PDA

View Full Version : Trail Boss vs. Bullseye vs. W231 for .38 Special?

Triggernosis
01-24-2013, 12:07 PM
The recent thread requesting recommendations for a light load for a .38 Special and the resultant recommendation of various powders got me thinking. When would you choose one of the aforementioned powders over the other when loading lead bullets for the .38 Spec.? Such as, does one powder work better for lighter bullets, does one have less "flash", is one dirtier, etc., etc.?

rintinglen
01-24-2013, 12:22 PM
I prefer to meter my powder charges through a powder measure, so my choice is usually predicated on what powder gives me the best accuraccy AND flows well through a powder measure. I generally select ball or small flattenned ball powders as a consequence. Since most of my loading is for cast, and since most lubes smoke a bit, muzzle flash is not an issue. Really though, I use ww-231 or Bullseye in the 38 because they are time proven choices, with scores of years of testing behind them. They work, they work well. "If it ain't broke...."

Harry O
01-24-2013, 01:57 PM
All three work well in the .38 Special for light loads. I believe (at least for me) that Bullseye has the edge on accuracy. 231 meters the best. Trail Boss fills the case more, but I think that is a solution to a nonexistent problem.

rsrocket1
01-24-2013, 01:58 PM
For light loads, I look for a fast powder that generates peak pressure quickly. This expands the case, burns the powder completely and helps the bullet obturate (if necessary) without generating excessive muzzle velocity (recoil). Trail Boss is ideal for this purpose in a cavernous case like the 38 special. The downside of TB is the price.

Red Dot and Clays perform just as well at a lower cost and with a lower volume per grain (higher density), they can be used in smaller capacity cases such as smokeless autoloading cartridges where you need to overcome a minimum recoil limit to cycle the action. For my personal needs, Clays is ideal because I also use it in shotshell reloading. I think you'll find that while Bullseye is claimed to be one of the faster powders, it really falls near Unique/Universal in "speed" and peak pressure generation (almost the same muzzle velocity with about 10-20% less powder).

fouronesix
01-24-2013, 02:11 PM
All the flake powders in the Bullseye speed range act about the same. I don't use ball powders so no comment.
Trailboss is one of those in that fast Bulleye speed range. For me Trailboss meters the most accurately by far of any in that fast flake group. TB is a little more expensive than the others until you double charge a load- then it's the cheapest powder out there. It's virtually impossible to double charge TB in most cases.

ShooterAZ
01-24-2013, 02:48 PM
I also prefer Clays over Bullseye (much cleaner), but Titegroup has also given me outstanding results in 38 Special.

Lizard333
01-24-2013, 03:46 PM
I load 231 exclusively for 38 special. I'm not concerned with a double charge, but love the way it meters through my Dillon. The powder is a good value, and I get more than 2000 loads with my wad cutters out of a pound of powder.

As others have said, it works and is a proven powder.

If it ain't broke, I'm not fixin it.

Triggernosis
01-24-2013, 05:41 PM
So if I've got several lbs. of W-231 already, and want to load a cast 125gr. bullet for child-plinking loads, I should be fine - no need to change powders then?

rexherring
01-24-2013, 06:44 PM
So if I've got several lbs. of W-231 already, and want to load a cast 125gr. bullet for child-plinking loads, I should be fine - no need to change powders then?

Nope, it works just fine. I just loaded another 200 rounds for my friends wife with 125 gr cast and 3.8 grs of HP-38/W231. I always charge all the cases in my loading block and then look into each case with a Mag Light to see if there is any difference in powder height to eliminate a double charge or missed charge. I weigh every 10th round just to check the powder measure.

429421Cowboy
01-25-2013, 12:11 AM
I have only used Bulleseye, but i also know that W231 is a superb powder. My main reason for resisting Trail Boss has been the smaller cans of powder (12 oz?? not sure on that one) at almost the same price as a regular powund of powder.

MtGun44
01-25-2013, 12:21 AM
Cost is a major issue, as is accuracy. I won an 8 lb cannister of Clays, so I am working through that
but at 3 gr per round, 56,000 grains will take a long time to work thru! I have had excellent results
with BE, TG and W231, too. Clays is very clean burning.

Bill

Daddyfixit
01-25-2013, 01:11 AM
I use Bullseye myself, I think they will all work good for you. Just a word about Trail Boss, I bought some to try in 45 colt cowboy loads and I am VERY impressed with how accurate my Dillon works with it. It is hands down throws the most spot on charges of any powder I use.

wrangler5
01-25-2013, 01:59 AM
I use Trail Boss for most of my 38 Special loads - 3.2g for "cowboy" plinking loads and the max 4.2g for IDPA loads (670fps,) both with 158g cast round nose. It may be more expensive than other powders (9 ounces in a "can" instead of 16) but it meters perfectly in my Dillon powder measure and I do not worry about getting too much in the case. I can SEE a Trail Boss load in a 38 Special case in my Square Deal press, and I can NOT see even a double charge with any other powder.

For ME, that's worth the extra cost of the powder, and the low maximum velocities it produces. On those rare occasions when I want to load a hundred or so rounds of something faster I typically use a medium speed powder, charge cases individually in a loading block and inspect each one with a bright light.

cajun shooter
01-25-2013, 10:43 AM
If you are shooting in pistol competition with the 38 special then I can tell you to use 2.7 grains of Bullseye with the Speer 148 grain HBWC.
I loaded all ammo for a 600 man department along with another range officer who loaded the same thing for his department. This was a total of 1200 men.
I have seen perfect 1500 scores shot with this load at PPC matches on more than one occasion. I will also tell you that it is not the cleanest load to shoot.
If you are shooting cowboy matches and using 38 special revolvers then Clays powder with a 140 grain bullet will win many a match with no smoke or messy clean up.
If you have 231 and are just loading fun plinking loads with bullets in the 150 weight class then a load of 3-3.3 grains will give you plenty of fun. No use in changing powders if 231 is already on hand.
The 38 special cartridge will respond in a positive manner to many different powders and that is the reason it is still so popular with the shooting crowd. Later Cajun shooter

prs
01-25-2013, 01:14 PM
When shooting with less experienced or young shooters; TrailBoss has the edge. While maintaining "decent" velocity, the report and recoil are way low. Seems to defy physics to say that, but that is how it shoots. I am not so sure the per charge expense is higher either, you can't get much of it (by weight) in a case. That 12 ounce container is about the same sixe as the 16ounce contains of the others and the one with TB in it will be near brim full, the more traditional powders will usually have some head room in the bottles.

prs

mdi
01-25-2013, 01:56 PM
If I had no experience with a powder (but I use all three mentioned), I would look at one of my reloading manuals and check charge size vs. pressure vs velocity and try to figger the most effecient powder to use. W231 has worked out very good this way for my 9mm shooting...

FWIW and not .38 Special; lately I've been loading my .44 Magnums with Trail Boss. Around 7.0 gr. under a 240-250 gr. LSWC for my revolvers and a 240 RNFP for my Puma. Don't know velocity but my granny could shoot these all day. Fairly accurate too, best so far has been my 7 1/2" Ruger SBH with groups running around 3" @ 30 yds.

Rocky Raab
01-25-2013, 02:20 PM
Some dreary winter's day (like today) thumb through a dozen or two load manuals perusing the .38 Special. You'll discover that what I'm about to say is absolutely true:

You can use ANY of the fastest 25 or so powders on a burn rate chart, dispense 3.0 grains of it and seat any cast bullet from 125 to 158 grains - and you'll have a safe, usable load.

Some may work better than others in a given gun or with a given bullet; all of them will be safe.

Triggernosis
01-25-2013, 05:30 PM
Thanks again, gentlemen.

jiminmo
01-25-2013, 05:43 PM
+1 to bullseye being dirty. I might try clays and see if that’s any better.

dverna
01-25-2013, 06:41 PM
When I saw the cost of TB I decided it was not worth even playing with. For light loads, BE, Clays or W231 are superb choices as they provide accuracy and low cost.

The chance of a double charge is the only factor that would make me consider using TB. I have never had this happen and believe that my method of reloading eliminates that from happening. I use progressive presses for all my pistol loads and on two of them I use a powder check die. One must really work hard at getting a double charge on an auto indexing press. If I "single stage" load, I never use the loading block to hold charged cases. I drop the powder and seat the bullet immediately.

Don

David2011
01-25-2013, 06:52 PM
After shooting heavy loads using 2400 through my Contender, a single light round using W231 leaves it amazingly clean.

David

Triggernosis
01-25-2013, 09:14 PM
... If I "single stage" load, I never use the loading block to hold charged cases. I drop the powder and seat the bullet immediately.

Don
That's a very good idea - I think I'll start doing it too.

fouronesix
01-25-2013, 11:54 PM
I don't use a progressive and will not use one. I single stage load only. But it seems to me anyway that charging and seating one at a time increases the chance for under, over or double charge. By charging all in the loading block, then visually inspecting all the charged cases, then seating the bullets pretty much eliminates under, over or double charges.

rmatchell
01-26-2013, 12:00 AM
+1 on clays. 231 works alot better in the powder measure but is very dirty to me.

sisiphunter
01-26-2013, 01:12 AM
I'm using 231 and unique in my 38s. Keep my clays for 12ga. As for trail boss, I got 2 bottles about 3 yrs ago. One still full and tried 20rds in a 30-30, wasn't impressed so it sit waitin to find a partner now. I'm thinking low velocity low recoil rounds for my son in some rifle.

Dave C.
01-26-2013, 12:54 PM
Bullseye for 38 special auto loaders and WW231 for revolvers.

Why? It just is.

Dave C.