PDA

View Full Version : How much tin?

Orygun
07-18-2007, 11:23 PM
Yes, I've done the search, but not wanting to read hundreds of threads, I would just like to know how much tin to add to WW's for a good mold fillout.

Casting .45 ACP and using an RCBS 20# furnace. Seems to me it was like 4 oz. tin to 20# of WW's for a good mix.

The old processer just ain't like it used to be. :)

Opinions?

John Boy
07-18-2007, 11:32 PM
Clip-on wheel weights and stick-on weights should be separated when processing wheel weight into ingots. Clip-on wheel weights are an excellent bullet casting alloy with its percentages of lead/antimony and arsenic. 2% tin can be added for better dross control and thus mould fill out. This alloy runs 10-11 BHN air cooled and can be heat treated to 30+ BHN. Proper fitting bullets of 11 BHN in a properly dimensioned firearm are adequate for all but magnum handgun loads, water quenching or heat treating wheel weight alloy will easily extend its use to magnum loads. When processing wheel weights into ingots the melt temperature should not be much over 650o and keep a watchful eye for zinc weights.

http://www.lasc.us/

For 20# WW's that would be 6.4oz SB

chunkum
07-18-2007, 11:41 PM
one oz of tin to 2 #s of WW's gives a little better than 3% and generally works well for fill out for me. An oz to two and a half #'s is about 2.5%, and one oz to three #s is close to the magic 2% often cited as being the right figure. I like a little more.
Best regards,
chunkum

Bass Ackward
07-19-2007, 06:48 AM
Ory,

I would start with 2oz and see what happens. That should be sufficient to see the melt temperature drop below 500 degrees.

MT Gianni
07-19-2007, 09:38 AM
Let your mold tell you what your mix needs. If you get poor fill out add tin then. Gianni.