PDA

View Full Version : Lee Pro 4-20 VS Pro 20

1Papalote
07-14-2007, 12:06 PM
Fellas, Is the 4-20 worth the additional cost of $10? Is the 4" of clearance that much better? Faster? Please advise.

1Papalote

Marc2
07-14-2007, 11:09 PM
Yes. The 4-20 also has a mold guide that has worked well for me.

Marc

Johnch
07-14-2007, 11:35 PM
Fellas, Is the 4-20 worth the additional cost of $10?

1 word answer YES

Is the 4" of clearance that much better?

1Papalote

Yes , it allows you to see what you are doing better
Also I have found some moulds fill out better when I allow 1" of space between the nossle and the sprue plate
Sort of free fall
can't do it with the 2" clearance models

Johnch

USARO4
07-15-2007, 10:33 AM
I agree with the posts above for all the reasons they have stated. It's $10 well spent.

dromia
07-15-2007, 11:26 AM
I'd recommend going the extra $200 and get the RCBS Pro Melt or any other make of furnace for that matter, unless you have Lee fettling as one of your hobbies.

:castmine:

1Papalote
07-16-2007, 11:34 AM
Thanks men. I would like to have a higher end pot but funds are not available. I need serviceable equipment. I have the LEE 10# pot and find it to be too small as have many others. I guess if one looks at the cost of a 10#er and a new 20#er, I would be half way there to an RCBS pot. Thanks again.

1Papalote

Springfield
07-16-2007, 12:26 PM
The RCBS seems a lot more expensive, but if you are doing any kind of volume or plan on casting for a long time it is well worth it. I had 5 LEE pots before I finally bought a used RCBS. It was so much better I coldn't believe it. Actually I had bought an auction lot of reloading stuff, lots of bullets and moulds and a large Dilon tumbler. I used the tumbler for a while but liked my Lyman's better. Melted all the ulltsdown, and sold most of the mouds on e-bay for lts of money. I opened the box on the RCBS( was new) and decided to sell it and buy 2 new LEE's. Seemed to make sense at the time. A year later the LEE's just weren't doing the job size wise, and a used RCBS came up on a shooting forum, so I bought it. After a week of using teh RCBS I was kicking myslef, I coulda been using one for the last year, and almost for free! It works so much better.It is bigger, an honest 22 ponds compared to the actual 17 pounds of the LEE. And it has a REAL thermostat mounted on the pot, not in the tower NEXT to the pot. And it doesn't drip. I now have a 40 pound 1500 watt Magma.
I will never sell teh RCBS, it just works too well.

Marc2
07-16-2007, 01:01 PM
I have both the RCBS and the Lee Pro 20-4. The Lee drips, the RCBS doesnt. The RCBS has a thermostat that you can set to temp. The Lee has a numbered dial setting that doesnt necessarily correspond to temp. I use a RCBS thermometer in the Lee pot. The bullets look the same from both. Pick your poison.

Marc

Shiloh
07-16-2007, 09:57 PM
Fellas, Is the 4-20 worth the additional cost of $10? Is the 4" of clearance that much better? Faster? Please advise.

1Papalote

Ditto what every one else says!! Spend the extra $10

Shiloh :castmine: