PDA

View Full Version : Field Expedient Cleaning Rod Guide for Bolt Guns

uscra112
01-26-2013, 12:54 PM
Needed a rod guide for a Savage 340 which I'm getting into shape for next range day. The fancy commercial ones I've bought for anything up to $20 don't fit that gun at all. What to do? I let my inner redneck loose on the problem, and in almost no time the solution was in hand.

Turns out that the 7.5x55 Swiss case is a nice friction fit inside a length of 1/2" PVC potable-water pipe, (the beige stuff, not the white stuff). The 1/2 inch PVC is in turn the right O.D. to make a good fit in the boltway of the Savage, (and the K-31, and my P17, und, und, und).

Milled a slot in the pipe. Bored the base of the brass out in the lathe. Assembled with a drop of Crazy Glue. Viola! Works to perfection. Cost so close to zero that it's not worth calculating.

The .30 caliber neck fits nicely into the mouth of a .222/.223 chamber. There's enough friction in the boltway that the thing stays in place with no fiddling. (The diameter is such that it depresses the sear a bit. In the P17 and the K-31 the magazine follower pressure holds it in place.)

The Swiss case has a bigger base diameter than the universal .470" of .30-06/.308 and variants, so for those a wrap of tape and maybe some epoxy would improve the fit.

PatMarlin
01-26-2013, 01:19 PM
Got definitely subscribe to this thread Phil. Nice.

Artful
01-26-2013, 05:05 PM
well done

geargnasher
01-27-2013, 06:30 PM
"Milled a slot" and "bored out with a lathe" being associated with "field expediency" made me laugh!!! I was expecting something like bootlace and wad of MRE wrapper and Tabasco sauce as a bore solvent.

Nice work though, you've given me an idea for making cartridge-specific guides out of fired brass. The pipe you're using is Cpvc residential hot water pipe, it's handy for lots of things.

Gear

uscra112
01-28-2013, 05:41 AM
Hey, don't all of you guys have a machine shop in your truck? ;-) Am I the only one?

geargnasher
01-28-2013, 07:15 PM
:bigsmyl2:

Gear

KYCaster
01-28-2013, 11:39 PM
Hey, don't all of you guys have a machine shop in your truck? ;-)

Well, yeah.

I have mine disguised to look like a pile of rusty hammers, chisels and pipe wrenches. [smilie=1:

Jerry

Frank46
01-29-2013, 12:34 AM
I picked up a couple of the swiss cleaning kits sometime ago. Think they cost me about 5 bucks each. While good for the 30 caliber rifles if you have more than one should be able to add or subtract cleaning rod sections from both kits to clean bores from 30 caliber on up. And they roll up into a nice small package. Frank

P.K.
01-29-2013, 07:12 AM
Well, yeah.

I have mine disguised to look like a pile of rusty hammers, chisels and pipe wrenches. [smilie=1:

Jerry

If that's the case there are alot of those around! Mine included!

To the OP, very nice, and gives me a couple of ideas to addapt to others. Thanks for sharing!