PDA

View Full Version : will pan lubing in <200 degree oven ruin oven hardened bullets?

dexterblack
01-21-2013, 11:40 AM
Hi. I found a small used convection oven for $15 bucks (!) I oven treated some Lee c312-155 2Rs at 445 degrees for an hour, then quenched 'em. I wanted to pan lube them, so I double boiled some SPG (it's what I have) and poured it around the boolits sitting in a room-temperature pan -- and it worked great. BUT...it would sure be convenient to insert additional boolits in the holes left behind in the solidified SPG "cake" in the pan -- and then simply let 'em sit in a 185 degree oven for a bit.

HOWEVER, I'm worried that that convenient way of lubing additional boolits will ruin, or otherwise alter the effects of the high-temp oven-hardening previously done to them (a couple of days ago.) Do I need to worry about exposing oven treated (ww + 1% Sn) boolits to lube-melting temperatures in the oven? 'Anyone else do this with heat treated bullets? Please advise.

Thanks!

1Shirt
01-21-2013, 12:49 PM
Doubt it would be a problem, but seems like a PIA to me to do it that way.
1Shirt!

dexterblack
01-21-2013, 01:28 PM
My reasoning may be flawed, that's true. But, boolits drop into place, already arranged, and the bases/gc's go all the way down to bare bread-pan, with little or no lube across the base. The boolits do not fall over when handling -- at least before heating the lube. (After, too, if my wife doesn't need the oven for a while). The lube is already perfectly leveled for that particular boolit, too, with only very occasional small additions of lube needed.

Aw, heck, maybe I should just get a Star-lube press and oversized die, and be done with it. 'Kinda broke right now, though.

Regards,

Dexter

runfiverun
01-21-2013, 03:26 PM
you'll be fine,just get the lube melted and take them out or turn it off whatever.
185 should be all you need to melt the lube.
you aren't soaking the boolits for an hour.

felix
01-21-2013, 03:28 PM
It takes roughly 300 degrees to de-harden the MAJORITY of lead alloys used as boolits. ... felix