PDA

View Full Version : Chemical Reminder - for X101airborne and other friends on here

Artful
01-25-2013, 10:07 PM
Just a reminder so life is better without problems - self inflicted

Incompatible Chemical Mixtures

Some chemicals shouldn't be mixed together.
In fact, these chemicals shouldn't even be stored near each other
on the chance that an accident could occur and the chemicals could react.
Be sure to keep incompatibilities in mind when reusing containers to store other chemicals.

Here are some examples of mixtures to avoid:

Acids with cyanide salts or cyanide solution. Generates highly toxic hydrogen cyanide gas.

Acids with sulfide salts or sulfide solutions. Generates highly toxic hydrogen sulfide gas.

Acids with bleach. Generates highly toxic chlorine gas. An example of this would be mixing bleach and vinegar.

Ammonia with bleach. Releases toxic chloramine vapors.

Oxidizing acids (e.g., nitric acid, perchloric acid) with combustible materials (e.g., paper, alchohols, other common solvents). May result in fire.

Solid oxidizers (e.g., permanganates, iodates, nitrates) with combustible materials (e.g., paper, alchohols, other common solvents). May result in fire.

Hydrides (e.g., sodium hydride) with water. May form flammable hydrogen gas.

Phosphides (e.g., sodium phosphide) with water. May form highly toxic phosphine gas.

Silver salts with ammonia in the presence of a strong base. May generate an explosively unstable solid.

Alkali metals (e.g., sodium, potassium) with water. May form flammable hydrogen gas.

Oxidizing agents (e.g., nitric acid) with reducing agents (e.g., hydrazine). May cause fires or explosions.

Unsaturated compounds (e.g., substances containing carbonyls or double bonds) in the presence of acids or bases. May polymerize violently.

Hydrogen peroxide/acetone mixtures when heated in the presence of an acid. May cause explosions.

Hydrogen peroxide/acetic acid mixtures. May explode upon heating.

Hydrogen peroxide/sulfuric acid mixtures. May spontaneously detonate.

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/toxicchemicals/a/aa603003a.htm

Bleach with Acid Toilet Bowl Cleaners
This mixture can result in toxic, potentially deadly fumes.

Bleach with Vinegar
Vinegar is a type of acid. Toxic chlorine vapor is produced. Don't mix chlorine bleach with any acid.

Bleach with Ammonia
Toxic, potentially lethal vapors are produced. The main danger comes from chloramine vapors.

Different Brands of One Type of Product
Don't mix different cleaners together. They may react violently, produce toxins, or become ineffective.

Highly Alkaline Products with Highly Acidic Products
Acids and bases (alkalis) can react violently, presenting a splash hazard. Acids and bases are caustic and may cause chemical burns.

Certain Disinfectants with Detergents
Don't mix disinfectants with 'quaternary ammonia' listed as an ingedient with a detergent. The effectiveness of the disinfectant may be neutralized.

Chlorine bleach is sometimes called “sodium hypochlorite” or “hypochlorite.” You will encounter it in chlorine bleach, automatic dishwashing detergents, chlorinated disinfectants and cleaners, chlorinated scouring powder, mildew removers, and toilet bowl cleaners. Do not mix products together. Do not mix them with ammonia or vinegar.

Read the labels of products in your home and following instructions for proper use. Many containers will state the most common dangers from interaction with other products.

- one funny story - had a friend with plugged up plumbing - the outgoing part if you know what I mean.
put on one drain cleaner and waited - didn't work - so went and bought another added it to the pipes
I think it was three together formed a concrete hard blockage that required replumbing
- fun digging for us all, but cost about two cases of beer and the new pipes.

leadman
01-25-2013, 10:30 PM
I was working the first Household hazardous Waste collection the City of Phoenix did 20 some years ago. A guy pulls in with a little european sports car of some kind. He opens the trunk and has an open top 5 gallon bucket of gasoline about 3/4 full, an old auto battery, and a brown glass gallon jug of perchlorate that was dried up and had crystals in it. I hollered at the fire dept hazmat guys and they about went wild when they saw that.
An old VW bus also pulled in that day and when the driver slid the side door open his young kids were sitting on about 5 old car batteries!

People don't realize how damgerous some household items can be. Thanks for posting this.

Johnch
01-25-2013, 10:59 PM
Dad spilled bleach onto some drain cleaner

1 breath and he stumbled out of the room
He was in the hospital for 5 days
With chemical burns to his lungs

Doc said a few more seconds and he would have been dead

All to easy to kill yourself

John

runfiverun
01-25-2013, 11:03 PM
man i would have loved to have gotten that dried up perchlorate.

JIMinPHX
01-25-2013, 11:35 PM
Hydrazine? Where do you expect the average Joe to come in contact with hydrazine? The only place that I've seen that stuff used was for fueling unnamed space probes & shooting satellites into orbit. That stuff is incredibly dangerous all by itself. It doesn't need any help from other chemicals.

Artful
01-26-2013, 12:16 AM
look no farther than your airbag in your vehicle.

Adam10mm
01-26-2013, 03:38 AM
I deal with that **** every day at work. Fun stuff. We use hydrogen peroxide in a sulfuric acid bath and have to maintain a 4:1 ratio of H2O2:stabilizer to keep it from detonating.

oldarkie
01-26-2013, 09:55 AM
i brew my own beer ,and one day was given some very dirty bottles,could not get them clean.so i fired up the turkey frier,put in dish soap and bleach.this didnt work so well,so i thought a little amonia.the second i did it it dawned on me what i had done and ran out the barn door,held my breath ran back in and shut off the fire.one stupid moment can injure or kill.