PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes you just gotta ask

theperfessor
01-23-2013, 11:22 AM
You take your victories where you can get them. The back story:

Since 2004 or so I have been involved with the conceptual design of a new manufacturing center on our campus. I have helped select the equipment, set some design goals, and assist in any way possible to get this project turned from an idea into a real structure. Don't get me wrong, many other people have been involved over the years, but I've had a vision of what this could be and what it might mean to the University and the community.

For the last couple of months I've been involved with spotting the machinery in the structure and laying out the shop floor. I'll post more about the structure later, along with some pictures. One of the main areas is the High Bay, which is 65' wide and about 150' long, with a 10 ton gantry crane that runs the length of it. There are other labs, offices, etc. in the building.

My department Chair has an American flag on a stand in his office. I asked if it was from the Academy (he is a retired Air Force Colonel) and he said that it wasn't and that it was a birthday gift; the University would not pay for it.

Guys, this struck me as WRONG, that a man who flew over Baghdad in GW1 has to buy his own American flag. And then I realized that the new manufacturing center had no provision for a flag anywhere.

I'm a pretty low key guy in most ways, I just want to do my job and get on with life, but with everything else going on in our nation I decided to do something. I decided that I didn't want a flag for my office, I wanted a flag for the whole building. So I wrote an email to the University President, Dr Linda Bennett. Here is the text:
-----------------
Dr Bennett -

As the construction of the Applied Engineering Center winds down and the installation of the equipment begins, I noticed one item that was missing - an American flag.

This building was designed by proud Americans (many of them are our grads), built by proud Americans, and at least in my case it will be staffed by a proud American. The equipment in the building is primarily American made (whenever it was available) and while all are welcome the majority of students that will use the building are American.

I would like to see the largest American flag available hanging inside the building, where it will be protected from the elements and will serve to remind all who enter who and what we are. Manufacturing is what America does best, and this building should reflect that.

I understand that there are many needs on this campus for money, and that hard decisions must be made in allocating the funds available. I respectfully request that you give serious consideration to this idea, and if the funding is not available please indicate that.

Thanks you for your time and attention to this request, it is appreciated.

Cordially,

Keith G Benedict
-----------------
Bless her heart! Within a few minutes I got a polite and favorable response and within a few hours (and it was a Friday afternoon) her request to other University officials to make it happen had worked through four levels of administration and I got an email from the Construction coordinator that a 12' x 18' flag would be ordered and be available in time for the Open House/ building dedication.

I'm working with my Dept Chair on the dedication ceremony - I'd like to raise the flag at one end of the high bay with the crane and then fly it slowly to the other end while the National anthem is played. The flag will then be permanently displayed on the wall at one end. We'll see what happens.

Sometimes you just gotta ask.

oneokie
01-23-2013, 11:31 AM
Good on you.

David2011
01-23-2013, 11:36 AM
Awesome story! Keep us posted, Keith.

alrighty
01-23-2013, 11:44 AM
It is refreshing to hear people "doing the right thing" ever so often.Good call and best wishes for the new engineering center.

P.K.
01-23-2013, 11:46 AM
Very nice!

LUBEDUDE
01-23-2013, 11:47 AM
I'm Proud of you Professor, Your're a Great American and Great role model for us.

Houndog
01-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Good on you Kieth! I'm glad you got to "make it happen!' I was getting ready to suggest maybe us cast boolets members could chip in a few $$$ for the flag and you could hang it on the wall in a place of honor. I'd be more than happy to contribute to such an undertaking.

theperfessor
01-23-2013, 12:06 PM
Great Americans are the ones who have fought and in many cases died for our country. Great Americans are the ones who work their butts off, pay their taxes, and try to raise their kids right. Great Americans know what the Constitution and all the amendments in the Bill of Rights mean.

I'm just a guy that likes to diddle with machines and teach kids a little about engineering and technology.

Edit to add: Houndog, your offer is touching. I know I can always count on the folks here for help. I was ready to make a few phone calls to some friends and dip into my own funds if the University lacked the funding.

I think it's better this way, it establishes a precedent.

01-23-2013, 12:25 PM
Keith,
Though I'll probably never see the flag, you and President Bennett deserve a big thank you, for your efforts and final accomplishment, and should feel proud.

I don't want to hijack this, so will start another flag thread.

Wayne Smith
01-23-2013, 12:41 PM
Keith, this is a big industrial building. Include in the budget a yearly cleaning.

theperfessor
01-23-2013, 12:50 PM
Actually, I'm pushing to have webcams put in the building. I want everybody all over the world to see what we're doing. And one of the cams will be aimed right at the flag.

I want to teach kids how to make the things that will make this country the envy of the world. And we can do it if we can get the government off our backs.

Edit to add: Wayne, your point is well taken.

snuffy
01-23-2013, 02:07 PM
Absodamtively, posolutley awesome Keith! I served under that flag, it makes me mad when somebody disrespects it. Like watching how many remove their hats at a ballgame when the national anthem is played and the flag is unfurled.

SALUTE!

sundog
01-23-2013, 02:15 PM
How's about some pics when it happens?

Good on you!

theperfessor
01-23-2013, 02:20 PM
I'll start another thread later with pics of the building. And when the cams are in I'll post the URL. I want them to be "steerable" remotely with a local override. That way we can lock them to one view if we do a distance ed class and also allow folks to be able to pan, zoom, etc. when they are released.

EMC45
01-23-2013, 04:07 PM
Well done!

41 mag fan
01-23-2013, 05:29 PM
Well houndog beat me to the punch, but i was going to offer to start a fund to get a flag if it was denied by the administration.

Keith I'll be looking forward to taking that tour of the building when it's up and running!!

theperfessor
01-23-2013, 06:22 PM
You're on the A-list my friend. I think even you will be impressed at what we will have to work with.

km101
01-23-2013, 06:29 PM
Great story and a wonderful idea! I think that all too often we forget to display our national symbol. I'm glad that it got included in this project! Keep up the good work!

Blacksmith
01-23-2013, 06:36 PM
Keith

See if you can arrange to have the ceremony, especially flying the flag the length of the building, video taped and put on YouTube. Maybe some students will take up the challenge. It could be a statement for all Americans and an advertisement for the University and the program.

Blacksmith
Retired Manufacturing Engineer

theperfessor
01-23-2013, 06:43 PM
Blacksmith, that is a terrific idea. I've thought about having the campus ROTC unit assist in the flag raising. I will bounce these ideas off our Dept Chair.

Valley Forge
01-24-2013, 04:09 AM
Attaboy Keith.

Jal5
01-24-2013, 08:22 AM
Nice work Keith. I really like the YouTube idea. We need more good examples like this for people to see. Joe

shdwlkr
01-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Keith
Great news and I am amazed that some still know what that flag means
Yes the ROTC should raise the flag after all some of them might just one day be draped by it.

While in the military I saw way to many flag draped coffins and was part of way to many final good byes and now to watch the country debate one of the rights of the Bill of Rights just upsets me more then words can ever convey.

cbrick
01-24-2013, 12:26 PM
By the time I finished reading your letter to Dr. Linda Bennett I had convinced myself of one of two outcomes. One that you had dug into your pocket to purchase the flag or that the school refused to allow the flag. That you did good is quite the understatement. A big thank needs to be said to Dr. Bennett also.

But what you deserve even more credit for is teaching our youth the value of the flag and the value and pride of "American Made".

Thanks Professor, America needs more just like you.

Rick