PDA

View Full Version : Liability of selling boolits

wantoutofca
01-23-2013, 03:38 PM
I'm thinking of selling boolits locally to supplement my income. Is there anything I should be aware of in terms of liability? Would a use at your own risk statement cover me? I give boolits to friends for free but I don't know if its different taking money.

fredj338
01-23-2013, 04:14 PM
Well anything you sell that goes into a gun has a liabilty, but pretty hard to blame a bullet for any damage. To be legal, you need an FFL to produce bullets for sale. A general $100K liabilty policy from the NRA is affordable if you want something.

wantoutofca
01-23-2013, 04:34 PM
I would need an FFL to sell cylindrical lead castings? Wow. It's not like its loaded ammo.

HATCH
01-23-2013, 04:45 PM
its a fine line.
For me it would depend on who I was selling them to.
We are talking just BOOLITS. We aren't talking loaded ammo right?
I wouldn't sell loaded ammo but I would sell BOOLITS to some of my friends (provided I could replace the lead)

Wayne Smith
01-23-2013, 04:56 PM
Read the definitions in the law. "Ammunition" is defined as any component of ammunition. Thus to sell bullets is to sell ammunition under the law. An FFL06 costs you all of $10/yr, paid in three year increments. Not really onerous.

joesig
01-23-2013, 04:57 PM
I didn't believe it either when BTSniper mentioned it but yes, need a type 06. Sorry, I didn't find the actual text in my browser history. This will help a little :-(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Firearms_License

Moonman
01-23-2013, 05:03 PM
You have to keep records, AND I BELIEVE AN "EXCISE TAX" is due on all sales.

Don't try to Cheat the FEDS, and you're from CALI, so I'll bet they are MANY OTHER REGULATIONS.

41 mag fan
01-23-2013, 05:49 PM

Don't try to Cheat the FEDS, and you're from CALI, so I'll bet they are MANY OTHER REGULATIONS.

Ya i can think of 2 right off my head..don't feed the Condors and it's a lead free state

Wayne Smith
01-23-2013, 05:56 PM

NO! Excise tax is required only on completed ammunition with new brass. Reloaded brass ammo does not require collecting excise tax, nor does selling components.

quilbilly
01-23-2013, 05:57 PM
You will owe 10% off the top for federal excise tax just like I pay on fishing tackle I manufacture. You pay it with an IRS Form 720.

Finarfin
01-23-2013, 07:01 PM
I wouldn't worry about any of that. Just make and sell some boolits. If you tried to obey the law all the time you would never do anything.

Shiloh
01-23-2013, 07:49 PM
I'm thinking of selling boolits locally to supplement my income. Is there anything I should be aware of in terms of liability? Would a use at your own risk statement cover me? I give boolits to friends for free but I don't know if its different taking money.

You need a license to do this.

Shiloh

Moonman
01-23-2013, 07:56 PM
finarfin,

You get caught and the FEDS, and also the State, want to get nasty, they CONFISCATE YOUR STUFF.

The government can get really wound up at times, they make you a FELON, you can retire from the FORUMS,

YOUR FIREARMS ARE GONE FOREVER, PERIOD!

wantoutofca
01-23-2013, 07:59 PM
[QUOTE= and you're from CALI, so I'll bet they are MANY OTHER REGULATIONS.[/QUOTE]

From us right! I got myself out of there while the getting was good! Got into Wyoming and never looked back.

wantoutofca
01-23-2013, 08:00 PM
So what about giving it away? If that were the case the boolit exchange would be a problem as well. Not sure if it matters but the dictionary definition of manufacture is large scale, not us.

xacex
01-23-2013, 08:13 PM
I could afford the FFL fee, and insurance. It is this that would be cost prohibitive for a home caster "Manufacturers must also register with the State Department under ITAR and pay at least $2,250/year."

PS Paul
01-23-2013, 08:30 PM
and folks wonder WHY it is so hard for enterpreneurs to get started? I tell ya, the restricitons/requirements/roadblocks/fees/taxes/liability ins./health ins./unemployment ins./etc. are so STAGGERINGLY oppressive, it's a miracle ANYONE can stay in business. Add one good lawsuit from some leech, libtard or opportunist and you might as well just pack it in. I speak from experience, running other's businesses for over 23 years now.... then there's theft: internal and external---

But apparently, according to Obummer, "entitlements make us stronger"? He'll get his wish and more and more will be needin' them. He IS right that entitlements make the Democratic VOTE stronger, hence my signature below.........

Finarfin
01-23-2013, 08:33 PM
finarfin,

You get caught and the FEDS, and also the State, want to get nasty, they CONFISCATE YOUR STUFF.

The government can get really wound up at times, they make you a FELON, you can retire from the FORUMS,

YOUR FIREARMS ARE GONE FOREVER, PERIOD! When one of my kids was three she picked up a dove feather in the yard and I yelled at her to freeze and drop the feather immediately, but unfortunately she did take several steps before I could tackle her and take it away. Lucky for her there were no witnesses.
I explained to her that what she had done is a serious crime and that the oppressors could take her away and make her live in prison for a really long time and when they let her out she would be their debt slave and all the money she makes would be taken away from her for a long time. So, believe me, I know how serious the oppressors can be. Hopefully the statute of limitations has passed.

DLCTEX
01-23-2013, 09:13 PM
You're trying to be funny, but substitute Eagle feather and it isn't a joke. Flaunt the law if you want, but it could catch up with you.

dverna
01-23-2013, 09:35 PM
I could afford the FFL fee, and insurance. It is this that would be cost prohibitive for a home caster "Manufacturers must also register with the State Department under ITAR and pay at least $2,250/year."

Correct.

I considered doing the same thing and decided that unless I invested in a fully automatic casting machine and sold a bazillion bullets I could never make any money at it after all the costs/fees/licenses etc.

You may be able to barter some bullets with others but that too is probably "illegal" - just more difficult to get caught.

Finarfin
01-24-2013, 12:22 AM
You're trying to be funny, but substitute Eagle feather and it isn't a joke. Flaunt the law if you want, but it could catch up with you.

I'm not trying to be funny. It isn't just eagle feathers, it is practically every bird that isn't an imported species such as English Sparrow or Starling, and definitely includes doves and other migratory birds. What about my post was a joke? It was merely a different scenario, but largely equivalent. The difference is that everyone thinks it's a joke when it is bird feathers, but somehow if it is a chunk of lead it's really serious business. It's all in your perception.

The point is that everything is against the law, so there isn't much sense in worrying about it. Here in Texas it's against the law to clean a deer with your grandfather and take it home in a cooler. Do you think I'm going to follow that stupid law or make my kids follow it? Absolutely not. What the hell is society coming to when we let our government get away with this nonsense? Especially when it comes to game laws, the only thing you are allowed to do are things you have looked up in the rule book and found are explicitly allowed, which isn't a whole lot. Anything you can think of doing is against the law. It's just ridiculous, and I stopped caring. I refuse to just do nothing because everything is illegal.

jonk
01-24-2013, 10:07 AM
I have on occasion sold some bullets I made, if I didn't have any use for them; but I was a little wary about doing so and we're talking maybe 300 bullets total. I've given about 200 away to very trusted close friends. That's it. I wouldn't ever dream of making and selling them commercially, unless I really wanted to get into it. Think about it. Box suppliers, high volumes of lube, automatic casters and lube machines, etc. We're talking at least a few thousand dollars to get started, plus licensing fees.

1Shirt
01-24-2013, 10:29 AM
Anything dealing with any form of government relates to a money and paper trail. With the paranoia that exists at present with the anti gun crowd, take no chance on any possible missinterpertation of the law. I will give boolits away, but will not sell, it is just not worth taking a chance in todays litigitous society with a lawyer around every street corner.
1Shirt!

Willbird
01-24-2013, 11:47 AM
Read the definitions in the law. "Ammunition" is defined as any component of ammunition. Thus to sell bullets is to sell ammunition under the law. An FFL06 costs you all of $10/yr, paid in three year increments. Not really onerous.But then you have to pay ITAR.

If you produce anything on the munitions list you have to pay ITAR, there is an exemption for the bullet molds but not for making and selling bullets themselves.

http://pmddtc.state.gov/index.html

The fee is something like $2250 a year and MUST be paid by bank transfer, no other payment method is accepted. Ranch Products who makes revolver moon clips got in a bind for not paying ITAR.