PDA

View Full Version : Small rifle primers in .357 lever actions?

FergusonTO35
01-25-2013, 10:54 AM
Hey guys. I was wondering how well small rifle primers work in .357 for lever guns? As you know small pistol primers are simply not available or at inflated prices so I need to make my supply last. I was planning to use small pistol magnum but now it looks like I will have to use those in .38 Special. I do have a fair number of small rifle primers; most are standard, some are magnum. My .357 cartridges will only be used in my 1894, I don't own any .357 handguns. Is this a good idea? I have read that small rifle primers can push the boolit out of the case before the powder starts burning, mebbe thats just a problem in revolvers? For practice and varmint control I will be using Unique with 125 and 158 grain plain base boolits, for real hunting loads I will be using H110 with gas checked 158's and j-word 158's and 180's. Let me know what you think or what your experience has been. Thanks!

Jim
01-25-2013, 11:04 AM
Rifle primers have a bit higher profile that pistol primers. I found that out when trying to use RPs in revolver ammo and the high primers caused the cylinder to bind and drag. You may be able to successfully use them in a lever, but be careful and do your best to get the primers completely seated. I would be a bit hesitant to work the lever briskly on the odd chance of a slam fire. Also, bear in mind that rifle primers are going to generate a much hotter flash. You might want to cut back on the charge and work back up.

Mugs
01-25-2013, 11:34 AM
SR & SP are the same height I load all .357 with SR because of hot loads, TC & FA. From my days of loading .357 Max. which call for SR. Start low and work up.

Mugs

cptuap
01-25-2013, 11:41 AM
Small Rifle primers do indeed have a higher profile. Sinclair even makes primer pocket reamers to match each. The man from Floyd Va. is correct.

Mugs
01-25-2013, 12:04 PM
Saami specs. for small pistol & small rifle both primer pockets. .117-.123.
Sinclair 749-003-709WB small rifle/pistol.
Mugs

fecmech
01-25-2013, 12:21 PM
Small Rifle primers are the same size as SP primers. I use them in both my .357 mag rifles and pistols when using 296/H110 powder. I get better ballistic uniformity and accuracy doing that. During the previous primer shortage that was all I could get at the time and used SR primers in all my .38 and .357 loads. The only place I saw any difference was with the slow ball powders. My Unique and Bullseye loads didn't change any more than moving between different brands of SP primers. Only real downside to SR primers would be for guys shooting DA guns with light hammer falls that I can see.

FergusonTO35
01-25-2013, 01:58 PM
Sounds good. I am certainly planning to work my loads up carefully. If SR primers work well I will keep using them even if SP become commonly available again. SR primers are nearly always available around here, it seems that very few people reload for their AR's.

TXBRILL
01-25-2013, 02:34 PM
I have always operated under the assumption that if I was shooting in a pistol use pistol primers, same caliber in a rifle, use rifle. when they were out of the marked box don't worry about it.

Jim
01-25-2013, 02:36 PM
Please go to the Smith & Wesson forum (http://smith-wessonforum.com/reloading/248288-primer-primer-pocket-dimensions-saami.html) and click on the link in the first post of the thread referenced.

The information I posted is incorrect.

Jon K
01-25-2013, 11:01 PM
SR primers will work well in your 1894 levergun.
The only differenc I have seen with SR & SP in a 357 is in my S&W 627...it will not consistantly lite the SR primer in DA in Single Action fire it's OK

FergusonTO35
01-27-2013, 12:41 AM
Today I fired some loads with 5.7 grains Unique under a 158 grain slug with CCI small rifle primers. Very good accuracy at 40 yards and no problems to speak of. Love that little carbine!!8-)

Frank46
01-27-2013, 01:39 AM
I have a marlin 1894 in 357. Was using winchester small pistol primers and never had a problem. Decided to drop the charge weight about two grains (using IMR 4227) and try small rifle primers. Nope no cigar. would have to recock the hammer a second time before they would go off. Far as I know this carbine has not had any work done to it like lighter springs. So back to small pistol primers. Frank

H110
01-27-2013, 02:13 AM
They will work fine most of the time. Small rifle primers have a thicker cup due to higher pressure. If you try and use small rifle primers with lower pressure loads, you will find they will often not seal off in the primer pocket, gas can leak past and cut the bolt face after repeated firings. Upon inspection make sure the primer is somewhat flattened as usual, meaning it is sealing. From my experience SRP are more consistent than SPP and for the record Federals seem to ignite a little easier.

H110

jp99
01-27-2013, 02:55 AM
I like SRP in the .357 with H110

Regards,

JP99

phaessler
01-27-2013, 07:30 AM
Have seen this discussion several times, both on and off the internet...
I typically refer to this:

Primer Pocket Uniformers in small primer pockets wether it be rifle or pistol are there to create "uniformity in depth". This too applies to Large primers, however Large Rifle pockets are typically deeper for mechanical tolerances, safety , i.e. slam fires, etc.
I do agree rifle variety primers are "Hotter" and need to be treated as such with handloading.
Take it or leave , just putting information on the table.
Hope it helps.
Pete

Idaho Mule
02-03-2013, 08:07 PM
I use small rifle primers in lots of loads in my 32-20's and 357 Marlin. Same loads function just fine for me in revolvers. That 5.7 gr. of Unique has always been a favorite load of mine in both 32-20 and 38. It is a little "warm" for the 32-20 but it sure shoots good. JW

FergusonTO35
02-04-2013, 12:10 AM
Wouldn't 5.7 of Unique be rather hot in .38 cases? I'm also gong to try Accurate #5 when the weather gets better.

KCSO
02-05-2013, 10:03 AM
Waters Pet Loads under 357 Lever guns loads did an extensive test on this with all factors included, primer size, how hoot they were firing pin ect. He came to the conclusion that standard pistol primers were the best. That's what i use for the last 30 years.

Reloader270
02-06-2013, 02:13 PM
I have a marlin 1894 in 357. Was using winchester small pistol primers and never had a problem. Decided to drop the charge weight about two grains (using IMR 4227) and try small rifle primers. Nope no cigar. would have to recock the hammer a second time before they would go off. Far as I know this carbine has not had any work done to it like lighter springs. So back to small pistol primers. Frank

I also have a 1894 Marlin in .357 Magnum. I only load SR primers for the reason that some slower burning powders cause unburned flakes due to lower pressure. Had some misfires with CCI SR Magnum primers. Currenly I only use Federal 205 SR and never had any misfires. Most of the 1894 Marlins has micro grooving which cause lower pressure. With powder like IMR4227 speed in access of 1600fps is possible - making it a a potent hog killer.

Reloader270
02-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Go to the following site for primer thickness / dimensions:
http://www.radomski.us/njhp/cart_tech.htm

Also read:
http://www.castingstuff.com/primer_testing_reference.htm

Idaho Mule
02-07-2013, 12:20 AM
Ferguson, yes it is a little hot in 38, and probably not reccomended. I shoot them in my 1894 and Ruger Security-Six 357 tho. I figure both guns are 357 so should handle 38+p loads and have had no problems. JW

dragon813gt
02-07-2013, 11:13 PM
I use SR primers w/ H110 only. They're the equivalent of a SPM, just with a harder cup. You may find some reports of breech face erosion with using SR primers instead of SPM. I've had no issues thus far and my Marlin has lit everyone off with no issues. My new S&W 586 had no problems with the SR primers as well.

I would only use them for powders that call for SPM primers.

FergusonTO35
02-08-2013, 11:10 PM
Any of you guys like Accurate #5 under boolits in .357 carbines?

Rafe Covington
02-09-2013, 12:07 AM
I have used SR and LR primers for years in my handgun caliber TC's and lever rifles, I do modify the primer pocket so they fit flush. I personally have never had a problem but each firearm is different.

Take Care
Rafe

Doc65
02-09-2013, 12:21 AM
Very interesting, I was always under the impression that SRP's were taller than SPP's, though I had never actually measured them now that I think about it, my assumption was based on the measurements I made between LRP & LPP's. Still I'm decently stocked on SPP's & they seem to shoot fine, so probably stick to them, nice to know I COULD use SRP's though if necessary...

Have seen this discussion several times, both on and off the internet...
I typically refer to this:

Primer Pocket Uniformers in small primer pockets wether it be rifle or pistol are there to create "uniformity in depth". This too applies to Large primers, however Large Rifle pockets are typically deeper for mechanical tolerances, safety , i.e. slam fires, etc.
I do agree rifle variety primers are "Hotter" and need to be treated as such with handloading.
Take it or leave , just putting information on the table.
Hope it helps.
Pete