PDA

View Full Version : For Cbrick, by special request

Jim
01-21-2013, 03:07 PM
Rick, Dolly is a full blooded Walker 'coon hound that we adopted from a rescue service in West Virginia. She was discovered by the mailman wired to an abandoned house and left to die. When she was found, she had been in the snow for about two weeks without food, water or shelter and was self hogtied by the wire she was attached to.

Janet begged me to not train her to hunt with, but to just let her be a lap dog. I agreed and she has excelled at it.

That certainly did not negate her skills or instincts, however. She's a life support system for a nose and it's stays switched on 24/7.

When she's not layin' next to the heater.....

or on the front porch in the summer.....

She can probably be found in my lap on the sofa.

ElDorado
01-21-2013, 03:22 PM
I love dogs and people who love dogs. God bless you and Janet for taking her in.

cdet69
01-21-2013, 03:39 PM
I hope when the time comes the person who did that to her finds themself tied up in the snow. Your hound looks like she excells at hound activities. A full time nose chaser unless it is r&r time then the nose gets a rest. She probably has ears like a bat. I know mine do.

chrisw
01-21-2013, 03:42 PM
with a lapdog like that who needs a heater!

Jim
01-21-2013, 03:46 PM
I hope when the time comes the person who did that to her finds themself tied up in the snow. Your hound looks like she excells at hound activities. A full time nose chaser unless it is r&r time then the nose gets a rest. She probably has ears like a bat. I know mine do.

It wouldn't come to no good for me to catch up with that (ahem!) guy. He'd find himself in a lot worse way than bein' tied up in the snow.

44man
01-21-2013, 04:26 PM
Jim, you have become one of the best ever to me. I have tears about the dog and your love. Can I give you and your wife a long distance hug? I would like to hug the dog too if it is OK.

Jim
01-21-2013, 04:29 PM
I am not due any credit for who I am, what I think or how I live. You have my father to speak to about that. You can find him in St. Andrew's Cemetary on highway 61 in Charleston, SC.

Smitty's Retired
01-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Just like my Grandaddy used to say, Dogs aint pets, they're friends & family.

44man
01-21-2013, 05:05 PM
I am not due any credit for who I am, what I think or how I live. You have my father to speak to about that. You can find him in St. Andrew's Cemetary on highway 61 in Charleston, SC.
A prayer for him and to you and your family too, don't leave out your dog or I will kick you.

chrisw
01-21-2013, 05:33 PM

He may have taught you the way but you still deserve credit for choosing to listening and follow.

shdwlkr
01-21-2013, 06:02 PM
Jim
Now we need to learn tolerance towards those who are stupid with animals don't you know that the king/dictator is here to save one and all.
So with those kind thoughts in mind think of a skinning knife and the person that left that poor animal behind and you have my thoughts on the subject. Just an old country boy at heart and learned that animals are better than people most times

cbrick
01-21-2013, 06:27 PM
Tizzie is a Treeing Walker Coon Hound too. I got her from the Humane Society when she was 8 months old, she had been there for 4 months.

I have to keep her on a chain outside cause my yard isn't fenced. She wouldn't run away cause she's smart enough to know how good she has it but where the nose goes the dog follows. She would be in the next county before she ever knew she wasn't at home. It's an amazing thing to watch that nose working.

She has no idea what a coon is, she's never seen one but she sure knows what a lap is and isn't bashful about letting me know when it's time for me to get in the recliner.

She knows I'm talking about her right now, she says to tell everyone "woof" for her.

Rick

PS Paul
01-21-2013, 06:36 PM
See? THis is just one of the many reasons that Jim is about my favorite on this forum. I'll just bet I'm not the only one who feels this way.

I really like the post last year titled "Strategic Location" where the dog was posted in front of the heater above.

So the folks who left him out in the cold definitely need an a**-kickin', am I right?

Carolina Cast Bullets
01-21-2013, 06:38 PM
I have said it before and I'll say it again

My ambition in life is to be the man my dog thinks I am.

All of you guys are #1. that "person" who left Dolly out, I got my own way
to show my "appreciation".

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets

cbrick
01-21-2013, 06:52 PM
The only place she likes better than this is me in that recliner so she can be on my lap and in front of the fire at the same time.

Rick

DLCTEX
01-21-2013, 06:57 PM
Looks like she has it made now.

Jim
01-21-2013, 07:30 PM
Lord, but what I wouldn't pay to get Tizzie and Dolly together in about ten acres of fence! That would be more fun than any six people could get a permit for!

cbrick
01-21-2013, 08:12 PM
The city here put in about a 1 1/2 acre fenced dog park, I take her up there 2-3 times a week so she can run without a leash, Tizzie just goes nuts playing with other dogs & loves them all. Yesterday the weather was great and there was about a dozen other dogs and Tizzie was just beside herself, couldn't make up her mind which one to play with next. Her best friend is the neighbors lab mix and they tumble & roll around by the hour.

She is just what I wanted in a dog, I spend half of every day from both elbows to my finger tips covered in dog slobber. Seems she can't get enough time to show her love, maybe she remembers when she had spent half of her life in jail. When it's cold out and no fire she sits in front of the fireplace and barks at it. When it's lap time she sits in front of the recliner looking at me barking and pointing at the chair with her nose. She is a lover for sure.

Rick

snuffy
01-21-2013, 09:58 PM
This is arrow;

He seldom gets on the bed when I'm home. Just this one time that I caught him. When I can't take him with me, he roosts there, must be the biggest concentration of my scent in the house.

He was sort of a rescue. By sort of, I mean he was being ignored at his former residence. The owner was my son's--wife's--brother. He had orders to "get rid of him" from his common law wife. She owns the house, so he gave him to me.

We bonded the first day I had him. It's been a love affair since. I live alone, so he's my constant companion. He loves it since I retired, he has me all to himself now, no more separation while I worked.

Some say goldens are the best dogs for their affection. All I have to say about that is; he's the best dog I've ever had. Both in agape/unconditional love and behavior. I can leave food sit out where he COULD get at it, he will not touch it unless I say okay.

He's been over by me from his nest of doggie beds 4 times while I typed this. Just wanted to be stroked and scratched. I got plenty of that, our time with them is so short, never pass up a chance for a belly rub!

pmeisel
01-28-2013, 10:28 PM
We have 5 rescue dogs -- two beagles from a shelter, a bassett that's sleeping next to my feet right now, from a farm where she was neglected, a terrier that was starving when she showed up (that one's poppa's girl), and a delightful little Jack Russell that was still fat and perky when he showed up.... bet someone really misses him.

Ajax
01-29-2013, 06:59 AM
I have a soft spot in my heart for bull breeds. I have had one since I can remember. They are the most loyal/protective and loving dogs i have ever owned. Right now as I type this my boxer pitbull mix is laying at my feet with her head on my feet. Just can't beat that.

Andy

Gliden07
01-29-2013, 07:21 AM
After reading this I really miss my Lab!! I'll get a new pup one of these days. Right now school and obligations take up to much of my time, it wouldn't be fair to a new dog right now. You guys did put a big smile on my face though!!

cbrick
01-29-2013, 07:57 AM
After reading this I really miss my Lab!! I'll get a new pup one of these days. Right now school and obligations take up to much of my time, it wouldn't be fair to a new dog right now. You guys did put a big smile on my face though!!

Being a confirmed bachelor and living alone I couldn’t/wouldn’t get a dog. My normal work day was 16-18 hours and I just couldn’t let a dog sit home alone all day every day. Didn’t take long after I retired for Tizzie to find me though. I’ll not be without a dog ever again.

Rick