PDA

View Full Version : Melting Lino. Type

smokemjoe
07-18-2007, 05:44 PM
Stopped at a fea market and a dealer had 4 big wooden trays of lino type in large letter blocks. Said kids dont like to carry it around as of wt. He siad $10.00 or offer, I grabbed it for the 10 and got 60 lbs. Mleted it in dutch oven and when I took of the lid off there was 2 in. of foam like on top of the melt. With 2 big pieces of beeswax it mixed back in, What was that light wt. silver mix. Thanks- Smokemjoe

07-18-2007, 06:14 PM
if it was ind. letters it was not liontype it was montype. it will go twice as far as liontype in your mixing. do not nkow what the foam was,

9.3X62AL
07-18-2007, 07:24 PM
I see this same "foamy" aspect when I blend foundry type with WW 1/6 to get Taracorp alloy. I get it real hot--850+, and keep it that hot for 10-12 minutes. Flux. Most of the foam mixes back in. A second fluxing 5 minutes later gets the rest of the foam. I then turn down the heat to 675 and start casting a few minutes later--the higher alloy temp warms the blocks nicely, and usually the third or fourth pour makes keepers.

garandsrus
07-19-2007, 11:07 AM
smokemjoe,

I have experienced the same foamy mixture... I think of it as a "slush".

I don't know if it is the tin or antimony or a mixture of both. If you add heat and flux it will go back into solution as other folks have said. You certainly don't want to skim it off at it's the "good stuff" in the mix.

John