PDA

View Full Version : Gun clone Question

cloakndagger
01-28-2013, 05:19 PM
I know this is not a "gun" forum, but since I may be shooting cast only out of the revolver in question I figured I'd ask here.

Local pawn shop I deal with has a taurus revolver for $250 in box w 2 sets of grips, one mother of pearl, one walnut.
I dont remember the exact model number, but in my hand it seems to be a copy of the S&w mod. 10 my grandfather had. I know there are rumors floating about that taurus has cloned many s&w designs, is this true? I may treat myself t it since I had a budget surplus last month, is it worth my time (it will be used as a stress reliever, I have a s&w 357 mag for other duties.)?

HATCH
01-28-2013, 05:20 PM
Twenty five dollars??? buy it

cloakndagger
01-28-2013, 05:30 PM
Whoops!! major typo, $250 lol

x101airborne
01-28-2013, 05:34 PM
I will give an honest opinion after owning many,
No. Pass on it.
You will have a much better weapon if you wait and spen the same or slightly more money on a used Smith. Even a well used smith will by far outlast the Taurus.

mpmarty
01-28-2013, 06:23 PM
Good pistol. Probably a model 85 which is truly a S&W as when Bangor Punta owned S&W they built a factory in Brazil and that factory is now Taurus. Same equipment and machinery just different name and a better warranty too.

cloakndagger
01-28-2013, 06:58 PM
Well I rode by to check the mod. Number, and it was gone......
So, I asked the clerk....

He refered me to the owner, a friend of mine.

He said it had been put on layaway but I had something waiting in his safe.

So, after disappearing into the back office for a few minutes, he presents me with.......

Suspense getting you yet?....

A s&w mod 28-2 "Highway Patrolman" in 357.... at an amazing (at cost) price.

So, it came home with me...
I'm still looking for that model 10 lol, after my budget allows.

Thanks for the info guys

Artful
01-29-2013, 01:55 AM
Wow - now that's a friend indeed

cloakndagger
01-29-2013, 08:39 AM
Never underestimate the power of a good bottle of single malt and a box of cigars for christmas ;)

Bonz
01-29-2013, 08:48 AM
Some Taurus replacement parts are difficult to find.

DLCTEX
01-29-2013, 09:55 AM
I have had no problems getting the replacement parts for the two Tarus pistols I have needed them for. Admittedly this has only been crane retention screws, but Tarus supplied them with no problems. This was a model 85 in 38 Spc. and a Raging Bull in 480 Ruger.The screws simply weren't tightened enough and I never had checked them. All my Tarus guns have worked flawlessly with the exception of the Raging Hornet which backs out the brass enough to drag on the recoil shield with hot loads. This problem is common to any revolver with bottle necked cases.

captaint
01-29-2013, 10:37 AM
Well, with the Smith & Wesson mod 28, you have one very fine revolver right there. Now go ahead and try to wear that one out. You're about to have a lot of great shooting. Congrats. enjoy Mike

HATCH
01-29-2013, 10:41 AM
You bought 10 times the gun compared to the one you looked at.
I have owned two and still have one.
its the best shooting gun i got and I own about 14 or 15 smith revolvers.

cloakndagger
01-29-2013, 02:02 PM
well I loaded her up this morning and poped a possum out in the yard, gotta say.... its heavy duty.... very....heavy......duty...

Artful
01-29-2013, 10:48 PM
28 was the inexpensive version of 27, but just as good - and if you study them you'll find two finish level's one's a little rougher (lot of those out there) the other is almost up to 27's finish level's - not near as many of those seen. It's a great gun.