PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I be dummie

docone31
01-22-2013, 04:16 PM
A question on sight movement.
To lower the impact, I file the rear sight notch?
I ask this as my buckhorn has no sight point, just a groove on the back side and the front is flat.
I have vision issues anyway, so I am fighting with my sights.
I can either file my front sight, or notch the rear, either up or down.
Right now, my front sight is waaaay too tall. .400, but my rear sight is adjustable with no notch.
If I file a notch, then I raise the sight a couple of clicks.
Am I on track?

fouronesix
01-22-2013, 04:36 PM
Currently, with the front sight tight on the rear blade is the POI elevation on target where you want it?

If it is then, filing a notch in the rear will only help with consistent windage hold and be about the same POI elevation assuming your preferred sight alignment has the top of the front sight level with the top of the rear blade.

If you file down the front you'll have to lower the rear to maintain the same POI elevation on the target.

I'd lower the rear sight assembly first. Then cut the rear notch and tweak the rear notch until you get a good consistent sight picture. Then lastly, file the front to set the POI elevation.

rhbrink
01-22-2013, 04:38 PM
To lower the impact you need to lower the rear sight. Whether that is by adjustment or filing either way will work. The only way to lower impact with the front sight is to raise the front sight.

RB

curator
01-22-2013, 09:45 PM
With patridge style sights lowering the notch won't do anything since your front sight should be level with the top of the rear-sight notch. Filing down the rear sight top edge may help. Otherwise get a taller front sight. To lower the point of impact you lower the (whole) rear sight or raise the front sight or shoot a lighter bullet.

docone31
01-22-2013, 09:53 PM
It is clicking in. Like duh...
I have been firing it at 100yds, and there has been no "sign" even on the bank. I suspect the ball has gone over the top of the berm. Patch looks good, good shot. No marks.
Now I am getting an idea of how to fix it. It is not like ordinary sights. I can raise the rear sight, or file the front sight. It is hard to not be able to look down the breech to get an idea of where it goes.
I got hope now.

mooman76
01-22-2013, 09:56 PM
I'd just get a taller front sight and file it to where it needs to be but that's just me. If it's just dovetailed it's easy to replace.

fouronesix
01-22-2013, 10:20 PM
I may be dense but still not following this. If your front sight is tall at .400" and the rear sight is adjustable then... just adjust the rear sight all the way down, put a large target at 25 or 50 yards and see where the bullets are hitting. Then if still hitting too high either change out the rear sight to one that has a lower minimum setting or add a taller front whichever is more to taste.

rhbrink
01-23-2013, 08:30 AM
+ 1 on what fouronesix says.

RB

KCSO
01-23-2013, 10:11 AM
Move the REAR sight in the direction you want the bullet to go, move the front sight in the opposite direction. On a buckhorn if you sight with the blade or bead down in the groove lower the groove iif you sight with the blade even with the top of the groove file there.