Very blue. Price will be $200 - 225 w/ Weaver scope.

thanks for all ideas

brotherdarrell

tomme boy
01-29-2013, 10:22 PM
Are you sure it is a GO and NOT a Field or NO GO? If it is a GO gauge, you will need to get a finish reamer to finish it. You really need to take the whole bolt apart to check this. Have them strip the entire bolt. Depending on which Mauser it is, it actually might just be the extractor hitting the barrel.

The Yugo intermediate length actions are this way. They have a extractor cut on the face of the barrel. I have done a few of these and all I did was thin the face of the extractor.

fishhawk
01-29-2013, 10:24 PM
the probable reason is that the extractor is still on the bolt and it will not slip over the edge of the gauge same as it will not slip over a round dropped into the chamber the Mauser must strip a ctg. from the mag well for it to get the extractor over the rim.

knifemaker
01-29-2013, 10:28 PM
If it will not close on the "go" gage take it to a gunsmith and he can use a finish reamer and remove the few thousands it needs by just hand reaming the chamber. should not not cost over 40-50 bucks. sounds like someone put on a pre threaded short chamber barrel to replace the military barrel and did not hand ream the final few thousands to the correct chamber size. See if this problem will be a factor to reduce the cost of the gun in order to have the headspace corrected.

If the "go" gage rim is fitted to where it slips behind the extractor, you can get an accurate measurement of the chamber lenght. If you fail to fit the rim behind the extractor claw, you will not be able to get the "go" gage to allow you to close the bolt. Removal of the extractor is best, but really not needed if you slip the rim of the go gage up and behind the extractor claw.

brotherdarrell
01-30-2013, 08:56 PM
I thank you guys for the lesson on how to properly check the headspace on a Mauser. I slipped the go gauge under the extractor and the bolt snugged down just fine, and did not close on the no-go. It is now mine.

And this is what I found under the action, glass and pillars

The throat is a little long, but the barrel slugged @ .308/.300. This may work out all right.

Thanks again

brotherdarrell

Nobade
01-30-2013, 09:03 PM
Hey that looks like my Pro Bed 2000 epoxy! Since it looks like whoever bedded it knew what they were doing, it must be probed, right? Do you know who built it? I might know him. Nice looking rifle BTW - you'll have a good time with the PP shooting. Give me a call if you want a single shot follower for it. Saves the extractor from having to jump the rim when you single load it at the range.

brotherdarrell
01-30-2013, 09:32 PM
Nobade - how's the weather up north?

I have no idea who brought this rifle in, but there was definitely care taken with it. The pics are from my phone and are rather poor. Word is he was trying to create some space in the safe. He also brought in a Yugo mauser that was about 95%, and this:

I have tried for the last two weeks to convince myself I need a .303, but failed. It is purdy, and has a two groove barrel.

I checked the fit with some pp rcbs 165-sil sized @ .310", and the base of the boolit is right at the base of the neck. If they don't work it will be my fault.

brotherdarrell

Gtek
01-30-2013, 10:58 PM
"The throat is a little long"- what website is this? The work appears to be artistic (can I say that here?) and that level of work/stock I see would cost about as much as you are in it now or more not counting the steel parts. From the phone camera you did very well, enjoy! Gtek

TCLouis
01-30-2013, 11:53 PM
Pillars and bedding???

Barring something really bad, 200-225 bucks seems like you paid for stock and stock work. The threw in the barreled action and scope.

If you have the combo of ingredients, try Ranch Dog 165 grainer and WC 820 (M).

That looks like a gun that might just well do well on that diet!

David2011
01-31-2013, 12:40 AM
What a deal! It looks great. The bedding and checkering both look nice. Shoot and report, please. . .

David

Artful
01-31-2013, 12:47 AM
Very good looking rifle - what boolit do you intend to try in it?

brotherdarrell
01-31-2013, 10:51 PM
All right guys, I am one confused individual.

I just finished doing a chamber slug and put the mic on it. I mentioned it has a long throat, to the tune of .400" from the start of the throat to where the rifling first appears on the slug.

Now comes the confusing part. It would appear that the throat is polygonal.:veryconfu Now please bear with me as my "splainin" skills aint the best in the world. If I mic the throat area in line with where the rifling (low spots) are impressed into the slug I get a consistent .309" diameter. When I mic the throat in line with where the grooves are (high spots) on the slug I get a consistent .314". There are six lands and grooves, and I get the above measurements at each one. Measurements @ .55" from the start of the throat are .308"/.300". The lands are 'roughly' twice as wide and the grooves. The slug is not very good at the throat/chamber area but appears to be roughly .315"/.313" at each land and groove.

Please tell me I am not crazy and that there is a reason for this.

brotherdarrell

Nobade
02-01-2013, 08:44 AM
If the chamber is not also that shape, then someone used a throater on it after the chamber was cut. And the pilot on that throater was too small, letting it bounce around as it cut.

You may have discovered why you got such a good deal on the rifle, it may need to have the barrel set back to get it to shoot. A throat that long and large is going to cause problems.

243winxb
02-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Would seem like the throat is shot out? It can still shoot well. http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC_Drawings/Rifle/30-06%20Springfield.pdf