PDA

View Full Version : ***. What a day. What NOT to do.

x101airborne
01-24-2013, 10:49 PM
Today started like any other. Coffee, news, kids and wife off to their day. Calls from friends, check on my dad, and a beautiful sunrise.

AND THEN ALL HOLY HECK BREAKS LOOSE.

Short of the Russians attacking, everything went to H E double hockey sticks in a flash. Dad calls back and tells me there are 27 hogs in the trap and I need to come take care of them.
Joy. (In a sarcastic tone)

So I get there and Dad is in a fine mood. (Again sarcasm intended)
I get to hear about everything wrong in my life. While looking at some of the saltiest hogs I have seen in a long time, I get told not to shoot them in the trap. So I now have a 35 foot diameter WWF Ultimate Fighting ring with 27 opponents. And I cannot shoot or stab them in the trap cause it might leave a scent that other hogs might not like. Ever looked into the eyes of a 200 pound bull dozer intent on eating you for a snack with nothing but gloves to help you? Ever looked into the eyes of 12 - 200 pound bull dozers intent on eating you? I have and I was scared. I would lie if I said I wasn't. So I catch 5 one at a time and drag them out. Once outside the trap, I stuck them. Bled them. Then took them to the house.

All processed up and iced down, Dad and I go for the next round.
Up around the pen is a coyote!
All right! Last yote I killed was over a year ago. Pull out the 308 and one shot to the head at 150 yards does the deed. Pull up and it is the most mangy yote I have ever shot. EVER. Good job, high five.
Go to the trap and wrassle 5 more out of the trap and take them to the house. Now I am no spring chicken. I know I am only 35, but three combat tours, worked a dairy for 15 years, and two herniated disks in my back leaves me where codine can' t touch. Dang I am hurting.
But, I have my dogs and kids and wife and life is good. That is all I need.
Till, the dog goes missing. Remember the mangy yote? That is where we found her. Oh snit.
Well after an hour of missing dog patrol, I finally get her loaded and head home. Tired, back hurting, PO'ed. Ready to get home and relax.
Get home and the wife has the kids running around like dang Indians. (Feathers, not dots)
I am trying to remain calm, and am getting no reasonable response. Swallow pride and words, and the wife says "That dang dog stinks."
Well, wasn't it YOUR dang dog to begin with? Fine, F-it, I will give the dog the hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and soap bath.
So I load a jar with the appropriate components. The wife says, ADD SOME BLEACH TO IT.
Do yall know that HP, baking soda and bleach make CHLORINE GAS!?!?!? I didn't. And to boot, it gets HOT AS HELL when the reaction persists. So now I am fully ex-foliated on both hands and am VERY uncomfortable. I have 10 hogs in an ice chest that still need to be taken care of, and the dog wont come anywhere near me.

Ya know what? I am gonna have a STIFF drink and go get a shower. I did take pics of the hogs and the yote, but cannot get them from my dad's high dollar camera, so it aint happening. I am just calling it a day and will holler at yall later. Thanks for letting me rant. It was just that kind of day. I hope yall's was better.

btroj
01-24-2013, 11:06 PM
Tomorrow is a new day?

DCM
01-24-2013, 11:08 PM
That sounds very familiar, very different chain of events mind you but some days one really looks forward to a drink and a good meeting with ones pillow.

DLCTEX
01-24-2013, 11:20 PM
At least you weren't bored.(:

alrighty
01-24-2013, 11:26 PM
You better make that two stiff drinks! Sometimes it is just one of those days.

Harter66
01-24-2013, 11:44 PM
While I pity you butchering that many pigs, I know all to well "whos britches did I bunch up" kind of days.

Did she thank you for the bacon?

I worked a while in a grooming shop, for fresh or week old skunk Masengale powdered douche mix was what was used.

x101airborne
01-25-2013, 12:36 AM
I don't mean to be a whiney butt, but.... I just needed to vent and thank you all for listening.
No, I did not get a thank you for the pork.
And if nothing else, I did make a new memory of my family, so it is worth it. I will laugh it off tomorrow.
I will especially laugh it off on Saturday when my sister comes to help me with the rest. This is gonna be fun.
THAT is my sanctum.

Fishman
01-25-2013, 01:28 AM
I'm sorry, that story is hilarious. I'm laughing with you . . . :) honest

Alvarez Kelly
01-25-2013, 03:06 AM
What did you do with the other 17 hogs? :-)

x101airborne
01-25-2013, 09:30 AM
They are still in the trap.
Plotting. Planning. All kitted up and ready to strike like a coiled rattler or an Apache flight wing.
They are just watching the horizon for their next victim without fear, without remorse. With the absolut intention of being the last thing living on the face of the earth. And when they can no longer sustain themselves on the ashes of their victims and the end is near, they will charge forward at full speed. Teeth bare, snarling with a ravenous scream curdling the blood of everything in their path. They will charge the gates of Hell with the knowledge that they will prevail and they will be victorious.

x101airborne
01-25-2013, 09:31 AM
And yep, that is how I really feel.

btroj
01-25-2013, 09:33 AM
Have you considered "Son, how bad you wanna eat? There is your next meal, go get him.".

Enjoy your hogs. Makes me glad to be here with my snow and freezing rain a few days away.

x101airborne
01-25-2013, 10:05 AM
Have you considered "Son, how bad you wanna eat? There is your next meal, go get him.".

Enjoy your hogs. Makes me glad to be here with my snow and freezing rain a few days away.

I am only trying to be comical, so please dont take offense, but did you wrestle and stab that zebra? I know it is not the same, but it feels very similar. How bad did you want that trophy?

Well, LOL, obviously bad enough to bring a rifle!

btroj
01-25-2013, 10:15 AM
Hey, I thought men were men in Texas?

I have to tip my hat to a guy who wrestles wild hogs. I shot a couple but had no desire to get up close and personal.

Have you considered selling the rights to come in and wrestle them? Maybe a reality TV show? I k ow there are idiots out there who would pay forthe opportunity. And I am NOT one of them.

x101airborne
01-25-2013, 10:25 AM
LOL, not only do I not get paid for doing it, I dont get paid to let others do it! Ya thing Discovery might pick it up?

btroj
01-25-2013, 10:47 AM
Look at the other garbage they put on TV, is this not up their alley? Someone had "hill billy handfishing", maybe you have "Hill Billy Hog Wrastling"?

I hope it works out well, I do expect a portion of the royalties.......

lbaize3
01-25-2013, 11:18 AM
x101 Airborne, ya need to write books! I would buy them and I tend to be picky about what I read. Ya get good at writing stories and then ya kin hire other folks to empty the hog pens. Ya could improve the economy and lower the deficit.... oh, heck I forgot about the current administration... no incentive to make more money.... Well, ya do write real well!

x101airborne
01-25-2013, 11:31 AM
Thank you for the compliment!

Chihuahua Floyd
01-25-2013, 11:49 AM
just a thought but if your dad is concerned about the smell of blood in the trap, woud it be easie to soot the next 17 and then move the trap?
Shovel all the bloodsoaked dirt out?
Bring in a couple more riflemen or shotgun, turn out one at a time and shoot them on the run?
I know you probably done thunk up all of these, but???
CF

x101airborne
01-25-2013, 12:00 PM
Tis an idea. Unfortunately, this trap is a permenant design around a large oak tree and the doors concreted into the ground. What is going to be exciting is I only took the 10 smallest hogs yesterday. I have another sow in there that is ULTRA salty. I wanted to kill her first, but could never grab her so I would grab a different one and she would run up and hook my snake boots. She knocked me down a couple times and I have a pretty bruised up calf where she REALLY got me. I think she weighs in at around 225. She is just a little bigger than the rest.

Jim
01-25-2013, 12:01 PM
Airborne, got the photo transferred with help from my son, the IT, in SC.

x101airborne
01-25-2013, 12:08 PM
Thank you Jim! This was taken with my cell phone (Samsung Rugby Smart). And it has about a 3 second delay between button push and actual photo. So with them running around all over, I kinda missed the largest part of the group. I have more photos on my phone, I will see if I can get em to an e-mail and move them over.

DABULLMAN
01-25-2013, 12:10 PM
wish i lived a little closer to help u every day, i am off all winter mostly and get bored. your everyday doing is what i enjoy , shooting pigs, yotes, and eating good..lol. i should plan trip to see you and help u out, i know i tried here last year but both my wife and dads wife were 7 and 8 months into there due dates if u know what mean. let me talk to the old man i might just take u up on visit, Thanks

DABULLMAN

DABULLMAN
01-25-2013, 12:12 PM
WOW they look like some tasty piggies....

marshall623
01-25-2013, 12:26 PM
A snout catcher might work if you can get it on them . You get that locked down and you will bring them into submission

Bulldogger
01-25-2013, 03:33 PM
I agree with the suggestion to SELL the rights to go in. Give the old Huck Finn treatment, walk around the neighborhood about how EASY and FUN it is to rassle a hog out'n that trap for eatin. Tell them you can't get enough of it, why, you saved some for tomorrow, just so's not to have all the fun in one day. And the meat, it's just the icing on the cake. Tasty and sweet, why it BBQ's itself almost.

Then let them convince you to pay for the privilege. "For another $5 you can have that big sow, she's a real sweetheart"...

Good luck.

Bulldogger

John Allen
01-25-2013, 04:56 PM
Vent away I enjoy a good story.

I don't mean to be a whiney butt, but.... I just needed to vent and thank you all for listening.
No, I did not get a thank you for the pork.
And if nothing else, I did make a new memory of my family, so it is worth it. I will laugh it off tomorrow.
I will especially laugh it off on Saturday when my sister comes to help me with the rest. This is gonna be fun.
THAT is my sanctum.

x101airborne
01-25-2013, 05:19 PM
594925949059491Hey! I got the pics figured out!

10 ga
01-25-2013, 05:24 PM
You're 35 and dad is how old? Unless he could ring my bell, I'd have pulled out the old Nylon 66 and had them laying real still in the trap before touching them. If they are as bad as claimed a little dead pig smell and blood wouldn't keep them out of the trap, probably even help draw more in. Dad is 91 and I'm 63 and he still tries to run things but I do it my way now! Very often now he tells me what I'm doing wrong and backwards and my response is "don't like it? I'll leave and you pay somebody else to do it" then he leaves me alone and the job gets done. He was tough so I've gotten tough too, I always tell him it's his fault, LOL.

km101
01-25-2013, 05:35 PM
The reality TV show has already been done! There was one that had a couple of women trapping nuisance hogs. Didnt last long, only about 6 shows! But yours may be better! LOL

x101airborne
01-25-2013, 05:36 PM
Dad will turn 60 in March.

Bodydoc447
01-25-2013, 06:04 PM
That is absolutely the nastiest looking coyote I have ever seen!

594925949059491Hey! I got the pics figured out!

Goatwhiskers
01-25-2013, 06:54 PM
Yeah, but them honey hog catchers was a lot better lookin' than the airborne guys ever will be. I will say the snout catcher is a real winner, pen looks a trifle large, guess someone would stir them by the man catching them. GW

arjacobson
01-25-2013, 06:54 PM
same here!!!
I'm sorry, that story is hilarious. I'm laughing with you . . . :) honest

Olevern
01-25-2013, 06:56 PM
Man, that's some fine looking eatin' right there! Here's my plan: inasmuch as ya can't eat that many all at once, and that many pigs also probably won't fit in the freezer (unless ya got a walk-in), I'd leave all but five or six in there, throw some corn in every couple days, then go and collect another batch when I et up the one's I took home. Eventually, problem will be solved. (but dad might not be happy)

x101airborne
01-25-2013, 07:07 PM
In Cuero, the town about 15 miles away, they call those hairless yotes "Chupacabras". Seriously. Look it up. We even had Bobo and the Monster Quest crew here for a week.

geargnasher
01-25-2013, 07:08 PM
Sorry, Trey, I was having a bad day myself yesterday, had two wisdom teeth hacked/chiselled out, so I didnt' even get your picture message until turning on my phone a bit ago. I'm too doped up to transfer it right now anyway, but I'm sorry you had such a time, tell your old man to buy some darts and secostrum or however it's spelled if he doesn't want to bleed the buggars in the trap, you're going to miss those herniated disks when they rupture. I'm going to call you when I get sobered and healed a bit from this, so hang tight man.

Gear

scottiemom
01-25-2013, 08:16 PM
sorry- but this made me laugh! bad day here too - first the dishwasher dies then today the hot water heater decided to stop heating water. it is 15 degrees outside. thanks for making me smile today!!

DIRT Farmer
01-25-2013, 09:47 PM
Heck Trey, only 60 and having the kid rassal the hogs, Tomorrow I am going to explain to my little brother with his bad back why he needs to get a loading chute once again when I hustle my 63 year old butt down to his place and toss two of his American mule foot hogs in the back of his truck to go to the packer. Admitedly they are not ferel hogs but things can get exciting.

oneokie
01-25-2013, 09:56 PM
sorry- but this made me laugh! bad day here too - first the dishwasher dies then today the hot water heater decided to stop heating water. it is 15 degrees outside. thanks for making me smile today!!

Did Jim forget to stoke the fire in the stove, or did he refuse to refill the water pot?

Artful
01-25-2013, 09:59 PM
Glad you survived you chemical attack, hog attacks and assorted mayhem.

Hamish
01-25-2013, 11:12 PM
Dude, you are going to have to add a chute to that pen. There has got to be a way to refine the system so you don't have to beat yourself to death.

x101airborne
01-25-2013, 11:55 PM
Thanks all. I kinda felt bad about even spilling everything out like that, but yall are my extended fam, so there it is.
We are here at the home ranch tonight, kicking back listening to the yotes, having a small (relative to a nuke) drink.
Took the oldest boy out a while ago with the night vision and let him shoot twice at a couple hogs, probably boars hanging around the trap. He missed, but that is ok. Had a good time. Good family time is the best. Showed the wife the hogs left in the trap. And.... proceeded to get my butt eaten again for getting in the trap with them.
Ah, what the heck. Ya gonna get your butt eaten for something.

All my best to Gearnasher and MrsGearnasher after the dentist got done with him. I aint there yet, but only cause Im putting it off.

Hamish
01-26-2013, 12:02 AM
Quit apologizin'!! You give those of us who have been there a reminder of things we miss, and give those that haven't a glimpse into a different walk of life.

And you durn well know that we all have a good laugh at the thought of your gimpy butt flopping around trying to snag them.

Artful
01-26-2013, 12:17 AM
check out chem attack thread I put up so you don't gas yourself.

Katya Mullethov
01-26-2013, 12:30 AM
Brewdude has some words on that from chopperdom , phosgene is serious biznitch , no matter how you generate it . The Japanese generally can't shoot themselves and they are all over it .
http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

People clean molds with brake cleaner all the time . Don't get impatient .

CLAYPOOL
01-26-2013, 01:45 AM
I told'em to bring that sow around the building again I'D show'em how to "Head her'. After she knocked me on my *** in the hog **** and half melted snow the OLD Man asked me"Hey big boy you wants us to bring her around again"?...some people are just smart *****...

x101airborne
01-26-2013, 10:10 AM
Yuup, some people are. One thing I hate wrestling is a hog.
My sister will be here in about an hour to get the rest of the hogs out. Anyone have a camera?

Olevern
01-26-2013, 11:00 AM
My sister will be here in about an hour to get the rest of the hogs out. Anyone have a camera?

Trey,
I would love to meet your sister and see her in action when I come down, however, just in case my short term memory doesn't remember this thread, remind me NOT to mess with her!

Gun-adian
01-26-2013, 01:46 PM
Wow!!! After reading that, I need a drink!!! Hat's off to you, sir. You're a better man than I.

TXGunNut
01-26-2013, 02:17 PM

Wish her luck, sounds like fun. You're getting all this on video, right?

Idaho Mule
01-26-2013, 04:54 PM
Sounds like a tough day at the ranch. I would sure like to kill a pig or two but I dang sure don't wanna wrassle any-seems to me a man could get hurt. Hang in there and keep pluggin' away. By the way, don't cuss the old man too bad as one day he won't be there. I batted heads with mine for 53 years and lost him last year. Not a day goes by that I don't think of him. Have a couple shots, get showered up and a good nights sleep and tie into it the next day, take care. JW

jaysouth
01-26-2013, 11:05 PM
You definately need to figure out how to build a squeeze chute so you could sedate them and get them on a truck.

TXGunNut
01-26-2013, 11:38 PM
Around here they pay good money for them on the hoof, +1 on the squeeze chute. You only have so many friends with freezer space and who wants to butcher & package wild piggies all day?

x101airborne
01-27-2013, 03:36 PM
596295963059631Well, the recuperation can commence.

grullaguy
02-19-2013, 10:22 PM
You folks are bred and raised to be tough down there. I look forward to raising a glass with you Trey. That was one heck of a day!

jondavis0904
02-19-2013, 10:49 PM
don't know if it has been said, I don't want to read through 3 pages of posts, but i trap hogs also. I do shoot them in the pen and then pull them out. The blood and what not from a dead hog in the pen doesn't keep the others away. just wanted to add my .02

Area Man
02-20-2013, 07:17 AM
As someone city born and raised that actually sounds like a fun day.

Thank you for your service!

Wayne Smith
02-20-2013, 08:43 AM
As someone city born and raised that actually sounds like a fun day.

Thank you for your service!

And a guy country born and bred says it looks like darn hard work, all day!

x101airborne
02-20-2013, 09:27 AM
Thanks guys. Glad to see folks getting to read these threads.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
02-20-2013, 06:40 PM
see what you need to do is get a line of guys each willing to pay you to take a shot a pig running out of your trap

never had a pig trap but we had a lot of fun with coons . open the trap and let it out then shoot it , it sounds more sporting than it is they don't run all that fast but it's like poor mans skeet shooting, you do of course get to say that you gave them a sporting chance.

the dog finding a skunk , that never fail to happen when you are so tired your ready to drop.