PDA

View Full Version : Checkin In...

dk17hmr
07-15-2007, 01:02 AM
I havent been around much lately. But I figured I would check in and tell everyone that cares a little about what is going on.

Got my degree in Architecture and Construction Technology, applied for the Carpenters Union, took the math test, had an interview, got a letter today saying I need to get a drug test because they want me to start my apprenticeship as soon as possible, been working 50 plus hours a week at the cabinet shop and on a few side jobs I have going on and on my uncles farm where I am staying during the week (loving every minute of it), and most importantly I went to the range with my dad this afternoon and shot a 3 shot group that measured 1.485" center to center at 500 yards with my built 25-06.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c324/skruske/500ydmeasure.jpg

The other holes in the target are from my dad and one of his AR-15's fired at the same distance measuring 2.95" center to center, I am putting that target in a frame to hang on the reloading room wall.

On one of the 500 yard walks to check targets my dad mentioned that I didnt seem overly excited about getting the apprenticeship, and I finally got to tell him the truth, that the Union seems like a good deal but I dont want to look back in 20 years and have a regret of not serving my country and that the union might be put on hold, he was pretty much speechless. We will see, need to do some more thinking.

45nut
07-15-2007, 01:15 AM
Kinda speechless myself Doug.
A veteran myself I understand several levels of why that would appeal to anyone, but understand you have decades of time available and certainly a bright future possibility with your degree.

Don't think it's a now or never deal, there will be many wars and conflicts to come. There always will be.......... always has been.
As your dad probably offered council, there are offers available here to come from many of us including myself. Never hesitate to ask.

Jim
07-15-2007, 07:49 AM
Doug,
Sure glad to hear from ya', bud! And glad things are goin' well fer ya'. Congratulations on climbin' that ladder! And that's some d@mn fine shootin', too!

Doug, I wouldn't get in your business, but you kinda' left the door open for me. Your Dad might be scared of loosin' you, bud. I have a son that's 26 and if he told me what you told your Dad, I'd be proud of him, but scared I'd loose him to a roadside bomb in Iraq. Not tryin' to dissuade you, jes' talkin' from a father's viewpoint.

Bret4207
07-15-2007, 08:03 AM
Doug, This war will be going on for a minimum of 2 years IMHO. You have time, and there are plenty of ways to serve. If you really feel the call look around at all the services. They all do a wonderful and vitally important job. Cpl Bret USMC

sundog
07-15-2007, 08:35 AM
'Cpl Bret USMC' offers good advice. Look at all the services. Sometimes a niche appears in a least likely place. You might even find something that will enhance your currently acquired schooling. Serve, do your duty, and when you return to civilian life (in 2 or 4 years,... or 20) you'll not only have your education, but also some experience. One of the best experiences that can be attained is learning to be a team member. CSM sundog (USA, ret)

felix
07-15-2007, 09:30 AM
Becoming a team member? Sundog has that right! Engineering schools encourage teachers to grade on a curve, and that teaches the typical student to be independent and competitive. That needs to be balanced out, and there is no better mechanism than the military to do that. Corporations today mimic the schools to the hilt, and only the rare person can succeed in that environment without changing jobs many times with the hope of becoming a team member rather than a slave in thought. ... felix

Bret4207
07-15-2007, 10:18 AM
Typo on my post. Change "2 years" to "20 years". Sorry.