PDA

View Full Version : Chambering for Nagant Revolvers????

JohnH
07-28-2005, 07:07 PM
Was at the gunshow Saturday and a fella had a display box full of Nagants. Info card said they shot 32 SW Long. Hmmmmmm....That sounds interesting....Got home and dug through a loaned copy of Shotgun News and find Nagant Revolvers....shoot 32 HR Magnum. Are these conversions of the orignal chambering or does it just so happen that the 32 SW Long/HR Magnum will work inthe cylinder. Also, there is quite a bit of pressure difference between the Long and the Magnum, is the Nagant really up to the task of the Magnum?

Ridiculous as it may sound to some, years ago I had an H&R revolver in 32 SW Long, a swingout cylinder model, thing shot like a house afire. I used it for a trade against something......that says a lot don't it, can't even tell you what the trade was for but I remember what went.....

I'm thinking one of these Nagants may be a decent play pistol, so can anyone tell me about them and their chambering? Thanks,

Maxthompson
07-28-2005, 10:16 PM
When I got mine the word was wrap one wrap of tape around either one and they're fine. As far as accuracy goes, the trigger pull will make Godzilla shake a little. Neat gun, cheap to buy and everyone should have one, but it's not a target piece. 32 long and 32 HR mag both shot fine through mine.

fwiw,
Mike

Shepherd2
07-29-2005, 01:27 AM
I've shot some .32 H&R Mag handloads in mine without any problem. CBs of course. The cases really bulge without the tape. I believe the InterOrdnance website recommends a specific Federal .32 H&R load for people shooting store bought ammo. There is also a .32 acp conversion cylinder available for about $45. It might require fitting to some frames.

The double action trigger pull on these revolvers is horrendous. Single action is only slightly better so don't expect great accuracy.

If you are interested in reloading for this cartridge there was a lengthy thread in the Castboolits handgun section a few weeks ago. Lots of good info.

9.3X62AL
07-29-2005, 02:04 AM
The Nagant revolver is no target piece, owing to its trigger characteristics. A week ago, I was able to keep most of the hits on a 10" x 10" dinger plate at 35 yards, so it has some possibilities as a small game round. It's no 32 S&W Long though, not by a dern sight.

Ya gotta wonder what the Russians were thinking about, changing out the fine #3 S&W's in 44 Russian for these ungainly contraptions. The Tokarev in 7.62 x 25 wasn't too bad, it is hell on body armor. The 9mm Makarov is sort of a 380 on steroids, not a bad little service round. Now, the Rooskis use a 5.45 x 18 bottlenecked pistol round with a sharp FMJ bullet, this to again defeat body armor. It might do that, but little else after doing so.

The Russians are reading a whole 'nother chapter, for sure.

swheeler
07-29-2005, 03:33 PM
John; I shot 1 box of fed 32 mag ammo thru mine, I was waiting on the brass, dies and mold, it swells the brass EXCESSIVELY! Brass is available as are dies.
Scooter