PDA

View Full Version : Hows our new software going?

Gunload Master
01-26-2013, 03:40 PM
I just wanted to ask the question. Since we upgraded our software I had been working daily on fixing issues related to the software and getting things setup back to "normal". Just wanted to get some feedback from the membership. Hows the new software? Do you still see issues with bugs or things not working correctly or looking correctly? How do you like the improvements? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks

01-26-2013, 03:54 PM
I've not experienced any problems, and the gray theme is easy on the eyes.

geargnasher
01-26-2013, 04:34 PM
Mostly no problems, you guys have it cleaned up and working really well, very happy here. There are just a couple of oddities, no big deal: There's a big lag just after midnight every night, lasts until about 12:04 AM or so, never noticed it before, probably nothing to be done about it if it's a backup time or something.

On the page "link to us", there's a "buddy list" on the left with one or two members's handles there. When I click on it, it takes me to a blank white page whose address has something about "edit list" at the end. What's that about?

Is there a way to hide the "style" under my post count? Some people have it, some don't, I'd like it to go away on mine but can't find an editing setting for it.

One more thing, if I click to view a thread in which I've previously posted, sometimes it takes me to the very first post, sometimes to the first unread post just by clicking on the thread header to view. Is there a way to shortcut to first unread every time? I see the shortcut icon for opening the thread at the last post, is there a setting I can use to change that icon to first unread?

Gear

PbHurler
01-26-2013, 04:55 PM
I'm pretty green when it comes to computers, but I'm able to see & do what I'd like to do here. No real issues since the very beginning of the last (in progress) server updating. Thanks for all the hard work that goes into the updating & maintenance of the forums!

Recluse
01-26-2013, 05:07 PM
Willy,

Everything is working muy bueno for me and our Apple household. Am definitely enjoying the increased speed and glitch-free operations as well as some of the newer boards/forums you've added to the Gunloads family.

:coffee:

lylejb
01-26-2013, 05:39 PM
so far, so good.

The only thing I run into is I can't find "threads started by me"

There used to be a links inside my profile page, for threads I started, and threads I replied to. I can't find them anymore. Maybe they moved?

possom813
01-26-2013, 05:59 PM
It's working well, for the most part.

I haven't had any glitches with the forum, except it slows down on loading up in the wee hours of the morning. Nothing too detrimental though, just a few extra seconds to load the pages for a few minutes.

The chatroom, before the java issues popped up, it would take me two or three logins before everything loaded properly and was functional.

I've only logged in a handful of times since the java threat, and it's loaded up each time properly.

Catshooter
01-26-2013, 06:02 PM
This site for me anyway has always been the most trouble free of any on the web. Thank you.

I could make one suggestion: on the main page, when I click on a forum if the forum title would make a change to show it's been clicked it would help. Now the title goes grey when my cursor is on it and doesn't change from that when I click it. If it did that would let me know that the click occured. My touch pad doesn't always work as well as it should.

Thanks.

Cat

Houndog
01-26-2013, 06:14 PM
I like the new format better and the grey background works fine, BUT of the 3 computers in my home and shop two in the house are running the grey background and the one in the shop is dark blue. Can anyone tell a half senile old hillbilly how to fix the odd one? Computers ain't one of my strong suits!

tomme boy
01-26-2013, 06:22 PM
The TRACK feature in the PM section does not work. Other than that, I like it.

rhadamanthos12
01-27-2013, 12:35 AM
liking it so far, the user pane in the top right still covers a bit of the vendor bar (ads) at the top. Besides that issue everything seems to appear fine (at least to a lurker).

RoyEllis
01-27-2013, 01:16 AM
Works great for me but then I'm not much of a "techie guy" either lol!

Greg
01-27-2013, 01:45 PM
Willy,

My only complaint

I sign up for daily email updates on threads of interest

When I click on the individual post it just opens at the top of the pertinent page, not the indicated post.

a small hassle is all.

Finster101
01-27-2013, 01:52 PM
My laptop will not save my preferences. Each day when I check the site at work I have to sign in and then select the CB custom setting. I don't know if it's the machine or the site but I did not have the problem before. Where do I get the software to activate the spell checker? It is not working for me. I love the site, but I do not think it is as easy to navigate as it was.

James

mooman76
01-27-2013, 02:53 PM
The only thing I've noticed and not a big thing, When I receive a PM and the box pops up and I click ok, the pm doesn't come up. Not a big deal as I say and I can still click on PMs and then it comes up. Funny thing is it used to be that way a long time ago and then if just stopped or self corrected some how.

Bill*
01-27-2013, 03:32 PM
I haven't had a single problem....Thanks
(Win xp sp3 w/I.E.8)

Gunload Master
01-27-2013, 05:55 PM
Mostly no problems, you guys have it cleaned up and working really well, very happy here. There are just a couple of oddities, no big deal: There's a big lag just after midnight every night, lasts until about 12:04 AM or so, never noticed it before, probably nothing to be done about it if it's a backup time or something.

On the page "link to us", there's a "buddy list" on the left with one or two members's handles there. When I click on it, it takes me to a blank white page whose address has something about "edit list" at the end. What's that about?

Is there a way to hide the "style" under my post count? Some people have it, some don't, I'd like it to go away on mine but can't find an editing setting for it.

One more thing, if I click to view a thread in which I've previously posted, sometimes it takes me to the very first post, sometimes to the first unread post just by clicking on the thread header to view. Is there a way to shortcut to first unread every time? I see the shortcut icon for opening the thread at the last post, is there a setting I can use to change that icon to first unread?

Gear
Daily backups are scheduled at night so if you come over at the wrong time it may be a bit slow.
Style is now removed from under Avatar.
Just depends on which link you click, some links take you to the last post, some take you to the first post, etc. Just have to figure out which ones do which.

so far, so good.

The only thing I run into is I can't find "threads started by me"

There used to be a links inside my profile page, for threads I started, and threads I replied to. I can't find them anymore. Maybe they moved?

Click your name, then click profile. On the left hand side are some links, the bottom one is "Threads started by me". Click that.

It's working well, for the most part.

I haven't had any glitches with the forum, except it slows down on loading up in the wee hours of the morning. Nothing too detrimental though, just a few extra seconds to load the pages for a few minutes.

The chatroom, before the java issues popped up, it would take me two or three logins before everything loaded properly and was functional.

I've only logged in a handful of times since the java threat, and it's loaded up each time properly.
Daily backups at night.
Always good to keep Java updated :)

This site for me anyway has always been the most trouble free of any on the web. Thank you.

I could make one suggestion: on the main page, when I click on a forum if the forum title would make a change to show it's been clicked it would help. Now the title goes grey when my cursor is on it and doesn't change from that when I click it. If it did that would let me know that the click occured. My touch pad doesn't always work as well as it should.

Thanks.

Cat
I'm assuming this is a Tablet or Phone question? Sometimes that happens on those, just have to click it again.

I like the new format better and the grey background works fine, BUT of the 3 computers in my home and shop two in the house are running the grey background and the one in the shop is dark blue. Can anyone tell a half senile old hillbilly how to fix the odd one? Computers ain't one of my strong suits!
If you login to your account, go under your User Control Panel, you can set which Default theme you want so whereever you login at it will keep that theme.

The TRACK feature in the PM section does not work. Other than that, I like it.
That feature should actually be disabled... I will look into it.

My laptop will not save my preferences. Each day when I check the site at work I have to sign in and then select the CB custom setting. I don't know if it's the machine or the site but I did not have the problem before. Where do I get the software to activate the spell checker? It is not working for me. I love the site, but I do not think it is as easy to navigate as it was.

James
Make sure to login to your User CP and select which theme is default when you login to your account. If your using Internet explorer you can get a spell checker form http://www.iespell.com

The only thing I've noticed and not a big thing, When I receive a PM and the box pops up and I click ok, the pm doesn't come up. Not a big deal as I say and I can still click on PMs and then it comes up. Funny thing is it used to be that way a long time ago and then if just stopped or self corrected some how.
Usually you just click OK and then Cancel and it will bring up your list of PM's.

geargnasher
01-27-2013, 07:31 PM
Many thanks, Willy.

Gear

Alan in Vermont
01-27-2013, 09:24 PM
I gave up trying to put pics in my posts about three weeks ago. I've never had problems with the older VBulletin packages but can't seem to figure out the proper set of my mouth to make it work since the upgrade. I don't think anything changed in my computer since the upgrade but that is possible.

williamwaco
01-27-2013, 09:40 PM
There is only one thing I don't like about the new system.

Under the old system, I could go to my account and pull up all the threads I had posted and link to my posts and to any responses.

I can still do something similar the the list is no longer filtered to just my posts. It includes all my posts and all those posted by my friends. Is there any way to see a list of only my postings.

Gunload Master
01-27-2013, 10:20 PM
I gave up trying to put pics in my posts about three weeks ago. I've never had problems with the older VBulletin packages but can't seem to figure out the proper set of my mouth to make it work since the upgrade. I don't think anything changed in my computer since the upgrade but that is possible.
Alan, if you go into your user cp under general settings. At the bottom will be enhanced upload feature. Turn that off and see if that is eaiser to use. Just an fyi for members, there are lots of options in your user control panel that setup how you view this place. Feel free to go in there and play with the settings.

Gunload Master
01-27-2013, 10:21 PM
There is only one thing I don't like about the new system.

Under the old system, I could go to my account and pull up all the threads I had posted and link to my posts and to any responses.

I can still do something similar the the list is no longer filtered to just my posts. It includes all my posts and all those posted by my friends. Is there any way to see a list of only my postings.
William, if you click your name and click view profile. You should have those options on the left?

btroj
01-27-2013, 11:47 PM
I had forgotten it even changed. I suppose that means all is well.

TXGunNut
01-28-2013, 12:48 AM
Great! Thanks for all the hard work! Some bugs will need to be worked out but that's the nature of the beast.

slim1836
01-28-2013, 06:21 AM
I have to log in almost every time. Does not "remember me".

Slim

cbrick
01-28-2013, 09:28 AM
Only a couple of things and nothing that I can't work around. One is that as I type a post and look back at what I had just typed there are sentences repeated & parts of the next sentence not there and it reads really strange. If I click "preview post" all is well or if I post reply all is well. I thought maybe it was this stupid windows 8 but if I use the laptop with windows 7 it does the same. It's not all the time, just often enough to be annoying. Hhmmm . . . It's doing this typing this thread.

The other thing is that with the email notifications clicking on "this post is located at" will take me to the correct thread but sometimes not the correct page, usually to page one of a multi page thread.

All in all though quite good and it is fast.

Rick

Larry Gibson
01-28-2013, 12:01 PM
I'm still getting a lot of unwanted scrolling and the text jumping up or down when the curser is barely moved in the block or moved to the outside in the response blocks both on forum and in PMs.

Larry Gibson

snuffy
01-28-2013, 04:00 PM
Well since you asked;

I too have script superimposed over one another on the header. I use the scroll wheel+ ctrl button to make the font big enough to read. This expands the whole page. I know that causes the problem, but I can't read with my nose 6 inches from the screen, my back won't let me.Link to us and outdoorsman are in the same space, on the right the Today and advanced search are too.

It also causes the results from a poll the be impossible to see the numbers until I scroll back.

Some websites have the ability to make the size of the font bigger without affecting the rest of the page. Don't know how they do it, or if it's possible on this software.

Minor concern I can live with, the rest of it works well!

Alan in Vermont
01-28-2013, 04:10 PM
Damn, I hate being of faltering mind!

Wasn't pics I was having problems with, it was links.

Used to be you hit the link button and a box opened with http//, highlighted, in it. Paste the link address into that and hit enter and the link address would come up twice, move the cursor into the second of the duplicated address, it would highlight, enter the text you wanted the link to appear as, then hit enter and you link appeared as whatever text you had entered but now it was the shortcut to the link address.

Probably not the greatest explanation of the problem but now, no matter what I try, that process does nothing. If I want to add a link I have to paste the whole thing into the message. That usually takes up more space and just looks terribly amateurish.

Any suggestions?

My apologies for making you deal with the no pics complaint I put up earlier.

lylejb
01-28-2013, 09:18 PM
Thank you Willy!

obssd1958
01-29-2013, 01:58 PM
Hey Willy!
Everything seems to be working well, with one exception:
Not a big deal, but every time I go to the "Straight Shooters & Deadbeats" sub-forum, the sort order defaults to sorting by the thread titles in acsending order. All of the other forums sort by last post time in descending order. I can change it at the bottom of the page, but as soon as I leave that sub-forum, and then come back, it has defaulted back as described above.
Any clue?

Don

fishhawk
01-29-2013, 02:06 PM
Well what happened in strait shooters and dead beats is I am trying to combine threads for every one there and instead of trying to go through 234 pages looking for posts on just one member I asked if it was possible to get things posted alphabetically so now at least posts are grouped by person and should be easier for you folks to find a certain members "stats" on deals. So things listed alphabetically is now the default setting. steve k. swapping and selling moderator

obssd1958
01-29-2013, 05:05 PM
Steve,
That makes perfect sense!
Thanks for the explanation, and thanks for thinkin' of us!!

Don

fishhawk
01-29-2013, 05:09 PM
I am working from the back forward on it and am in 10 pages from when I started and have combined enough threads to have dropped 6 pages off already but man is it slow going doing every thread.

Olevern
01-29-2013, 08:04 PM
Was having major problems until I found that my 'puter updated my IE from 9 to 10. I was timing out on most pages, having to reload several times to get it to (very slowly) load...very frustrating.

Rolled back to IE9 and all is well.

Gunload Master
01-29-2013, 08:53 PM
Just as an FYI to all members. Internet Explorer 10 has known issues with this software as of right now.. Hopefully the fix will be made available soon, but until than use an earlier version if IE or use Firefox or Google Chrome.

Artful
01-29-2013, 10:45 PM
If I type in my handle "Artful" on search either as author or just general search, it doesn't not seem to find all the threads I posted recently on.

Other than that, it's doing well for me using chrome.

km101
01-29-2013, 11:24 PM
It's all working great as far a I can tell. Thanks for all your hard work!

williamwaco
01-30-2013, 10:32 PM
William, if you click your name and click view profile. You should have those options on the left?

Thanks.

Gunload Master
01-30-2013, 10:43 PM
If I type in my handle "Artful" on search either as author or just general search, it doesn't not seem to find all the threads I posted recently on.

Other than that, it's doing well for me using chrome.
Just click your name and click view forum posts.

Artful
01-31-2013, 12:20 AM
Just click your name and click view forum posts.

Well that does work better - it shows stuff that doesn't show up in either search function... any idea why that is?

And thank you for all your hard work on our board

David2011
01-31-2013, 11:53 PM
Willy,

I don't seem to be getting notifications of PMs when I log on. Is there a setting for that? Doesn't seem to matter if I'm on a Win7 or XP SP3 computer. Both have IE8.

Thanks for the upgrade!
David

Norbrat
02-02-2013, 09:42 PM
This is hardly a big issue, so I hate to say anything, but in private messages, my sent items do not show up.

Thank you for all the hard work you all do for this site. :)

Gunload Master
02-06-2013, 03:15 PM
Willy,

I don't seem to be getting notifications of PMs when I log on. Is there a setting for that? Doesn't seem to matter if I'm on a Win7 or XP SP3 computer. Both have IE8.

Thanks for the upgrade!
David
Click your username up top, then click User CP, over to the left is multiple options to customize everything. Under I believe it's General settings is the option for notifications of Private messages.

This is hardly a big issue, so I hate to say anything, but in private messages, my sent items do not show up.

Thank you for all the hard work you all do for this site. :)
Follow those instructions I just said and under general settings it should have an option to save a copy of your sent message in the sent folder.

crazy mark
02-06-2013, 06:34 PM
Gosh, No problems with what I am seeing and using. Hardly noticed any changes.