PDA

View Full Version : I been practicing

miner49r
01-26-2013, 08:51 PM
I have read and learned a lot from the wealth of knowledge in this forum. But no matter how much you read there is no better teacher than experience. That being said, I been practicing.

I have three Lyman molds. 2-398091 .38 cal. 150gr WC amd 1-452460 .45 cal. 200gr SWC.

The first few sessions were a complete waste of time. I made every rookie mistake in the book. (alloy too hot, alloy too cold, mold too cold, mold too hot, etc...) Good thing about this is you just toss everything back in the pot.

Had read in several threads that a hot plate is really helpful to pre-heat the mold so I bought one. EUREKA! Casting with the 200gr. SWC netted 148 bullets ranging from 204gr-208gr of which 93% were in the 205-207gr range. Not perfect, but showing improvement. My technique varried from pressure casting to about an inch below the spigot and I didn't have a rythm till near the end of the session. This is when I noticed the heavier bullets had what appeared to be an "x" on the nose. Examining the mold proved there is a scribed line across the nose in the front cavity. (OK Dad, Why did you do that?) Calipers don't lie. The bullets from the "x" cavity are .002" longer and out of round nearly .004". I will refer to each cavity as "x" as the front and "o" as the rear" from here on.

Next session netted 238 bullets of which 45% were 207gr from "x", 41% were 205gr from "o". From the previous session I had found that pressure casting worked the best for this mold. I devloped a good rythm by cutting the sprue when the puddle stopped wiggling, drop, close, pour, repeat. I figure if both cavities were identicle it would have been an 86%+ success.

Todays cast was nearly identicle to the last. 40% at 205gr from "x" and 44% at 207gr from "o".

"OK Dad. Did you try lapping the front cavity?" No answer from the heavens. If I were casting for Bullseye I would have to decide which I would use for competition and use the rest for practice.

The alloy temps ranged from 650-750 and the CWW alloy bullets dropped bright from the mold and frosted within a minute. I think the mold might still be too hot and the bullets could be a little less frosted.

Cherokee
01-26-2013, 08:57 PM
Nothing like practice to improve your skill, and learn what works for the different molds, and best casting temp, and.......well it goes on. Have fun. For less than serious target work, I would mix all the 452460's because I can't shoot that good any more to tell the difference. 2 gr isn't much for pistol work.

**oneshot**
01-26-2013, 09:02 PM
Your well on your way. Learning from your mold is the best teacher of all. I have notes for all my molds like a reloading manual posted at my casting pot.

This one likes this and that one likes that to include the temp and humidity when casted since some act different when the weather gets loopy. This way when I sit down to cast I just reference the mold and good boolits start flying fast.

miner49r
01-26-2013, 09:21 PM
Thx for the encouragement,
It has been education... and a whole lot of fun. I tried some photos to catch the difference between thes past few casts (right) and some nicer looking specimens poured last week (left). You can see some "x"s in the group on the left. Dad used #2 alloy and from the few slamples he left behind look cold drawn and really bright.

SciFiJim
01-27-2013, 01:36 AM
Noticing the "x" on the nose and learning the difference is a message from your dad. A very special connection! It looks like he; like you; spent time to get things right.

runfiverun
01-27-2013, 03:01 AM
keep reading around here and you'll figure out how to get the smaller cavity the same as the bigger one.

miner49r
01-27-2013, 10:58 AM
Jim,
He was meticulous about everything. He was an engineer ("not a train driver") but I am a better machinist.
Was the "x" a notation for himself or a secret message to the next owner of the mold? In this instance probably both. There are binders, logbooks, and file folders but sometimes you have to get in his head and think like him. Then everything is crystal clear.

miner49r
01-27-2013, 11:09 AM
runner,
Already have. I have been lurking here for months.
A boring bar or custom D-bit would probably be best but lapping (lee-menting) would suffice.

1Shirt
01-27-2013, 11:17 AM
Hang tough guy, it will happen with practice!!!!
1Shirt!

blackthorn
01-27-2013, 12:37 PM
It is likely your Dad was marking the bullets to be able to separate them into two piles specific to which cavity they came from.

captaint
01-27-2013, 12:45 PM
blackthorn - agreed. Dad wanted to know immediately, which boolit was bigger then the rest. Good job, Dad. Now your Son knows too. Mike

miner49r
01-28-2013, 10:23 PM
I think you guys are right. The x was more for him but it made me raise an eyebrow.

Cast another batch tonight. Kept a better watch on the thermometer and only cast between 625-700deg. remelted the sprews when the temp dropped and kept the mold on the hotplate. Every single bullet was filled out with about the same percentages for weights except there were twice as many weighing 208gr. Luck of the draw?

Hey. Whats the secret to perfect sprew cuts? My cuts are flush with a slight caviity. The olde mans are dimples.

runfiverun
01-29-2013, 01:35 AM
either wait longer to cut them, so the plate cuts the harder lead [whack with a stick]
or open them just before the lead hardens enough to tear,you'll be on the verge of smearing the lead across the mold.

miner49r
01-29-2013, 05:08 PM
I'll give that a try RFR. From my observation the longer I wait to drop the bullets the more difficult it is to drop them.

Is the cavity (tear) in the base detrimental?

runfiverun
01-29-2013, 08:39 PM
nope...
it might make them weigh a couple of tenths different.
but even 5 whole grains over 200 grs is 2.5% variation.
i'd never see it on target.