PDA

View Full Version : aged brass?

mrblue
01-23-2013, 04:25 AM
My question for the night is this.....i know of a lake that during wwll was used as a testing area gor piolets. They used a well known area of this lake to do fly bys.....with their guns at a target. I highy doubt the army would have sent up anyone to clean up meaning there could be a gold mine of brass just inches under the lake surface. So would this brass still be salvagable? or just a neit war relic. I do know fishermen have found practice bombs in the area too. Thanks also its gresh water not salt

mrblue
01-23-2013, 04:27 AM
Also sorry for the mistakes. This was done off my phone

Beau Cassidy
01-23-2013, 09:16 AM
The brass will likely be too corroded for use. About the only thing it would be good for is to sell for scrap. It would have to be cleaned of mud for that.

nhrifle
01-23-2013, 11:05 AM
Might be kind of neat to give a bunch of it a Lemishine bath and a quick tumble and display as WWII relics.

Wayne Smith
01-23-2013, 05:10 PM
WWII brass from airplanes will all be 50 cal. There are gobs of that stuff around. How do you prove this piece came from a WWII airplane and that piece didn't??

Recluse
01-23-2013, 07:30 PM
WWII brass from airplanes will all be 50 cal. There are gobs of that stuff around. How do you prove this piece came from a WWII airplane and that piece didn't??

Shoot, that's easy, Wayne.

You simply sell it on Ebay as "vintage WWII aircraft ammo brass" and include a little printed letter of authenticity with it. Probably be able to auction off individual pieces for as high as $200 each.

Where did the OP say this lake was at again? :-D Might be worth a group road trip.

:coffee:

Olevern
01-23-2013, 11:04 PM
Sounds like Laurel Lake in S. Jersey. There is a nice WWII museum nearby in Millville at the airport they used to fly out of. Drew down the lake a few years ago and discovered a complete P47 fighter plane. You can see one of the 50 cal machine guns that came off it in the museum.

http://www.p47millville.org/

mrblue
01-24-2013, 05:47 AM
I didnt lol aint giving up my hunny hole

beagle
01-24-2013, 01:15 PM
There are loads of similiar honey holes around the county if you could get access but most are on military reservations. I know of several places on Ft Bragg that were old .45 ranges during the war. They're inactive now but the .45 slugs are piled up covering the ground. If only......../beagle

mrblue
01-24-2013, 04:24 PM
Well my hunny hole is open to the public, im thinking i might look around the area for lead where they had a point of focus for the target But i also have to wait for warmer weather.....and less ice!

DLCTEX
01-24-2013, 11:41 PM
When I was a kid in the 1950's we lived at Ft. Stockton, Tx. for a while and there was an area that had been a practice range that was littered with 50 cal. bullets. I had a large number of them for years, don't know what happened to them after I left home.