PDA

View Full Version : Slugged my barrel...

layusn1
07-14-2007, 12:35 AM
OK, I did the fish sinker method of slugging the barrel of my CZ75 9mm. For what its worth...Imperial Sizing Die Wax made an excellent lube for the sinker. I measured the sinker across at all of the grooves, just to be safe, and I got .3545 for all the measurements. Does that mean I should be fine with the usual .356 cast bullet? Thanks.

44man
07-14-2007, 07:44 AM
No problem. All that matters is if a round will feed and chamber. My friend even shoots .357 out of his 9mm. You have a good chance to play with different diameters to see if one size is more accurate.
Just make a dummy round with any larger diameter boolits to make sure they function.

arkypete
07-14-2007, 08:48 AM
I've got a buddy that likes to use my .357, 140 grain SWC mold in his 9mm. I size mine .3585 to fit the cyclinder mouths. He sizes his .357 with excellent results.
Jim

Char-Gar
07-14-2007, 10:13 AM
Yep..you are good to go at .356. or .357 or even .358. Will one provide better accuracy than another? Well maybe so and maybe not. The only way to know is to try it.

layusn1
07-14-2007, 04:23 PM
I think what I might do, since I am not going to start out doing huge volumes in the beginning, is get the Lee size kits in .356 and .357 and pan lube with Lar's Red. I figure that only puts me out a little over $20 for the sizing kits to see which one fits best and then when I move up to larger volumes I can look at an RCBS or Lyman sizer/luber. I measured some of the X-treme plated bullets I bought to try and they are just barely larger than my barrel...I suppose that could explain the marginal performance?

leftiye
07-14-2007, 10:39 PM
Yup! Also, the lee sizers are actually better sizers as they push on the base. Boolits are sized squarer, and the noses don't get distorted. You want the boolits a thou or two larger than the barrel. Depending how you measured the X-treme boolits, the oversizedness could have been good. If you don't have a micrometer (1") you should get one. Too big definitely wouldn't be too good though.