PDA

View Full Version : Grandson gets a hog

carpetman
07-15-2007, 02:35 AM
My grandson got a hog yesterday with the .308 I gave him. He was using 150 grain jacketed bullets that I loaded for him. One shot through neck. When they approached him,it raised his head so my son inlaw put a cast bullet from a .357 mag through it's head. That was grandsons 8th shot with the .308. 2 at a can for practice---2 8 pointers, a 10 pointer,an axis deer and the hog.

Lloyd Smale
07-15-2007, 04:51 AM
congradulations to him its allway good to here a kid is getting hooked on this!! Id be in heaven if we had free ranging hogs up here!
My grandson got a hog yesterday with the .308 I gave him. He was using 150 grain jacketed bullets that I loaded for him. One shot through neck. When they approached him,it raised his head so my son inlaw put a cast bullet from a .357 mag through it's head. That was grandsons 8th shot with the .308. 2 at a can for practice---2 8 pointers, a 10 pointer,an axis deer and the hog.

38-55
07-15-2007, 08:45 AM
Carpetman,
That's great ! Let me know who stops grinning first you or him ! I just love to hear about the young hunting, brings back a lot of good memories..... Thanks !
Calvin

Ranch Dog
07-15-2007, 12:41 PM
Good on all three of you! Great times!

Most of the times we cuss those hogs, that is until they aren't around and then we miss them. I don't know what a fellow shoots at if they don't have hogs? A skunk or rabbit just isn't the same!

carpetman
07-15-2007, 01:22 PM
Ranch Dog--What do you do with the large boars you shoot?

Ranch Dog
07-15-2007, 09:53 PM
I always eat them one way or another. Once the hide is of a big boar they really aren't that bad. The are a couple of smokehouses in the area and usually they end being made into some type of "dry" sausage or meat so that I can eat them on the run.

This fellow that I shot in May...

http://www.ranchdogmolds.com/TLC460350RF/TrophyRoom/Hog01_051707B.jpg

... is serving our country in Iraq! I had the Country Slaughter House in Victoria smoke him into snack sticks that are vacuum packed and do not require refrigeration. I don't think we are supposed to ship pork products over there but hey, screw 'em. My son passes them out. They get a flat rate box of them every 10 days. These sticks are particularly good so I'm skimming a few from the shipment to carry to work with me.