PDA

View Full Version : Good morning all

SwanShot
01-22-2013, 09:27 PM
I'm an Australian guy and I'm using the same user name as elswhere, so if any of you know me, Hi guys.
I've just started out in muzzle loading with a three band Enfield Cal 58. It's Euroarms American repro.
When I first tested fired it, prior to buying it shot really well with the blootis cast by the seller.
The moulds came with the gun, and I set about casting my very first lead (pure) Minies.
You guessed it, shot all over the place using the same 60 grns of fff powder that i shot while testing it. I mean like a 4 ft group at 100 yds, with the odd flyer out to 6 ft. I'm an experienced shooter, so while admitting that I'm not the best shot on earth, I'm not that bad.
Boolit weight varied 7 grns either side of the mean weight of 495 grns. Lube was 30% bees wax and 70% microcrystaline which seemed to work a treat.
I have a lot to learn.:)
Could somebody perhaps point me to a step by step instructions manual for dummies?

runfiverun
01-22-2013, 10:18 PM
unfortunatly,there is no blue print.
i'd begin by finding out the alloy the previous owner used.
boolit diameter can make all the difference.

and welcome aboard
airc one of our other members just got one of these.

MtGun44
01-23-2013, 12:21 AM
Start with lower charges of a coarser powder if you can get it. FFF is a bit finer than is
commonly used with large bore rifles, although it can work, it is usually used in pistols.

My guess is that you are blowing out the bases as they exit the bore from too much pressure
for the particular design and alloy of boolits. Lower charge may not blow out the bases
and is easy to do.

Another approach would be to keep the same load and try a harder alloy like WWt alloy, if
it is available.

Bill

SwanShot
01-23-2013, 01:16 AM
unfortunatly,there is no blue print.
i'd begin by finding out the alloy the previous owner used.
boolit diameter can make all the difference.

and welcome aboard
airc one of our other members just got one of these.
I just phoned the previous owner and he said that the mold that he gave me is not the one he uses.
What he gave me is a Lee aluminum. The one he uses is a Lyman steel mold. He reckons the Lee mold can't be relied on to cast consistant quality because it heats and cools quickely.
Does that sound real to you, or is he just blowin?

Start with lower charges of a coarser powder if you can get it. FFF is a bit finer than is
commonly used with large bore rifles, although it can work, it is usually used in pistols.

My guess is that you are blowing out the bases as they exit the bore from too much pressure
for the particular design and alloy of boolits. Lower charge may not blow out the bases
and is easy to do.

Another approach would be to keep the same load and try a harder alloy like WWt alloy, if
it is available.

Bill

Thanks for the welcome guys .
I don't know why I thought this would be easier than loading for centerfire rifle, but ok I know the drill, change one thing at a time.

runfiverun
01-23-2013, 01:37 AM
lee molds can turn out good boolits.
controlling the mold temp is critical, no matter what the mold is made from.
the design cut into the mold is what matters when it goes into the rifle.
i think you'll either be starting from scratch or looking for a lyman mold just for the design not because of what the metal it's made from.

sav300
01-23-2013, 06:36 AM
Hi SwanShot,welcome

LtFrankDrebbin
01-23-2013, 06:47 AM
G'day SwanShot,
I'm no use to yah mate cause I don't shoot smoke poles (yet)
But welcome aboard. It's a good site to be tangled in here.
Also check our locations, it's a small world. :drinks:

SwanShot
01-23-2013, 07:52 AM
Well there ya go:drinks:

44man
01-23-2013, 09:06 AM
Welcome SwanShot!
Bill has the answer, the powder is too fast and also too much. You turn the Minie' into a shuttle cock at barrel exit. I did a lot of work on those long ago that friends owned. Many would not hold paper at 50 yards. I found the Minie' balls were too small so I lapped the molds so the ball fit the bore tight, kind of of force fit when loading to engrave the rifling.
Even though the skirt expands to seal it still lacks guidance.
We went from zilch to being able to ring the gong at 200 meters. We used 50 gr of FFG.
You need a very thick skirt for more powder.

shdwlkr
01-23-2013, 03:42 PM
SwanShot
First if all you can get is 3F powder back it down to around 45 grains as when using 3F instead of 2f which is normal in such a large caliber back the charge off by 10-15% and you will do ok.
Second that minie needs to be a close fit so it takes a little effort to push down the barrel.
Third if you have a Lee 1 or 2 mold set of blocks they can be all over the place in size from to small to way to big just what happens with Lee molds. Now their 6 cavity comerical molds seem to be made better for some reason
If funds are tight you can patch the mini to take up the extra space left by the too small mini.

When shooting black you have to think sometimes how to cheaply fix and issue and sometimes you just have to bite the bullet so to speak and get a new mold, change powder, change the charge, adapt to what is available.
Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Welcome to the group

lmcollins
01-23-2013, 08:07 PM
I havent fired a minnie since the mid 70's when I sold my Navy Arms Buffalo Hunter. But, I wonder about trying a different lube.

No matter what I did I found that good old Crisco vegtable shortening was the best thing. All of this wax business makes me think. Microcrystiline? How hard is the stuff you are useing? Get a small can of cheap shortening, and try shooting it again. I think that this would be the cheapest and easiest thing for you to try. A generic shortening from the smallest can possible from the grocery store. It''s soft!

Good luck

smoked turkey
01-24-2013, 01:18 AM
Welcome SwanShot. I totally agree that reduced charge of FFg will be a good place to start. I personally only use soft lead in any boolit that touches the rifling such as the Mini or Maxi variety. Especially if it engraves the rifling on the way down.

rintinglen
01-24-2013, 05:51 PM
You lube sounds wrong to me. I'm not sure what "microcrystaline" is, but I used Crisco and later LPG (IIRC) which are much softer.