PDA

View Full Version : 1895 winchester src carbine in 30-40 krag

Frank46
07-17-2007, 04:15 AM
Just received a winchester 1895 saddle ring carbine in 30 U.S.Have spent the last two days cleaning and scrubbing the barrel, after the last scrubbing with JB Bore Brite she looks way better than when first I got it. She doens't have the bbl mounted leaf sight. Instead someone removed it and installed a redfield semi buckhorn sight.I looked at buffalo arms rendition of the lyman model 38 which would have to have another hole drilled and tapped. Plus it costs $250 bucks. Been thinking about having the gunsmith mill an origional lyman steel 57 so's it could be installed at the back of the receiver. But if anyone know of a flatsided receiver sight that could be used instead I'b be all ears. Did lyman ever make a flatside 48 for the winchester 1895. Have had the bbl soaking with hoppe's and any green gets another treatment with a bore brushwith a wrapped around patch with Iosso to remove any copper fouling. So any suggestions, comments are very much welcome. Frank

JDL
07-17-2007, 03:17 PM
Frank, the only Lyman sights that I'm aware of that will fit the 1895 Win. is the 21, 38, and 41. I don't think the 48 was ever offered for the '95. Williams use to list the FP-95 for the 1895 Winchester. HTH -JDL

Frank46
07-19-2007, 12:53 AM
JDL, saw the 1895 sight that Buffalo Arms sells, $250.00. Same guy that makes the Parts Unknown tang sights. Looks nice, but the price is a killer. I have a couple
steel lyman sights that with a little work could be made to work. Thanks, Frank

Wayne Smith
07-24-2007, 01:21 PM
I spent the bucks, got the Buffalo Arms sight, would do it again. But I need to find a higher front sight now because the factory loads are about 6" high at 100 yds! This is with the sight bottomed out.

Pepe Ray
07-24-2007, 07:03 PM
Frank46; Look up recent posts by STP.
He had FS (among other things) 2 old Redfirld receiver sights. They were originally made for a flat sided shot gun rcve. I was interested cause I figured they may work on some of my Wins, I've no doubt that they would have mounted but the windage deck was too long for me. Maybe not for the Krag.
Check it out.
Pepe Ray

Frank46
07-25-2007, 02:10 AM
Wayne, where did the rear screw hole end up being drilled and tapped? Since buffalo arms mentions that these sights were origionally for the origional 1895's and I'm guessing that the front screw is where the pin is removed from the bolt to separate the lever assembly from the bolt. I have mine completely disassembled to clean the various parts. Frank

Frank46
07-25-2007, 02:13 AM
Pepe Ray, I have an old redfield that needs to have a flat milled on it so it can be installed on the 1895. Won't fit anything I currently have. I tried it on the receiver and it looks like I should have plenty of windage in either direction. Thanks, Frank