PDA

View Full Version : Denver has a bunny problem

starmac
01-27-2013, 01:24 AM
All you wabbit hunters are needed in denver.

velers have a warning for drivers who park their cars near Denver International Airport (DIA). Rabbits are chewing the wires under many cars costing owners a lot of money. The rabbits get in and chew the brake lines, the clutch lines and other wiring. Local car repair shops estimates they can do thousands of dollars in damage.

“When I had the trouble with the oil light coming on, the dealer told me the wires that controlled the air conditioning were chewed,” said Ken Blum, one car owner who knows all about the not so funny bunny business at DIA.

Blum has had to have repairs done on his car twice due to rabbit damage and he estimates the cost at approximately $700.

“I saw no signs…nothing to tell me, ‘Hey, beware’,” Blum told CBS4. “My insurance didn’t cover it, the manufacturer didn’t cover it.”

This isn’t a new problem at the airport. CBS4 first started covering hungry hares in 1999. They were munching on the wires of de-icing equipment. Now it seems they’ve moved to the outlying parking lots.

CBS4 contacted airport officials about the problem. They said that only a small percentage of the people who park out there ever complain of rabbit caused car problems. They also told CBS4 that United States Department of Agriculture Wildlife Services agents patrol the parking lots and remove rabbits when they see them.
(credit: CBS)

(credit: CBS)

Hungry hares are not just a problem at DIA, other private parking lots are having trouble too. Lot owners tell CBS4 that they’re trying to deter the rabbits with extra fencing and coyote urine.

41 mag fan
01-27-2013, 02:20 AM
Looks like they need to hire some Elmer Fudds to get them wasckally wabbits

JeffinNZ
01-27-2013, 05:24 AM
Looks like you need our member 'Euan'.

Charlie Two Tracks
01-27-2013, 09:45 AM
I just got up and the first thing I thought of was fried rabbit. Dang but I like that. Not too many rabbits around here anymore. The Coyotes have taken care of the rabbits and pheasants.

bob208
01-27-2013, 10:06 AM
groundhogs like car wiring and the plastic gas can lids. even had one chew a hole in a gas can. squirrels will do a job on wires too.

Freightman
01-27-2013, 10:11 AM
Send in hogs they have devastated the rabbits here also quail, anything that nest or raises on the ground gets eaten, of course then you have a hog problem! I would hate to step in a hole and break my leg, I think they would eat you before the medics arrived. Send you a few!:-D
I have the same problem but with non native squirrels that were brought here by some good meaning people years ago.

41 mag fan
01-27-2013, 10:22 AM
groundhogs like car wiring and the plastic gas can lids. even had one chew a hole in a gas can. squirrels will do a job on wires too.

I've got a squirrel..must be the same one, who likes to hide Walnuts in the frame of my truck. Last 2 years I've run him out from underneath it, I watch him come down the tree, get a nut off the ground...and head straight for my truck

reloader28
01-27-2013, 10:44 AM
I had small drip water line ran to several trees when we where building our house. Twice a week, every week when we would water the trees we would have to fix 4 or 5 holes in the line.
Figured out it was rabbits. They could smell the water setting in the low spots of the line and were chewing thru to get a drink.
I made an 1 1/2" high pan from the bottom of a 5gal bucket and stuck it under a slow drip. Every time we watered it took about 3 hours to slowly fill and and would last til the next time we watered.
That was the very last time we had a problem with rabbits chewing up the drip line.

DLCTEX
01-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Coyote urine does not repel rabbits. When trapping I was amazed at rabbits being attracted to it. Cows also came to it and would mill around the set and trip the traps.

cbrick
01-27-2013, 01:20 PM
Squirrels also love to chew on plastic. I had squirrels chew up my plastic patio cushion covers, replaced them and they did it again. They no longer have an appetite for plastic, in fact they no longer have an appetite at all. :mrgreen:

Rick

popper
01-27-2013, 03:18 PM
Dallas has the wabbit problem also, don't need to mow the grass, but they won't eat the weeds. Can't do anything but snare them due to local laws and bunny lovers. The hawks do clean up the road kill pretty well.