PDA

View Full Version : Cheap CCI .22LR blazer

Olevern
01-25-2013, 07:39 PM
Went to a 'not so local' gun shop today, got bored and a snow front was coming thru late afternoon, so figured would get out this morning for awhile. Traveled to a shop about 50 miles from where I live and went in and looked over the used gun racks, nothing there I was interested in. Went up to the pistol showcases and, right in front of the register I see a stack of cases of cci blazer with a sign advising they were on sale and the price of $16.00 a brick, limit of two. You know I got my wallet out for that one, purchased the two bricks and asked the clerk behind the register why they would put such a hot item on sale when they could sell as much as they could get in for inflated prices (not that I was complaining). Clerk said they had planned the sale months ago, had printed the sale flyers and ordered in the extra stock to cover anticipated sales so they decided to go ahead with the sale but added a two brick limit in view of the current circumstances.

Had taken my wife and her friend along with me and left the shop and drove another twenty miles to the super Wally mart so they could pick up some groceries, then went out for lunch and turned around to retrace our route and go home. As we again approached the gun shop, I briefly entertained a thought to stop again and pick up another two bricks, but dismissed the thought as greedy and went on by to allow others to stock up as well.

I thought it was decent of this shop to follow thru on their planned sale; they could have prevaricated in any number of ways; ie: announced that it was unavailable and keep it in the back room for a few weeks before returning it to the shelves at inflated prices, for one.

Just curious...would you have stopped several hours later and bought more?

Rick N Bama
01-25-2013, 08:07 PM
Good find & nice of you to leave some for others! I bet there's not a brick of Blazers within 100 miles of me.

Rick

Hamish
01-25-2013, 08:11 PM
If I was actually going to give instead of keep, I might be tempted to go back. I wish I had tripled the amount of Blazer I bought months ago at that price.

Charlie Two Tracks
01-25-2013, 08:18 PM
Good job Olevern. Doing right when tempted is a great test of character.

Bill*
01-25-2013, 08:23 PM
Good on ya for not being greedy.

bbqncigars
01-25-2013, 08:39 PM
Well done, to avoid the temptation to hoard ammo like that. I just look to replace the last sessions expenditure if possible. If not, I'm still good.

dragon813gt
01-25-2013, 08:52 PM
I wouldn't have gone back. But I would have had the two people with you purchase their limit when you were there the first time. In my case it wouldn't have been hoarding or greedy. Six boxes is about two months worth of shooting. And I haven't restocked my supply in about six months. It's nice to see a shop stand behind their sale. I would make sure to visit the shop in the future.

pipehand
01-25-2013, 09:37 PM
What Dragon813gt said. The CCI Bazer seem to be the highest quality of the bulk pack ammo available. Winchester, Remington and Federal Bulk packs purchased since 2008 have had a lot of failure to fires for me, but the CCI products have been consistently good.

WILCO
01-26-2013, 04:31 AM
Just curious...would you have stopped several hours later and bought more?

Yep. I need it, the government is making it difficult to get.

Lloyd Smale
01-26-2013, 07:40 AM
yup two for each would not have been cheating.

Gator 45/70
01-26-2013, 08:17 AM
I don't know other people's reasoning or if this is considered ''hoarding'',However after being a boy scout and Katrina taught me a hard lesson on rarity of ammo when you may need it the most.
Cleaned out the closet and a few tote's last night and refound these that i had picked up over the last several year's,Seem's i've been stack'n back plenty...

tinsnips
01-26-2013, 11:49 AM
If only everyone would follow your lead an leave some for the next guy we would not be having a shortage problem. It was good thing on your part . I would remember that gun shop and go back for some future purchases.

Sweetpea
01-26-2013, 12:11 PM
Maybe you could have picked up some extra and passed it on to your shooting buddies at cost... (provided they used it themselves, and did not gouge others)

But most of us don't want those types for shooting buddies anyways.

popper
01-26-2013, 06:34 PM
Haven't seen a brick of CCI Blaser for a year or so, nor the Fed LRN. Consider yourself very lucky

Dale in Louisiana
01-26-2013, 06:42 PM
Had to go to the local WalMart this morning to get a laundry basket. Detoured by sporting goods on the off chance that they might have something I needed. Was looking for a couple of bricks of .22 for the next range day.

They had NO .22, and almost nothing else that went in a rifle. Couple of boxes of .30-06 at twenty bucks a box. Nothing that you could stuff in anything resembling an AR or AK style rifle. Almost bare.

dale in Louisiana

rhadamanthos12
01-27-2013, 04:17 AM
I would be happy with just getting the two bricks, im sure there are plenty of other people that aren't getting a chance to shoot because people are panic buying. It can be quite frustrating watching people buy items they will never use because they have been whipped into a frenzy

Boerrancher
01-27-2013, 10:34 AM
I learned my lesson 4 years ago when you couldn't buy ammo, and for the last couple years once a month I would buy a brick of 22LR. I personally don't shoot a 22 LR that much because I prefer my muzzleloaders, but since 2 of my kids are just starting out small game hunting and need the practice shooting, I want to make sure I have enough for them to shoot and hunt with. Even though both of them use the 10/22 I don't let them burn up ammo. I have found it cheaper in the long run to set up squirrel sized targets, give them each 25 rounds, and tell them I will pay them $0.50 for each hit they score. I implemented this payment per shot strategy and found it worked to teach the kids to be better shots and conserve ammo. Trust me it works.

Best wishes,

Joe

jonas302
01-27-2013, 04:51 PM
Boy if I had seen blazer at that price pre shortage I would have got at least one case

3006guns
01-27-2013, 05:40 PM
I would NEVER stoop to "return later" tactics, simply to grab more ammo than I'm entitled to. It isn't in the spirit of sportsmanship or brotherhood.

I'd have my wife go back and get a couple of bricks...................

Harter66
01-27-2013, 11:53 PM
I probably would have had everyone in my party buy 2..........but I've 2 50cal cans of 550 packs X1 was twisted about me buying at $9 under "W".

EMC45
01-28-2013, 01:09 PM
Blazer is about the best .22LR I have found. I like it a lot.

dakotashooter2
01-28-2013, 04:34 PM
Ask yourself..... At $16 brick under normal supply conditions, would you have bought more than 2..... If your answer is yes then there is no hoarding foul.....................

Bonz
01-28-2013, 06:22 PM
I truly believe that the only way we are going to get out of this mess is if people stop the panic buying.

Just hate the thought of prices staying this high when the shelves refill. I have started to see a lot of gun powder on websites but still no primers, especially small pistol primers.