PDA

View Full Version : Bohica

redneckdan
07-18-2007, 02:35 PM
yup, was workin hard, mindin my own buisness when a long chip off the end grooving tool reached down into the chip bin and wraped a freakin brillo pad around my tool piece. Took the coolant hose right out of the fitting, beat me with the hose and had a coolant gyser coming out of the carriage. there goes a half hour with the wire cutters to get the damn hose out.:roll:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/redneckdan/DSC_0085.jpg

45nut
07-18-2007, 02:40 PM
ouch!

fatnhappy
07-18-2007, 02:55 PM
there are times when walking away from a machine with all your body parts is a very good day.

any machine.

:coffee:

MT Gianni
07-18-2007, 06:24 PM
Being able to count to 10 on your fingers is a good thing. Gianni

ovendoctor
07-18-2007, 10:14 PM
Dans grandpa [my dad] told me about a time he was out fighting a brush fire with a dodge power wagon [fire truck], they found the end of a barb wire fence with the drive shaft
they came to a grinding halt,had it wound tight to the frame[smilie=1:

glad your ok,hope this isn't part of the engineering course at MTU:mrgreen:

:castmine: :redneck:

PS. E stop buttons are wonderfull things

Buckshot
07-19-2007, 02:31 AM
............HA! I bought a new fan for the shop. One of those on a chrome thinwall pipe that goes into a base. They never make the pipe long enough, it seems to me. I was putting the base together and checked the pipe that came with it and it was like .875". I checked a piece of 1/2" galv pipe I had and it was .845". Heck, I'll just cut the waterpipe and use it. Then I can get some height to this thing.

Well to cut to the chase, the pipe goes through collet fingers with a cap to tighten and hold it in place. The end of the pipe (inside the base) had a plastic flange to keep it centered. I didn't have any plastic, but I did have some aluminum that was 2" OD and needed to be 1.450"OD and with a neck turned down to go up inside the galvanized pipe aways.

I cut off a 2" long piece in the bandsaw and chucked it up in a little 5" 3 jaw on a 5C collet back. Since the necked down part needed to be about 5/8" I didn't want to spend all day at it. I dialed in for a .125" DOC and had the QC box at .0072" IPR. The lathe was set at 600 rpm so I left it there. I engaged the clutch and the aluminum came off in a nice wide swath across the top of the bit, hit the toolpost and bent back around into the chuckjaws. They were only about 1.5" away :-)

Those jaws were whacking off pieces and wads of aluminum and slinging them all over. I was so surprized about getting pelted with hot bits of metal I almost fell to the floor. I had not quite an inch of travel and at 600 rpm that only took 10 seconds or so. I got my crap in one bag right quick and stood off to the right. I see your lathe has a chuckguard. Mine doesn't :-(. I had pieces of aluminum stuck to the front of my shirt, in the shirt pocket, in my hair and all over the workbench.

After 3 passes I wised up and took a piece of cardboard with one end in the chip pan and the other end bent around over the chuck. I could hold it with my left hand and operate the clutch with my right.

When I first got my knurling setup I had read about a guy who said he used a chip brush to apply the oil, and by wipeing it would also remove the little tiny bits of metal. Right! [smilie=b:

My first attempt worked pretty well for a few seconds. That is, until the knurl grabbed the brush and dragged it through. Gave the brush a dandy haircut and really didn't do anything positive for the knurling job either!

...............Buckshot

redneckdan
07-19-2007, 10:09 AM
usually I don't use the chuck guard. the left side door is brought over to the right until its about a foot past the chuck, then I overlap the CNC controler over the door a good couple inches. I can still see over the control but I'm pretty well guarded...usually. This time the CNC controller and the door were about 3 inches apart, just enough for that hose to come whiping about. You can't see is in this picture but theres another foot and a half of hose that came off of the hose wound into the rats nest and landed behind the machine. The machine was spinning at 2200rpm It was bout like tryin to dodge a 2 foot radius weed wacker head.:roll: