PDA

View Full Version : ICE - Nashville to Ashville.

Charlie Two Tracks
01-25-2013, 09:07 AM
I was just watching the news and it said that there was going to be 1/4 inch of ice down South. What the heck do you guys down there do with that much ice? I've rode my bike all over that area and sure wouldn't want to see ice, even with my 4 wheeler. I think I'd just keep the door shut and wait for a warmer day before I went outside. Highway 129, Deals Gap the Tail of the Dragon, what a ride!

Chihuahua Floyd
01-25-2013, 11:56 AM
Well, I went to work this morning, got send home at 10:00 am. Roads are a little iced. Just plan on staying home. Hope power stays on.
Bryson City is quite today.
CF

Rick N Bama
01-25-2013, 08:26 PM
Highway 129, Deals Gap the Tail of the Dragon, what a ride!

A word of advice.....don't ever, I mean never, drive the "Tail" on a nice Sunday Afternoon in a 4-Cyl Toyota 4-Runner! Just don't ask how I know that [smilie=1:

Rick

DLCTEX
01-25-2013, 11:16 PM
They sprayed the roads with brine, according to the news.

10x
01-26-2013, 06:26 PM
I was just watching the news and it said that there was going to be 1/4 inch of ice down South. What the heck do you guys down there do with that much ice? I've rode my bike all over that area and sure wouldn't want to see ice, even with my 4 wheeler. I think I'd just keep the door shut and wait for a warmer day before I went outside. Highway 129, Deals Gap the Tail of the Dragon, what a ride!

I just drove about 700 miles in northern Canada. Black ice on highways is a fact of life. So is slowing down when you figure out the road is icy. Black ice is clear and looks just like dry pavement, or wet pavement. But it is slicker than butter on a brass doorknob...

Rick N Bama
01-26-2013, 09:40 PM
I just drove about 700 miles in northern Canada. Black ice on highways is a fact of life. So is slowing down when you figure out the road is icy. Black ice is clear and looks just like dry pavement, or wet pavement. But it is slicker than butter on a brass doorknob...

So how do you guys drive in it when we can't here....and yes we do get Black Ice from time to time.

Rick

10x
01-27-2013, 01:45 AM
So how do you guys drive in it when we can't here....and yes we do get Black Ice from time to time.

Rick

Yokohama winter ice and snow tires at about $350.00 a tire on my Tundra.
And about 400 lb of lead sheet in the box for weight.
Not to mention good judgement, watching for clues (5 vehicles in the ditch on roofs), anticipation, and a measure of luck. Oh, the traction control and a wheel slip indicator is worth twice its weight in gold. I have discovered a single rear wheel will spin for four or five seconds before the other one breaks loose and gives that little sideways kick.
Oh, and when it is icy, every move is planned. A twitch of the steering wheel can launch one on a sideways course into the ditch.

41 mag fan
01-27-2013, 10:26 AM
It bbecomes second nature to drive in bad weather when you're used to it. Ice is ice though, 4 wheel drive, anti slip, AWD ect ect wont help if you're not driving for the conditions.

Charlie Two Tracks
01-27-2013, 10:46 AM
I've had to drive with the right side tires on the shoulder (gravel) part of the road to get home. Not fun. When I was plowing snow, sometimes I would have to back up a hill with the salt spreader spraying salt so I could get traction. I retired so I don't have to do that crazy stuff anymore. Backing up the ramps on I-80 at the Big "X" (I-80 and I-74 intersection) is quite interesting.

10x
01-27-2013, 11:18 AM
It bbecomes second nature to drive in bad weather when you're used to it. Ice is ice though, 4 wheel drive, anti slip, AWD ect ect wont help if you're not driving for the conditions.

I have driven AWB and 4x4 on ice covered roads. AWB is good, some brands of 4x4 will help put you in the ditch unless you are under 25 mph. Has something to do with how the front and real difs lockup and the front wheels losing steering traction.

blackthorn
01-27-2013, 11:53 AM
For me its: Snow (not all season) tires, sipped and studded (all 4 wheels), AWD or 4x4 (depends on which vechical), NO quick moves and slow down, leave early and leave lots of room between me and the guy in front. Snow tires put on October 1st and taken off mid to end March. With the amount of driving I do these days I figure to get 3 to 4 years out of a set of snow tires, then I pull the studs and they become summer tires until they are worn out. Used to think all seasons were good enough but one spin-out (one set of brown underware) and having to choose between going straight off the road into the ditch or likely rolling it changed my mind!

10x
01-27-2013, 12:26 PM
Last time ice put me in a ditch I had slowed to 40 mph, had good winter/ice tires, and was doing everything right. No fast moves, nothing fancy with the brakes or gas pedal, just the ford ranger with no traction on all 4 wheels headed for the ditch. It took about 100 yards of this - lots of time to think, steer and attempt to break the slide, and slow down to 30 mph. The tires could not hold traction against the slope of the crown of the road and into the ditch I went.
The next vehicle along was going the same speed and hit the ditch stopping about 20 yards from my truck. Sometimes there ain't nothing you can do.

Rick N Bama
01-27-2013, 10:15 PM
The only time I've ever had to drive on solid ice was during the aftermath of an Ice Storm we had here in '85. I worked for the local Phone Co & we had to go about our work more or less as normal. Thankfully I got to work before things got bad. We had chains on our trucks & still several wound up in ditches, but luckily I managed to drive that whole 3 days without an accident. I was driving a 3/4 ton Chevy loaded to the gills with equipment & supplies. I spent 3 nights sleeping on the floor at our Work Center along with several others that didn't attempt to go home until the ice thawed.

Rick

tinsnips
01-27-2013, 10:52 PM
For us in North Dakota it is blizzards, locals know to slow down when it is icy, but in our part of the state{western}there is people from all over the united states working in the oil fields the are wrecking an getting killed left an right. They do not slow down at all, they just don't get it . Most drive 4wheel drive pickups an think they will be okay, not so.

GT27
01-27-2013, 10:55 PM
Were supposed to get it tommorow morning here in the northeast,yipeeeeee!