PDA

View Full Version : Schuetzen vs Swiss

Mike.44
01-27-2013, 03:35 AM
I was wondering which powder you think is best. I see the Schuetzen is $14 and Swiss is $22.50. This will be mainly FFG for PRB musket shooting. I like to practice with what I hunt with. I see Goex talked about quite a bit, as well as the ones I mentioned. Just would like some opinions. I will be ordering some powder pretty quick and wanted to see what you thought. I did a search here and mostly saw posts from from the BP cartridge shooters.

wgr
01-27-2013, 04:21 AM
I was wondering which powder you think is best. I see the Schuetzen is $14 and Swiss is $22.50. This will be mainly FFG for PRB musket shooting. I like to practice with what I hunt with. I see Goex talked about quite a bit, as well as the ones I mentioned. Just would like some opinions. I will be ordering some powder pretty quick and wanted to see what you thought. I did a search here and mostly saw posts from from the BP cartridge shooters.
schuetzn is very good powder i shoot alot of it not much different than goex. swiss is good too but cost far more and is a little hotter i think. but any of the 3 will do you good after you work up a load.

Mike.44
01-27-2013, 04:30 AM
Thanks, WGR. Just want to do right....lol.

Czech_too
01-27-2013, 07:01 AM
I've never used the Swiss, but I switched from Goex to the Schuetzen due to cost and availability. I found that I could use 5 grains less w/the Schuetzen vs. Goex and still get the same POI. This was using a T/C Cherokee .32

Boerrancher
01-27-2013, 11:07 AM
In my NW trade gun, I get my best accuracy with Graf's Wano powder, which I have been told is Shuetzen powder. I have never tried Swiss, but I do shoot a great deal of Wano and Goex. I must say that the Wano burns cleaner and is as accurate or more accurate in all 4 of my ML's from the 20ga trade gun down to the 32cal squirrel rifle. I hope this helps some.

Best wishes,

Joe

fouronesix
01-27-2013, 11:33 AM
Unless you have another source or a local retail source I'd get the order in. Graf is weeks behind and out of most BP, I'd look and act sooner rather than later. Powder Inc. still has good supply of most types. Schuetzen seems to work well in everything I've tried it in. I can't tell the accuracy difference with any of major brands but do notice differences in the softness of fouling. The Graf Wano (Schuetzen) works well also but hard to find right now.

Hanshi
01-27-2013, 05:08 PM
I've been using Goes for years with complete satisfaction. But the last time I ordered powder I ordered Jacks Battle Powder which is made by Goex yet is less costly than the Goex brand. So far it has performed admirably.

Mike.44
01-27-2013, 10:56 PM
I went ahead and ordered 3 cans each of Schuetzen and Swiss FFG to see which shoots best.

LeadBrain
01-28-2013, 11:44 PM
I would be interested to hear about your findings after you try them both.

Mike.44
01-30-2013, 11:47 PM
No problem. Will do.

bob208
01-31-2013, 06:36 PM
i use goex. mainly because i live about 20 mi. form a goex dealer. i call him and 2 days later go pick up a 25 lb. keg. which is a big plastic bag in a cardboard box. bring it nome and fill my cans.

Hednign
02-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Over here in Norway there is only two powders available. Swiss and Wano. Swiss is nearly 20% hotter than Wano. Swiss produce less fouling, but harder fouling. I have read that some of the Australian bpcr shooters makes a kind of black powder duplex load to speed up the Wano. Some says that they have achieved even higher mv than swiss that way. I think the "primer" powder is called A7 Wano. Not sure. Maybe some of the Australians can enlighten us....

iron brigade
02-02-2013, 05:59 PM
I use kik 3fffg. it is made with the same alder charcoal that swiss is made with. gives higher velocity than goex and is alot cleaner burning. cheaper too!

Mike Brooks
02-02-2013, 08:33 PM
I use kik 3fffg. it is made with the same alder charcoal that swiss is made with. gives higher velocity than goex and is alot cleaner burning. cheaper too!
Soft fouling too.

John Boy
02-02-2013, 09:03 PM
Gents, I am a BPCR shooter and analyze all the black powder I shoot for density, sieve ratio and fouling - not to mention the velocity over the chronograph. The powder of choice now is the 2010 shipment of KIK which is equal in density, fouling control and velocity to Swiss but the foul is not hard. Here's proof ...
http://www.schuetzenpowder.com/forum/index.php?topic=107.0

Plus the price 'is right' - Powder Inc is the vendor in the US

iron brigade
02-03-2013, 09:09 AM
Gents, I am a BPCR shooter and analyze all the black powder I shoot for density, sieve ratio and fouling - not to mention the velocity over the chronograph. The powder of choice now is the 2010 shipment of KIK which is equal in density, fouling control and velocity to Swiss but the foul is not hard. Here's proof ...
http://www.schuetzenpowder.com/forum/index.php?topic=107.0

Plus the price 'is right' - Powder Inc is the vendor in the US

one thing we noticed for sure is that our barrel's are much easier to clean.

Rattus58
02-03-2013, 03:00 PM
I've never used the Swiss, but I switched from Goex to the Schuetzen due to cost and availability. I found that I could use 5 grains less w/the Schuetzen vs. Goex and still get the same POI. This was using a T/C Cherokee .32Shuetzen is a powder that one of my acquaintences of whom I respect tremendously, swears by religiously. 5 grains in a 32 is HUGE! Goes to show... :-)

Mike.44
02-04-2013, 09:27 AM
Sounds like I ordered some good stuff. Just waiting for my minies to arrive.