PDA

View Full Version : Happening in a store near you ( it seems mine is)

GRUMPA
01-25-2013, 03:07 PM
I took the wife to the Dr. this morning and afterwards went the the drug store to get her medication. I remembered they just started to carry ammo a few months back so I decided to go into the store with her and see what they had. Almost wish I didn't I about had a mild coronary when I saw what they get for 22 ammo.

They had other stuff there at the older prices and that was the older stock, I had the clerk scan it to make sure it's right and she said the price was right. So if this is the way things are going to be in the near future.........well..........you figure it out.

David2011
01-25-2013, 03:14 PM
That's not a bad price for .22 Mag. It's a buck higher where I shop- before the inflated prices set in. Not surprised about the .44 Special either since I've seen guys who don't cast and reload at the range with new .45 Colt at $47-50 and would guess that .45 Colt is more popular and less costly than .44 Special but only guessing there. Ammo has been very high for a good while.

I've heard of gun show prices of .22 LR at $60+ for a brick. That's pretty stiff.

David

Sergeant Earthworm
01-25-2013, 04:04 PM
It appears there is no need for the government to impose new taxes on guns and ammo. The dealers are already doing that with some of the outrageous prices they are charging. I saw ammo on a table at a recent gun show. They bought it at Wal-Mart and doubled the price.

Mooseman
01-25-2013, 04:28 PM
The way I see it...it is pure Greed and devaluing the Dollar and causing inflation from an economic point of view.
Prices may never come back down to an affordable level.

MT Gianni
01-25-2013, 10:44 PM
The way I see it...it is pure Greed and devaluing the Dollar and causing inflation from an economic point of view.

Like 99 cent gasoline, the past is past and no return in sight.

41 mag fan
01-26-2013, 01:44 AM
They'll come down, hopefully. When they do the ones who bought high, and charged even higher will be biting nails how to get their money back.....I hope

WILCO
01-26-2013, 04:24 AM

It's not greed. It's supply and demand. Basic laws of economics. Just because an item is priced high, doesn't mean it will sell. Vote with your wallet.

starmac
01-26-2013, 04:27 AM
Like 99 cent gasoline, the past is past and no return in sight.

Try 25 cent gas, by the time it hit 99 cents, the price had quadrupled since I started buying it. 19 cents during the gas wars. lol

Wis. Tom
01-26-2013, 10:09 AM
It may go back down alittle, and stable off, but everything that is happening on the political front, begs to differ, with that assumption. The regime is on a roll, and everything I am seeing, right now, doesn't give me any warm fuzzy feeling, for the future. If you can afford things, buy them, because as much funny money the feds are making out of thin air, I can't believe anything, will be going down much, in the near future. Just saying.

David2011
01-27-2013, 08:02 PM
At a gun show yesterday the going price for primers was $60/K. Gunpowder was running $45-$50/lb. Some of this was dealers selling (trying to sell), making the most of supply and demand- or however you want to view it. The same gunpowder was available not too long ago from Powder Valley for $18 so I'm guessing the dealer paid less than that and is just making a living. He had a lot of primers left at that price. People were voting with their wallets. Lots of magazines available at inflated prices as well; not too many seemed to be selling. Someone had NIB Ruger 10/22 mags for $24.95. I just got a Midway flyer offering them for $11.49.

Later the same day I saw a guy buying every box of .300 Win Mag ammo Walmart had- almost $400 worth at regular prices. He's part of the problem.

I'll need some more j-words to finish the rifle competition season this year but gratefully I just might have enough powder to make the pistol season. I only shoot boolits for pistol competition so can take care of myself there.

David

Idaho Mule
01-27-2013, 08:28 PM
In my opinion it is guys like the one buying 400$ worth of 300 WM that are causing the problem. They buy in panic mode with no idea what they will do with it, but by golly they got it. In my opinion the way to build a "stash" of whatever is slowly, over time, buying at the right price and slowly building up a suitable supply of something you will USE!! One must watch out for themselves and buy right, don't let yourself be pulled into the "panic buying" mode. Sorry folks, just my 2 cents worth here. JW

Harter66
01-27-2013, 11:43 PM
45 Colts are "just" $40 a box, 50/255 LRNFP or 20/225 HyShocks. I quit buying them at $19.
38s are $18 , 9s and 357 upwards of $30 , 40s I found $40 100 before Christmas in the Winchester value pack.

A friend of mine just bought a bull bbl Buckmark I couldn't help myself "what cha gonna shoot in it?" $25 for any of the bulk packs. He tells me its cheaper than his 9mm. I just smile knowingly.

Love Life
01-27-2013, 11:51 PM
If you have the coin you are in the right to buy whatever you please in any quantity you please. Since I have been providing for myself I have always bought things I use in the largest quantity I could afford. I was the guy who cleans out a shelf of small rifle primers BEFORE the panic because I use them and will continue to use them. If I see a primers for under $40.00 a brick today I will buy as many as I can afford. Why? Because I want them and because I can. It's not my fault someone got there late or decided to load hand to mouth until the panic started.

Let people hoard, and let people gouge. We can all just call them names and go on about our lives.

Blacksmith
01-28-2013, 12:49 AM
It's no different than the Milk and Bread aisles in the grocery store when the weather report says SNOW or HURRICANE or whatever the emergency of the month happens to be. Most people can't look further ahead than the next TV show or movie release so they are prepared for nothing.

Gliden07
01-28-2013, 01:46 AM
Well I go to school and buy on a budget. The reason I started loading and casting was to save money! I buy a box of this or a can of that when I can. The people buying large quantities and driving prices up keep me from shooting as much as I like because I can't afford the current economic climate. Not thru any fault of my own, its a choice pay for heat or buy primers!

Love Life
01-28-2013, 01:55 AM
People who buy in large quantity pay the same prices as the person who buys in small amounts so it actually evens out.

Some people shoot upwards of 5,000 of each size primer a year. What good is it to buy 2 100 packs of primers? Same thing for powder. If you fire a round that uses 46 gr of powder, what good is lb of powder? It just makes financial sense to buy in bulk. Just like extreme couponing...

Pre November 2012=Prepared
post December 2012= Evil hoarder, price bringer upper guy, greedy, blah, blah, blah

Money saving tips to help people afford more components:
Cancel internet
Cancel cell phone
Cancel cable
Cut back or cancel eating out
Brown bag
Cut back on driving (only work and back or emergencies)
Buy generic and buy in bulk
Cut back on electricity consumption and propane (think layers)
No impulse buys
Buy only needs

Do this for 5 months and put all the extra cash into components and you should be good for a bit.

An expenditure break down (example):
Cable/Sat: $80.00
Internet: $50.00
Erroneous driving: $100.00
Cell phone: $100.00
Land line: $65.00
Eating out: $150.00
Impulse buys: $30.00

Total: $575.00 per month in totally not needed stuff that can be done without to buy more components.