PDA

View Full Version : I am a bit disappointed!

1Shirt
01-21-2013, 01:04 PM
I am disappointed that I am not seeing more members of this forum with NRA membership logo's in their Avatar. On a day when we have probably the most anti gun president ever in our history :(being sworn in, the NRA is quite probably gun owners "Last Best Hope", of retaining our traditions. Consider memberships not only for yourselfs, but also for your spouse and your kids if you can afford it.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

garym1a2
01-21-2013, 01:12 PM
Not to sound stupid. But I do know know how to add the logo. I am a NRA member.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-21-2013, 02:16 PM
Gary,
if you click on your logged in user ID on top of the page, (where you go to check you PM inbox)
Click on "UserCP"
then on the left side of the screen, you'll have a bunch of options...near the bottom
click on "Permission groups"
you'll seen NRA near the bottom.
good luck,
Jon

Bad Water Bill
01-21-2013, 02:24 PM
I think we should make the instructions for adding those designations a sticky in OUR TOWN.

I would like to think there are a lot more members here that just have not noticed the new banners or do not know how to get them.

MtGun44
01-21-2013, 02:26 PM
I must have done it wrong - I am a Life Mem and when I thought I selected Life Mem, only
NRA Member showed up. I'll have to go back and see if I can re-do it when I have time, later.

Bill

koehn,jim
01-21-2013, 02:30 PM
I am a member of many groups that I never advertise, you wont find stickers on my car eighter, if you know how Calif. is towards guns you know why.

parson48
01-21-2013, 02:34 PM
Jon B
Thanks for telling us how to get the NRA logo up.

krag35
01-21-2013, 03:27 PM
I'm a member, just never bothered with the logo, will see if it works.

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-21-2013, 03:36 PM
I wanna join up, but I have a problem.
I joined 3 times previously, every time they screwed something up with my membership.
Every time! I don't have much confidence in their financial skills if they cant even keep my 25 bucks or whatever it was , straight.
I hate it when they call you complaining that you haven't paid your dues when I'm staring at the canceled check.
Sorry, my money goes elsewhere (donning flame retardant underwear)
I have sent them donations to the ILA side, but that's it

Bad Water Bill
01-21-2013, 04:22 PM
I must have done it wrong - I am a Life Mem and when I thought I selected Life Mem, only
NRA Member showed up. I'll have to go back and see if I can re-do it when I have time, later.

Bill

First you muust remove the member then you can add life member. I had to learn the hard way.:roll:

44man
01-21-2013, 04:35 PM
I have to see if I got it. I never had enough to become a life member but always belonged to the NRA and now I am too old to consider it.

44man
01-21-2013, 04:36 PM
Yes, it is there, thank you fellas.

Beekeeper
01-21-2013, 05:14 PM
Tell you what 1 shirt.
You find someone one the board of directors of the NRA that will answer my question about them refusing my membership while I served in Vietnam and I will become a life member!
Until then they can go hang it as far as I am concerned.

beekeeper

RoyEllis
01-21-2013, 11:27 PM
I think we should make the instructions for adding those designations a sticky in OUR TOWN.

I would like to think there are a lot more members here that just have not noticed the new banners or do not know how to get them.

Yep, oughta be a sticky for sure cause I had no idea how to add the banners before I saw this thread!

LUBEDUDE
01-21-2013, 11:56 PM
I had no idea about how to add the banner either.
I will give it a go.

1Shirt
01-22-2013, 10:52 AM
Beekeeper, Why don't you e-mail Ted Nugent (he is on the board) and ask him. Bet you would get some action on what probably was an administrative glitch!
1Shirt!

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-22-2013, 12:21 PM
the have no desire to repair any glitch, they just want your money

Able 5
01-22-2013, 12:32 PM
Never really considered it before....added

doctorggg
01-22-2013, 12:41 PM
I had a heck of a time figuring it out. I finally got it but I'm sure I looked and browsed for 30 minutes before I figured it out.

Friends I think it is now or never! I've donated to all 3 of the national gun friendly "fighters."
Even though I had to put this on a credit card I want to be able to say I did my part. doctorggg

cbrick
01-22-2013, 12:55 PM
Tell you what 1 shirt.
You find someone one the board of directors of the NRA that will answer my question about them refusing my membership while I served in Vietnam and I will become a life member!
Until then they can go hang it as far as I am concerned. beekeeper

Have you looked into it since Viet Nam or simply held a 40+ year grudge?

Rick

Recluse
01-22-2013, 01:14 PM
Have you looked into it since Viet Nam or simply held a 40+ year grudge?

Rick

I looked into this issue when Beekeeper first brought it up several years ago. Having worked for them (NRA) and their agency (AMc) in the early 90's and for almost two decades afterward on various freelance and consulting projects, I had a pretty good "in road" all the way to the very top, including several members of the BoD.

Bottom line is that it never happened. The National Rifle Association has NEVER refused membership to ANY United States soldier, sailor, airman, marine, merchant marine, Coast Guardsman or reservist.

For crying out loud, the NRA was begun as a supplemental training organization for our military personnel!

I enlisted two other individuals, one a journalist who would have LOVED to have found out the NRA denied memberships to servicemen serving in Vietnam, and an editor for one of the NRA's publications to research membership records, offers and communications dating back to 1965 to see if indeed, the NRA was denying memberships to Vietnam personnel.

Ironically, I have two uncles who were both in-country and who both joined the NRA from Vietnam. In fact, one uncle had his entire air crew join up while they were in U-Tapao (Thailand). The other was a draftee who signed up when his platoon sgt offered to pay for the memberships. Both of these circumstances happened immediately after 1968 when the NRA did NOT have any political clout because up until then, they were simply a training organization and gun safety/education organization.

A little research will show that the NRA did not seriously enter the political arena until after the Vietnam War had ended, and what's more, even later than that (which actually started during the famous Annual Meeting in Cincinnati).

On occasion, I poll members of our VFW and AmLeg post, some of whom go all the way back to the Korean War and not one has ever remembered being denied or refused ANYTHING from the NRA simply because they were serving in a war zone.

When you have a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist (friend of my wife) digging and digging and whose father served in Vietnam and who couldn't find ANYTHING to even remotely hint at the NRA refusing membership, I'm not really sure what to think.

What I do know and what was well known at the time was that there were a number of radical campus groups employing subterfuge against the Vietnam War and all who were involved in it at all levels. My research including tapping into some old FBI buddies who made a few BTZ inquiries with the Bureau's historians. Whether or not those groups sent false or malicious letters regarding the NRA to our personnel in Vietnam was not known. What was known was that these groups sent letters to our troops calling them vile names, telling them their parents had been killed in a car wreck, that their sisters had been raped, etc. Anything to distract and dismay our personnel over there.

But the NRA refusing memberships to honorably serving service members?

No way.

:coffee:

Bad Water Bill
01-22-2013, 01:29 PM
Welcome back sir. You have been missed.

cbrick
01-22-2013, 01:31 PM
What I do know and what was well known at the time was that there were a number of radical campus groups employing subterfuge against the Vietnam War and all who were involved in it at all levels. My research including tapping into some old FBI buddies who made a few BTZ inquiries with the Bureau's historians. Whether or not those groups sent false or malicious letters regarding the NRA to our personnel in Vietnam was not known. What was known was that these groups sent letters to our troops calling them vile names, telling them their parents had been killed in a car wreck, that their sisters had been raped, etc. Anything to distract and dismay our personnel over there.

But the NRA refusing memberships to honorably serving service members? No way. :coffee:

That makes far more sense than the NRA refusing membership to active service members. It also sounds like instead of looking into it a 40 year grudge is the better option. I mean 40 years, no sense rushing into these things huh?

Rick

Recluse
01-22-2013, 01:54 PM
That makes far more sense than the NRA refusing membership to active service members. It also sounds like instead of looking into it a 40 year grudge is the better option. I mean 40 years, no sense rushing into these things huh?

Rick

Dunno, I've held a forty-year grudge against Jane Fonda with no problem. :)

Deal is, if I'm looking around and seeing four to five MILLION members of the NRA and seeing how many of them are veterans, I'd be following up on something like getting a hate-mail piece allegedly from them during a time in which I was serving our nation.

I'd also question why the majority of other Vietnam vets didn't have the same experience. It was a tiny country and it seems as though everyone knew everyone else's units, regardless of branch of service. What's more, given the blatant BS reception our returning vets got, anyone who piled on would have hate stickers and notes, etc plastering every Vietnam vet forum, bulletin board, e-mail list, etc. There would be NRA signs with the ghostbusters ring around them at every AmLeg and VFW hall in the country and I doubt the NRA would even be acknowledged on any military base.

montana_charlie
01-22-2013, 02:03 PM
I am disappointed that I am not seeing more members of this forum with NRA membership logo's in their Avatar.
I've been an annual NRA member, continuously, since 1967. Thought seriously about a lifetime membership in 1971, but we couldn't afford it, then.
This time (a few weeks ago) I bought a 5-year membership for a hundred bucks because a lady on the phone offered me a discount. If I had known about the $300 lifetime deal, I would probably have gone for it.

But, you don't see the NRA logo by my username.
Some of us peacocks (like me) don't feel the need to spread our tails and show how pretty we are.
I don't wear a bunch of patches on my cap and jacket, and I don't have an STP sticker on my pickup.
I have a few medals from shooting matches, but they don't hang on a wall in a shadowbox of accomplishments.

I DO have NRA stickers in the windows of my pickups, but that is to make a statement to 'the non-gun-owning public'.
Can't see any need to do that here.

CM

cbrick
01-22-2013, 02:07 PM
Dunno, I've held a forty-year grudge against Jane Fonda with no problem. :) :coffee:

That is not even a comparison. Grudge doesn't even come close to the feelings of anyone with even a tiny bit of ability to think for themselves. Yeah, my grudge says she belongs in front of firing squad as opposed to living the high life on the bodies of her dead victims. But that's another story for another thread. We did just have such a thread a week or so ago. Where you been?

Rick

Recluse
01-22-2013, 02:47 PM
Where you been?

Rick

Busy. Working on my next book and it's taking a lot of research as well as some travel to get a feel for the land, people, etc.

We became "grandparents" over the holidays, which is a story in and of itself--three-and-a-half-year-old and a seven-year-old who turns eight next month. Long story, no biology involved, just a lot of love for two young adults who have struggled against all odds to stay in love, take care of their family and each other and with zero help from a bad upbringing.

The youngest boy wrote to Santa in December and asked if "Aunt Lois and Uncle JD could become Grandma Lois and Grandpa JD because, Santa, I don't have any grandparents who love me."

How do you say no to that?

So along with that and the wife's worsening health issues, book research, part-time work, church and a few other volunteer projects I'm involved in, time has been scarce. Starting to settle down a bit.

Bad Water Bill
01-22-2013, 03:30 PM
You sir have a heart of gold.

Put my name down for a copy of that new book.

It was released yesterday wasn't it.wasn't it?:bigsmyl2:

Ajax
01-22-2013, 03:36 PM
I will join the NRA again when they stop negotiating rights away.

Andy

Recluse
01-22-2013, 03:39 PM

Andy

If the overwhelming majority of gun-owners were NRA members, they wouldn't have to negotiate a damned thing because nobody but nobody argues with a 90-million member association.

But until that happens, it's a convenient excuse, I suppose.

wallenba
01-22-2013, 03:39 PM
I didn't know how to either, got it done though. Hey mods, how about an option for us S.A.S.S. boys.

cbrick
01-22-2013, 04:37 PM
I will join the NRA again when they stop negotiating rights away. Andy

If the overwhelming majority of gun-owners were NRA members, they wouldn't have to negotiate a damned thing because nobody but nobody argues with a 90-million member association. But until that happens, it's a convenient excuse, I suppose. :coffee:

Rights are to be taken for granted, should a problem come up somebody else will take care of it for me, no need for ME to do anything.

No shortage of folks that feel that way. That's why there are just over 4 million NRA members and 90-100 million gun owners and the same basic reasoning is why we have obummer. Again.

That ain't gonna fly this time. Either we boost the NRA membership in a huge way or we can all simply bend over and kiss our collective heiny's, our rights and our guns good bye.

Rick

Ajax
01-22-2013, 06:14 PM
The NRA has negotiated just as many rights away as they have protected. So you would have us us pay for our rights to be negotiated away. I don't think so. I do more for our collective rights than is known. i voted with my money i gave my money to GOA.

Andy

cbrick
01-22-2013, 06:21 PM
The NRA has negotiated just as many rights away as they have protected. Andy

Really . . . List some.

Rick

TXGunNut
01-22-2013, 06:27 PM
I'm glad the NRA has had a huge influx of members but it's just a good start. Been a life member for over 20 years and IIRC the fee was $250 then. Current price is a bargain but we need to remember that membership dues are not used for political reasons. We need to support the NRA-ILA as much as we can.

hiram1
01-22-2013, 06:28 PM
I just did it.

MKastning
01-22-2013, 06:42 PM
Recluse, I just sent your e-book home to my Kindle. Looking forward to reading it!

Big Boomer
01-22-2013, 06:44 PM
I was an annual NRA member for several years ... then I started upping for 3 years. Along the way I sent a year's worth of membership money to the ILA from time to time. A year or so ago I bumped up my membership to the 5-year level. Then a week or so ago I purchased the special Life Membership for my son and me. Then I coerced my brother into a Life Membership this morning, having given him a gift membership last year. All to a good cause. 'Tuck (as in Kentuck)

o6Patient
01-22-2013, 06:46 PM
I am a NRA Life Member but just haven't figured out this whole avatar thing yet.[smilie=1:

o6Patient
01-22-2013, 07:00 PM
there I got it

Lance Boyle
01-22-2013, 07:10 PM
Well I think I edited in my NRA Lifemember status. didn't think it was a big deal to list it, but it is important to be one. Just for you OP!

Geeze Beekeeper, I don't think they wanted to exclude you. Heck I'm reading through 3 boxes of old American Riflemen from the 1960's and they're full of what the NRA members in the Republic of VN are doing and discussions of the new M16 rifle and it's ammo issues. Lots of lists of awards and sadly memorializing the guys who were KIA.

DCM
01-22-2013, 07:14 PM
I am disappointed that I am not seeing more members of this forum with NRA membership logo's in their Avatar. On a day when we have probably the most anti gun president ever in our history :(being sworn in, the NRA is quite probably gun owners "Last Best Hope", of retaining our traditions. Consider memberships not only for yourselfs, but also for your spouse and your kids if you can afford it.

It took me a while to figure out how to put the banner in as I am not real computer savvy.
I do not advertise ANYTHING on my vehicles etc., but I figure it is pretty much a given by being here that I own guns and support the second amendment, so why not here? I always had it in my personal info file anyways.

220swiftfn
01-23-2013, 02:57 AM

Andy

Hmmmm..... MAYBE if EVERY gun owner in America JOINED the NRA, they wouldn't have to budge on ANY issue...... Think about that for a bit..... A lobby force of what, about 150 MILLION members???? Rethink your position, sir. Join a national (NRA) and a local (SCOPE for me) and convince your gun owning friends to do the same, and soon enough, we'll have our RIGHT back.....

Dan

Freightman
01-23-2013, 01:31 PM
Have bro- in law who has guns but thinks of the NRA as just wanting to much of his money, understand his income is above 150K per year but you would think he is on poverty level and was starving. He refuses to join an sees no problem for others to take all the responsibility of protecting his rights. He is like a lot of people "let someone else do it" but when someone else fails who is going to do it?

woody1
01-23-2013, 03:03 PM
The NRA has negotiated just as many rights away as they have protected. So you would have us us pay for our rights to be negotiated away. I don't think so. I do more for our collective rights than is known. i voted with my money i gave my money to GOA.

Andy

Was going to stay out of this but can't....Ajax, the anti's love it when they can get a division in our ranks. Remember the addage...."divide and conquer." For me, there's only one game in town and it's the NRA. Don't know if it shows up in my avitar or not, Guess we'll see. Regards, Woody

02-09-2013, 08:02 AM
I found this thread searching for how to put the NRA under my avatar. Thanks

Moonie
02-13-2013, 02:25 PM

I want to thank you, this spurred me to join finally. I do feel embarrassed that I hadn't done it before.

cbrick
02-13-2013, 02:40 PM
I want to thank you, this spurred me to join finally. I do feel embarrassed that I hadn't done it before.

Not a problem, ya gotter did now. :mrgreen:

Rick

Garpo
02-13-2013, 03:16 PM
I occasionally run into pro-gun folks that have issues with the NRA but when I do I just ask them a few simple questions, such as:

What single pro 2A organization has done more to protect your rights?

What organization, being church, social club, country club, political organization, etc. that you can say you agree with 100% of the time?

If there is something that you don’t like about the NRA, what are you doing about it to bring about change? In other words, get involved!

There are always some folks, for whatever reason, feel compelled to look for the fly poop in the pepper. That’s their prerogative, keep on trucking. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Most of us know that we are at war with an regime (enemy) that given the opportunity, would love to strip us of every firearm we own and make us an instant criminal for not complying with their demands.

You need not love the NRA but keep in mind that they are our strongest ally in a war that we would surly loose if not for their existence, and I am convinced of that!

Bad Water Bill
02-13-2013, 03:33 PM
Well said and welcome to our happy home

woody1
02-13-2013, 04:12 PM
Thank you, Moonie, for joining. Now, may I ask you to write to your Senators and Reps? Regards, WOody

Ozarki
02-13-2013, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the info on the avitar. I can bearly find the on button on this thing , let alone all the fancy tricks
Wes

Garpo
02-14-2013, 10:59 AM
Well said and welcome to our happy home

Thanks Bill, happy to be here.

Phoenix
02-14-2013, 03:39 PM
I give to the NRA in a manner that Does not afford me membership. I cost them nothing not being a member. But I give them at least $100 per year sometimes more.

Last year I gave cash to the NRA table at the local gun show 3 times, $20 each. I placed 16 orders from online resellers of gun stuff and donated $2-$5 each time. So in 2012 alone I donated more than $100. I am already on track to donate more this year. I really don't care to be on a list. Don't want the magazine, and don't want more than is absolutely needed to detract from the money I donate. Membership doesn't afford me needed benefits and in the end my donations should be worth more because of it.

Now if they made it something like a civil defense fund where they would defend me against frivalous charges brought by overzealous prosecutors I would probably join in a hot minute. Even at much higher cost. (examples: Home school legal defense Association)

I guess my point is just because I don't have a label next to my name doesn't mean I don't support them as much or more than those who do.

Phoenix

shooter93
02-14-2013, 08:20 PM
The NRA wants money?....ofcourse they do. Like it or not the things they do cost money. They don't get a check from the Government, not even a obamaphone. On the legislative side costs are staggering. They truth is if they had every gun owner as a member we'd have a much easier time beating gun control issues. They are not interested in locking horns with 100 million armed people. They are not perfect, neither is GOA or the JPFO but every gun owner should still join. I've been a benefactor since I was quite a bit younger just didn't advertise the fact with a banner here and I'd sure there are many members who belong but don't have the banner.

Moonie
02-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Thank you, Moonie, for joining. Now, may I ask you to write to your Senators and Reps? Regards, WOody

This I have done, for years.

Ajax
02-18-2013, 06:28 PM
Just donating money doesn't mean you did your part in the fight for gun rights. That is just passing the buck. Write your legislators, go visit them and talk to them. Bombard their offices with emails faxes and phone calls. Make known your feelings on issues. They supposedly work for us so make your wishes known, if you had a unruly employee would you just pay someone to try and convey you wishes or would you talk to them yourself. I have not joined the NRA due to being in a meeting with legislators and the local NRA rep started negotiating rights away while we were working on our castle doctrine expansion. We had the votes to get it passed clean and he started negotiating with the liberals to close the Fla. loophole (right now a Fla. non-resident license is recognized by the state of Pa. New state attorney general has changed that) So we had the vote in the bag and he wanted to give up people who can't get a license say in Philly ( where the sheriff denies all applications). That specific enough for you? I donate to other gun rights organizations. I also do my part by actually taking the time to contact my reps and make sure my thoughts are conveyed.

Andy

shooter93
02-18-2013, 07:56 PM
I fully understand your feelings Andy and the doctrine expansion you mentioned was still too weak for me. Truth is you had both the Castle Doctrines and carry permits throughout the United States without legislation since the Constitution was ratified with the Bill of Rights. Why does the NRA negotiate?...in a large part because they use the clout they have as far as they can. We are all in this together....wether you own only a 22 for fun or a 100 AR's. Their goal is taking them all from the public....period. How do you stop this short of shooting?....more clout. The NRA is not perfect but the first step is to get EVERY gun owners to join. The second step is to convince the to vote pro gun. 100 million gun owners....that's clout....can you imagine how difficult it would be to pass any gun control legislation or for an anti gun president to get elected. They aren't perfect but right now it's the best way to increase our voting base that politicians will listen to......now don't make me drive down there and smack you around Andy....lol.

Bad Water Bill
02-18-2013, 08:41 PM
Here in ILL I NOIS at the start of the new legislature the antis came up with a boatload of junk. Wellllll thanks to a lot of good gun owners the opposition actually begged for mercy. We sent so many phone calls that they couldn't keep the answering machines or the phones working. The e mail boxes overflowed.

Finally they asked the N R A rep to have his folks (you and me) stop as they got the message.

Todd simply said "Your constituents are speaking. Only you can stop YOUR problem by NOT trying to pass this type of law.

The video of all of those bills being put back in a slezeball politicians briefcase and the frustrated look on her face was PRICELESS.

daniel lawecki
02-18-2013, 08:55 PM
Freedom always comes with some type of cost money or lives. Its been that way since this Great Nation was formed.

trooperdan
02-18-2013, 10:12 PM
Let me if I'm right.

Ajax
02-19-2013, 09:15 AM
I agree Scott and i did join for one year to see how they handle this proposed gun legislation and i will decide from there.

Andy

Ramar
02-19-2013, 09:42 AM
I'm also one that does not do that peacock stuff.(beware when you're in agreement with CM) I'm real careful that strangers don't know I'm an NRA member because my appearance can intimidate them and make them uncomfortable which is not good for the NRA's first impressions of "Who is the NRA". I don't look like Wayne LA P. I'm not a life member but been an NRA "Golden Eagles" member since its inception 20 years ago. That's $200 dollars a year from a SS only income and it's a bunch more than some "life members" pay but I'm sure they donate also more than their dues, I know I do. Money is what they need. I wish more members knew about the Golden Eagles and their youth programs in education. Every member's heard of Eddy Eagle, right? The founding year I got to me Charlton Heston at a Golden Eagles breakfast up Virginia Beach way; talk about a memorable handshake.............

Ramar

Mike in TX
02-19-2013, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the instructions on NRA. From a proud member

badge176
02-19-2013, 12:02 PM
Recently rejoined and now wave that banner on my profile

400short
02-19-2013, 12:14 PM
What a coincidence. I was trying to figure out this the other day. Lets see if it worked.

rhadamanthos12
02-19-2013, 10:41 PM
I donate to them, but I am not a member. I don't agree with a few things Wayne Lapierre says and I refuse to be a member of something that I feel doesn't represent me as a person. My biggest sticking point is his video game stance, My wife and I love to play video games together, it is something we have done since we met over 9yrs ago. To me it seems like he is involved in a misdirection, just like the media points to gun owners. Both sides are going to keep pointing fingers at something that deflects blame from themselves, I'm not saying either group is at fault but we will never get any meaningful dialogue when they are playing pin the tail on the donkey blame game.

Edit

Here is a quote Mr. Lapierre used about video games after the newtown Incident, just wanted to provide this so others wouldn't have to hunt it down on the net.

"And here's another dirty little truth that the media try their best to conceal: There exists in this country a callous, corrupt and corrupting shadow industry that sells, and sows, violence against its own people. Through vicious, violent video games with names like Bulletstorm, Grand Theft Auto, Mortal Kombat and Splatterhouse. And here’s one: it’s called Kindergarten Killers. It’s been online for 10 years. How come my research department could find it and all of yours either couldn’t or didn’t want anyone to know you had found it?"

Randy C
02-19-2013, 10:56 PM
I have sent them money several times I don’t like the ph calls