PDA

View Full Version : Got my first boolit casting equipment in.

AmishWarlord
01-23-2013, 09:12 AM
Got some stuff in the mail yesturday.

A Lee Pro-pot 20

For my first mold I got the Lee 552gr. SWC in .452

Still need to get a smelting pot and set up a casting station outside.

Beau Cassidy
01-23-2013, 09:15 AM
It looks like you are well on your way.

shooter1
01-23-2013, 09:56 AM
Nice, can I ask where you got them from. I need to start buying some as well.

popper
01-23-2013, 10:28 AM
Is that a teflon coated spatula? Get a slotted SS spoon from Wally world for $1. Teflon won't take the heat. I use a small cast iron ashtray-skillet for a drip pan under the spout, it has a handle so I can put the drippings back in the pot. Use 2 cycle synthetic oil for the pins and sprue pivot and handle pivot. Use non-chlorinated brake cleaner,then comet and hot water for mould cleaning. Preheat the mould on top of the pot or on a hotplate. You can just pour with the sprue open to heat the mould, when the wrinkles go away, close the plate and pour. When the sprue puddle goes frosty looking (hardening), cut the sprue with a gloved hand. Then open the mould. The sprue pivot screw on those Lees won't take much hammering on the sprue to open, cut early till you get used to it. You need sawdust for fluxing and some high temp thermometer. I use heavy leather work gloves, cheap and replaceable. Long sleeves and long pants, shoes. You're ready to go. I don't do WW much but use a SS 4 qt kitchen pan and a MAPP torch when I do.

1Shirt
01-23-2013, 10:31 AM
Looks like a good start. Wish I had had that nice a set up when I started over 50 years ago.
1Shirt!

docone31
01-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Ok, now that you have your goodies.
Make the primary melt outside of the pot! Keep it clean, it will be happy that way. Second, the handle on the side, there is a guide screw for it, in the handle. It loosens up with heating and cooling cycles. Keep it tight. It will show up as the handle gets harder and harder to move up and down. You won't need that flipper, you will need an old narrow screw driver to scrape dross off the bottom of the pot from time to time. Even with clean alloy it picks up stuff.
The spout.
It will drip on occasion, especially on start up. Not much to do about that except to turn it clockwise to clear the seat. Do that every shut down.
I keep Kitty Litter on my melt. It breaks down with use and picks up the crud on the melt. Occasionally use some vegetable oil to flux the melt. If you stir the melt, any Kitty Litter will float back up picking up particles. When I cast, I water drop. I can put rejects directly on the Kitty Litter. As they get hot, the water evaporates, then they melt back into the pot.
DO NOT LET ANY MOIST LEAD HIT THE SURFACE OF THE MELT!
I have had mine for years and it started dripping just recently. Once you get used to it, it does quite well. I run mine on 8-9 and it does the job. If there is any sculpture on start up, when you feel like it, just pick it up and plunk it in.
I am very happy with my pot. In time, I want to mount one above a lower pot so I can recharge cleaner alloy.
In time.
You should do well with that pot.
Look to yard sales for a cast iron pan. You can alloy there. I use a stainless soup ladle to make ingots. One ladle should make one ingot.

AmishWarlord
01-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Nice, can I ask where you got them from. I need to start buying some as well.

I got this stuff from MidwayUSA. The flipper is from my wife where I told her to pick me up a slotted spoon at Walmart.

The Pro-pot 20 cost me $57 with my birthday discount.

Can't wait to see how much this dirty old used one I saw on ebay goes for.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170975896618?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I saw some 45 mold on ebay. They where $9.95. Used, old, beat up, dirty. But they are half price so I was going to buy them. They sold for $32 so I just ordered some new ones from Midway for $20 instead.

shooter1
01-23-2013, 11:00 AM
Thanks, I will check it out.

I got this stuff from MidwayUSA. The flipper is from my wife where I told her to pick me up a slotted spoon at Walmart.

The Pro-pot 20 cost me $57 with my birthday discount.

Can't wait to see how much this dirty old used one I saw on ebay goes for.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170975896618?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I saw some 45 mold on ebay. They where $9.95. Used, old, beat up, dirty. But they are half price so I was going to buy them. They sold for $32 so I just ordered some new ones from Midway for $20 instead.

AmishWarlord
01-23-2013, 11:06 AM
Looks like a good start. Wish I had that nice a set up when I started over 50 years ago.
1Shirt!

Thanks. I've been reading allot on this. Been getting lots of info. I'm glad Cast Boolits is here. It's always good to learn from people who are good at it.

shooter1
01-23-2013, 11:09 AM
are you only casting or are you goint to swage as well?

AmishWarlord
01-23-2013, 11:16 AM
As for safety gear, I got the full face shield on Harbor Freight for $12 and I have leather gloves and apron already from welding. Bought ten cotton long sleeve shirts from a dry cleaner for $10.00 and I'm going to build a casting station outside.

AmishWarlord
01-23-2013, 11:23 AM
I looked into swageing but thought it was too damn expensive. $1,200 for a set of dies? Really?

So instead of swageing I'll just make copper aloy bullets on a CNC lathe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XkFTI5O4Pk

When 3-D printer technology comes down in price then I'll just print out jacketed bullets and cases on a multi-metallic printer as I need them. I'll still cast lead boolits into for the fun and nostalgia of it rather than print them but I'll print my molds.

Cast Boolits should make a databace of files for old mold styles so people can print them. :)

blackthorn
01-23-2013, 12:37 PM
All you need for a smelting pot is an old 20lb propane bottle, cut off at whatever hight works best for you. Just screw out the valve, fill with water and cut out a piece of the top. Drain the water, mark the tank at the hight you choose and use a "zip-cut" (angle grinder?) to cut it off.

AmishWarlord
01-23-2013, 02:58 PM
OK your like the 10th person to suggest the cut off propane tank.

Won't it be dangerous for a newbie at working with molten metals to melt up 150 pounds of lead?

I'd rather deal with small 20 pound batches to start out with. I think a small 4qt. steel pot will do the job.

blackthorn
01-24-2013, 01:50 PM
Just cause you have the space---dont mean you have to fill it to the top. The extra space is useful when you dump in a bunch of raw WW with clips, and assorted junk. You lose a lot of "bulk" on the first skim! Have fun!

Lizard333
01-24-2013, 03:57 PM
Get the tank. You won't regret it. You will have a larger batch of lead that is all the same alloy and you will get more consistant casting from pot to pot. Also, if you ever mix your own alloys, you will be glad to have the extra room.

BTW, 1200$ may seem a little steep for a swaging setup but when you think of the time and effort that goes into those dies it is a good deal. Plus, you can't even buy 223 boolits now. You can swage all you want for next to nothing out of 22LR cases. There's no shortage at my household, no matter what the political climate holds.

AmishWarlord
01-24-2013, 08:47 PM
Noticed something today.

Premixed boolit lead $2.09 a pound. So for 1,000 250gr .45s it would cost $75 just for the lead not including shipping.

Two 500ct boxes of 250gr .45s at the gun shop. $80

Now I see why everyone here dumpster dives for lead.

AmishWarlord
01-27-2013, 06:36 PM
Cast my first batch of boolits today.

Thanks to this great site and all the help from you guys in making my move into casting successful!